Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Favorite JtRH Character
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
IP: Logged
icon Favorite JtRH Character (0)  
39th Slayer

Did the other 38 not make the "cut"?
heh heh heh

04-24-2005 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Favorite JtRH Character (0)  
Heh :)

Actually, the number is a ranking - 39th slayer means that there are 38 other, more powerful slayers out there.

04-24-2005 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
eytanz wrote:
Actually, the number is a ranking - 39th slayer means that there are 38 other, more powerful slayers out there.
If that's the case, why didn't the Empire send out the 4th Slayer or something higher than 39?

And to keep this on topic, my favorite is a tie between the Negoriator and the citizen who pops up randomly to comment on Beethro's delving.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:04-24-2005 at 06:22 PM]

04-24-2005 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: Favorite JtRH Character (+1)  
I am partial to the Mud Coordinator.

PS Why wasn't it the "Mud Manager"?
04-24-2005 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=2910&page=0

Meh. Look closely at the names ;) .

I think that the pit thing is my favourtie so far.

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:04-24-2005 at 10:44 PM]
04-24-2005 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
If that's the case, why didn't the Empire send out the 4th Slayer or something higher than 39?

They didn't send him out, he happened to be there teaching a slayer course. Once he realizes that Beethro is more than just a bungling above-grounder, he sends runners for help - if you pay attention during the game, you'll see what happens to the message.

Besides, since we don't know (well, I don't know, maybe Erik and Mike do) how many slayers there are overall, it's not clear whether 39 is overall high or low.

04-24-2005 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I think it's important to pay attention to the grammar in the text. The Slayer refers to himself as "39th Slayer", not "The 39th Slayer". In my mind, it just means he is one of many...not a descendant. And it's possible that they are all clones of each other or something...and this is how they tell them apart. But that's not clear or anything...after all, the Runners have different numbers and yet they look different. This is just me speculating. :)

Also, Eytan, the Negotiator says on level 2 that a Slayer will be dispatched (again, "a" Slayer, one of many, like sending "a" policeman), so I don't think he just happened to be hanging out on level 3 teaching a course...I think he decided to take the students along to get a real example instead.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-24-2005 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I think the Empire has a fixed number of those ceremonial occupations, something like a hundred Slayers, a thousand Runners and so on. So 39th Slayer means more than just a job - it's a privileged position, probably passed on from a master to his best student when the time comes. The Slayer may die, but there will always be 39th Slayer, it just will be another guy. I can imagine a Runner will be sent to his successor with the ceremonial hook and dress.

04-24-2005 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Good point, it could even be a certain region. Perhaps the 39th Slayer is simply responsible for the part of the Empire below KDD?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-24-2005 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Oneiromancer - I'm not speculating, you know. There is documentation that describes who the slayer is, and what "39th" means. You have access to them too. It's not regional, it is a heirarchy, and the numbers always refer to current numbers, not historically. Maurog - you are right about the fact that if a slayer dies then someone else will be the 39th slayer, but it will be whoever is 40th slayer at the time, not necessarily the 39th slayer's favorite student.

Oneiromancer is right about the Negotiator, though. But given the short time span, I'm guessing that the slayer that was dispatched was one who was nearby anyway, not necessarily the best one available (this is a guess, though, not based on any official knowledge). And of course, early in the hold the Empire just didn't recognize how competant Beethro is.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:04-24-2005 at 11:54 PM]

04-24-2005 at 11:54 PM
Oneiromancer
eytanz wrote:
Oneiromancer - I'm not speculating, you know. There is documentation that describes who the slayer is, and what "39th" means. You have access to them too. It's not regional, it is a heirarchy, and the numbers always refer to current numbers, not historically.

Yes, I know what you're talking about, except that when I went to check I didn't find the information anymore. So I had to rely on my memory, which may be faulty. Besides, if the speculation becomes more interesting than the actuality, it can always be changed, since it isn't officially known anyway (it's definitely not discussed in-game). ;)

Game on,

04-25-2005 at 12:07 AM
Kevin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 262
Oneiromancer wrote:
Besides, if the speculation becomes more interesting than the actuality, it can always be changed, since it isn't officially known anyway (it's definitely not discussed in-game). ;)

Actually, it is mentioned at one point in the game. If you get to the stairs in the seventh level without entering the room from the south, the slayer will refer to 38th slayer by saying,
Click here to view the secret text

This implies that the numbers refer to a hierarchy.
04-25-2005 at 12:43 AM
Oneiromancer
Alrighty then, I stand corrected, and will stop being difficult. ;)

Game on,

04-25-2005 at 12:48 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Well, I've got the leatherbound first edition of the Eighth Canon sitting on my lap here. Thumbing through the pages, I see the authoritative answer. I shouldn't share too liberally from the Book, but it can't hurt to quote this one section...
Rank and Occupation
Any human of the Rooted Empire is called by his rank and occupation, i.e. "39th Slayer" or "583rd Plumber". This is the only name an Empire citizen ever has. A lower number indicates a higher rank, and there are no two citizens of one occupation who also share the same rank. Generally, rank is accorded by seniority, but occasionally someone screws up so bad that they get demoted. Promotion is practically unheard of, and only comes when someone ahead of you has been demoted or dies. A change in occupation is unthinkable.

