Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mon§terful Duegon§ ! (The duegons)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
SuperV
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
IP: Logged

File: Monsterful Duegons.hold (31.3 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: Other
icon Mon§terful Duegon§ ! (0)  
Please test this my hold. Post Bugs, Comments.

SuperV hint : BUY JTRH!
05-02-2005 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Re: Mon§terful Duegon§ ! (0)  
SuperV wrote:
Please test this my hold. Post Bugs, Comments.
The hold is rather a mixture.

There are a few decent puzzles in it, somewhat diluted by quite a number of uninteresting or tedious rooms, or interesting concepts that feel under-worked. The naming of your levels also, I think, make the hold look quite unprofessional. Overall, you've got some interesting concepts, but I think they need quite a bit more effort put into them to make them really interesting. Look for rooms like L1 1N 2W, L3 1W and L8 1N, which have very basic, undeveloped concepts in them, and try to expand on them by increasing their puzzle content. For example, in L2 1E, you have two rattlesnakes in a mostly empty room. To make it more interesting, you could take advantage of the Rattlesnake movement feature that makes them stop moving if thir heads can't move, so making their tails inaccessible. By adding narrow 1 or 2-square passages, lots of possible dead-ends and perhaps more long rattlesnakes, you can create a room where you must try to keep the rattlesnakes in positions where their tails are accessible, while avoiding getting trapped.

I haven't played much yet, but I think L1 1S appears to be unsolvable due to too many monsters being spawned per 30 moves. I did note, however, that L5 1W is quite an interesting room. At present it's fairly trivial, since you can leave the way you entered, but I think it could be made more interesting if you were forced to enter the central chamber with the Slayer before being able to leave. In this way, you'd make the timer far more challenging, and potentially have an interesting Slayer fight sequence too. You might need to adjust the green door positions to ensure it's solvable, though.

I also don't quite get the advertisements in the description, L1 2N and L8 4N 1W. Why do you need to advertise JtRH or DROD.net if the player is already playing the game? They don't add anything to the hold, are superfluous, and so most people will probably ignore them anyway.

I notice that you seem to have a number of unfinished holds floating around, which appear to have been dropped in favour of your new projects. Aren't you going back to finish them before releasing a new hold?

05-02-2005 at 05:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Mon§terful Duegon§ ! (The duegons)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com