Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : drod crashes at end of 1st level...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon drod crashes at end of 1st level... (0)  
complete level 1, then, while beethro is walking down the stairs, hit any key on they keypad and drod closes. I have not tested this on other levels (I mean, I really shouldn't be playing at work, but what the hay!!!).

06-23-2003 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
icon Re: drod crashes at end of 1st level... (0)  
I think this was fixed with build 23, so never mind.

06-23-2003 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Never mind again... I just did it on level 2 as well. It crashes the same way on build 23
06-23-2003 at 09:34 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: drod crashes at end of 1st level... (0)  
bradwall wrote:
Never mind again... I just did it on level 2 as well. It crashes the same way on build 23
Brad, I'm having trouble reproducing it.

If you restore from the checkpoint in the last room of level one and go down the steps and then hit a key, does it crash? If you repeat the steps this way does it crash every time or just some?

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Re: Re: drod crashes at end of 1st level... (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Brad, I'm having trouble reproducing it.

My 2 cents: I saw this problem in build 16, and spent forever trying to reliably reproduce it so I could file a bug report.
It seemed to be happening almost entirely at random.
Then, build 17 came out, and it stopped happening for me altogether, so I assumed it was fixed.

It appeared to me that it would almost always happen with the spacebar, but never with any other key (don't know if I tried one on the number pad). Another weird thing was that it seemed like once I had successfully exited the level without crashing, I couldn't get that specific level to crash anymore. Like I said after build 17 it hasn't happened to me again... and I just tried it in 23 and couldn't get it to happen.
I'll keep trying, but like I said, I didn't have any luck spotting any consistent way to do it last time.

-Bryan

[Edited by bdcribbs on 06-24-2003 at 12:02 AM]
06-23-2003 at 11:47 PM
bdcribbs
Another thing I just remembered was that it seemed more likely to crash if I hit the key immediately, while still on the first step. May have been a coincidence though.

ErikH2000 wrote:
If you restore from the checkpoint in the last room of level one and go down the steps and then hit a key, does it crash?
It didn't seem to make a difference when I was seeing this behaviour whether I had restored or if it was my first time through.

ErikH2000 wrote:
If you repeat the steps this way does it crash every time or just some?
Inconsistently. (although see my previous post about never crashing after a successful exit, which also could have been coincidental).
06-23-2003 at 11:52 PM
bradwall
Strange, I can't get it to do it now. It may be becuase I didn't play the entire level, but that I restored at the checkpoint at that last room where the stairs are.

06-23-2003 at 11:56 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: drod crashes at end of 1st level... (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
I keep trying, but like I said, I'm didn't have any luck spotting any consistent way to do it last time.
I hate these kinds of bugs, but oh well--gotta fix 'em. I'll test and review the code some more.

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Brad and Bryan,

You got the crash immediately after the keypress?

Did the screen start to fade before the crash?

Did you get it in fullscreen mode?

-Erik

06-24-2003 at 12:48 AM
bdcribbs
Still no luck here Erik, been trying every sort of variation of circumstances I can think of.

ErikH2000 wrote:
You got the crash immediately after the keypress?

Did the screen start to fade before the crash?
No fade out, always happened immediately.

ErikH2000 wrote:
Did you get it in fullscreen mode?
I've never seen it outside of fullscreen mode, then again, I rarely play outside of fullscreen mode.
06-24-2003 at 12:57 AM
bdcribbs
Just in case you hadn't noticed, you may want to cross reference this with whatever work might have been done on "minor glitch at level end"... these bugs may be related.

06-24-2003 at 01:02 AM
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
I just tried this. Upgraded from build 19 to 22 then from 22 to 23 then started a new game. Played level 1 all the way through did hit the checkpoint at the stairs. Once on the stairs I hit the down arrow once and crashed to the desktop. Screen goes black first then just back to the desktop. I was running in full screen mode.
06-24-2003 at 01:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtmaWeapon
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I'm having the same problem with build 23. I restored once and it happened again, but now no matter where I try and restore, the game instantly closes itself. I can continue, but it starts me at the beginning of level 1.
06-24-2003 at 07:16 PM
ErikH2000
AtmaWeapon wrote:
I'm having the same problem with build 23. I restored once and it happened again, but now no matter where I try and restore, the game instantly closes itself. I can continue, but it starts me at the beginning of level 1.
The crash caused corruption of the data, so we are still looking at one bug here--what causes the crash.