The one exception is when a new occupation becomes necessary by changing circumstances - in that case, appropriate individuals from other occupations are reassigned to the new occupation. Needless to say, this event is very rare, happening once every several hundreds of years at most. It has, however, happened relatively recently: see The Tar/Mud rivalry for details.

-Erik

04-25-2005 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Favorite JtRH Character (+5)  
Makes you wonder what kids are called. Maybe something like 58th Spitballer, or 93rd Bedwetter.

04-26-2005 at 03:54 AM
eytanz
Heh :)

Though I'm not sure if Empire citizens are ever kids - Remember the tar technician's revelations on level 12... (disclaimer - this is speculation, I have no hidden knowledge about Empire reporductive methods)

04-26-2005 at 03:57 AM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
Okay, getting back on topic here... (I read all through the 39th Slayer dispute, if you will.) :fun

My favorite character is the pit monster...or pit whatever. :?

04-26-2005 at 04:55 AM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
My favorite Character in JtRH would have to be Beethro!!!
But, besides him, I although they are more monsters than characters, I would have to say the Rock Golems are really fun.

04-26-2005 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
ErikH2000 wrote:
Well, I've got the leatherbound first edition of the Eighth Canon sitting on my lap here. Thumbing through the pages, I see the authoritative answer. I shouldn't share too liberally from the Book, but it can't hurt to quote this one section...
Rank and Occupation
Any human of the Rooted Empire is called by his rank and occupation, i.e. "39th Slayer" or "583rd Plumber". This is the only name an Empire citizen ever has. A lower number indicates a higher rank, and there are no two citizens of one occupation who also share the same rank. Generally, rank is accorded by seniority, but occasionally someone screws up so bad that they get demoted. Promotion is practically unheard of, and only comes when someone ahead of you has been demoted or dies. A change in occupation is unthinkable.

The one exception is when a new occupation becomes necessary by changing circumstances - in that case, appropriate individuals from other occupations are reassigned to the new occupation. Needless to say, this event is very rare, happening once every several hundreds of years at most. It has, however, happened relatively recently: see The Tar/Mud rivalry for details.

-Erik

I have made an interesting observation in this respect. (Secreting due to slight spoilery for those who haven't finished JtRH):

-leroy

06-07-2005 at 11:27 AM
eytanz
leroy00 wrote:
I have made an interesting observation in this respect. (Secreting due to slight spoilery for those who haven't finished JtRH):

-leroy

Actually,

06-07-2005 at 12:22 PM
Wiz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
hey i like theses speculations :D the Eighth and the rooted empire are becoming more interesting with that :D
well my favorite character is hmmm the goblin king ! or shall i say the 1st Goblin :fun i want to hunt him to death! that's why i like him :D
i'm now understanding more things about the citizens,and particulary why we meet the 1st mud coordinator (New occupation ^^ ) also it half-answers me about what i wonder : if 39th slayer use a hook and is pretty strong (and theorically unslayable),how more powerful is 1st slayer? but if the rank is gained with time,it means he is not frighteningly more powerfull,but he could be more dangereous ,like using a two-cases-long weapon or something...several whisps ^^
06-07-2005 at 05:41 PM
eytanz
Wiz wrote:
hey i like theses speculations :D the Eighth and the rooted empire are becoming more interesting with that :D
well my favorite character is hmmm the goblin king ! or shall i say the 1st Goblin :fun i want to hunt him to death! that's why i like him :D

It's Goblin King; the goblins aren't part of the empire (they often work for it, but as merceneries, not as citizens).

06-07-2005 at 06:16 PM
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
eytanz wrote:

Actually, ....
Okay, Eytan, you got me. I went back to check, and, of course, you're right. How big a difference a small article makes. Thanks for clearing that up, although the beheading part was just a joke. I guess that's what I get for trying to be smarter than a whole team of writers and testers. But be warned: We are keeping track of even the small details. :P

-leroy

06-08-2005 at 01:18 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
This is semi-character related, but in the credits of JtRH, Mike Rimer is listed under 'Voice Talent', but it never says what characters he voiced. What part(s) did he do?

06-10-2005 at 06:19 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
...in the credits of JtRH, Mike Rimer is listed under 'Voice Talent', but it never says what characters he voiced. What part(s) did he do?
I did the rock golems, goblins, and a few bit parts:
Acting is so much fun!

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:06-12-2005 at 01:13 AM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-12-2005 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Valtiel
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
The pit monster, whatever it is.

B'hakhgra du s'tra moth'ness ti!
06-29-2005 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
My sig!
Its is the mothingness of mothingness.It is called mothingness.

06-29-2005 at 01:51 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Valtiel wrote:
The pit monster, whatever it is.
In case anyone is interested...

We've been calling that character "the Pit Thing" since start of JtRH development. He probably has a more specific name. Kind of like on the Simpsons there is "the Comic Book Guy".

-Erik

06-29-2005 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Favorite JtRH Character
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com