I'm hoping the extra debug messages I plan to put into build 24 will shed light.

-Erik

06-24-2003 at 07:44 PM
Hevneren
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Well same happened to me when i first started playing. You can move on to next level if u only push down once to get to the stairs. once he is on the stairs he would move automaticly. i havent tryed to reproduce the bug on higher level. to afraid of doing the maps again :). first time it happened i press actually quite a few numpad keys before it happened. Last button i pressed was numpad 8. dont think i pressed it moore than once.(or was it numpad 5) but atleast imminent crash. game started as normal just that u begin on lvl 1 again.

v1.6 build 23

[Edited by Hevneren on 06-26-2003 at 12:42 AM]

[Edited by Hevneren on 06-26-2003 at 08:10 AM]

06-26-2003 at 01:22 AM
bdcribbs
ErikH2000 wrote:
AtmaWeapon wrote:
The crash caused corruption of the data, so we are still looking at one bug here--what causes the crash.

I'm hoping the extra debug messages I plan to put into build 24 will shed light.

-Erik

That is odd, because when it was happening to me (which it hasn't since build 16) it did not corrupt my data. If I restarted the game I'd continue at the start the next level.

Sounds bad to say it, but I *wish* I could get the thing to crash for me again.
What really bugs me is that it just stopped happening on my computer altogether, even if I move everything out of the way and completely repeat the process that led to it initially. I just can't get it to crash anymore :(

06-27-2003 at 06:38 AM
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
And this is a bad thing.

I thought the point of the beta was to not find bugs. ;)

Matt

06-27-2003 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Mattcrampy wrote:
I thought the point of the beta was to not find bugs. ;)

:) that would be funny, except that I'm tech managing a release at work and I've been dealing all day today with a tester here who seems to think exactly that... he keeps cringing and is afraid to report bugs because he thinks if things don't work perfectly he must be using it wrong... :twak
I keep trying to explain to him that finding bugs is the whole point of what he is doing... *sigh*

06-27-2003 at 07:30 AM
ross
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
bdcribbs wrote:
he keeps cringing and is afraid to report bugs because he thinks if things don't work perfectly he must be using it wrong... :twak
I keep trying to explain to him that finding bugs is the whole point of what he is doing... *sigh*

I've worked with testers before who think I am going to be angry if they found bugs in my code ... trying to explain that the opposite was true (that I really really want to find and kill them) was so difficult you wouldn't believe. Must have had a bad experience with someone else I reckon...
06-27-2003 at 08:59 AM
ErikH2000
bdcribbs wrote:
That is odd, because when it was happening to me (which it hasn't since build 16) it did not corrupt my data. If I restarted the game I'd continue at the start the next level.
Okay, here is a little under-the-hood explanation:

DROD writes saved games, demos, player settings, etc. to a database. In order to make things fast, the database caches the writes in memory. It doesn't write them to disk immediately. This is nice because it allows us to hide away the saving process so the player can concentrate on the game. If we wrote to disk immediately for all saved games, there would be a 2 or 3 second pause every time you stepped on a checkpoint or moved to a new room.

Occasionally, we transfer the cached writes to disk ("flushing" ). I think we do this several places in the editor, one or two places in the regular game, and always right before you exit.

If the game crashes during flushing, you are likely to end up with a corrupted database because only part of the cached writes will make it to disk.

If the game crashes at other times, the cached writes are simply lost. It is the same as going back in time to the point just after the previous flush. When this happens, you lose data, but in a clean way.
Sounds bad to say it, but I *wish* I could get the thing to crash for me again.
It doesn't sound bad at all. The bug is still there and needs finding.

-Erik

06-27-2003 at 04:51 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Hah, hah! You're wrong! I just fixed it! (No one minds being wrong in this way, right?) It'll be in build 24.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-27-2003 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : drod crashes at end of 1st level...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com