Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Highscores you're proud of (A place to brag.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
IP: Logged
icon Highscores you're proud of (+2)  
Post the rooms that:
a) you have the highscore for
b) you're particularly proud of
And a reason for why you're proud of it.

I'll start:

Beethro's First Job L2 3S3E - Several people have done the obvious thing and done it in the most efficient way. I found a 42 move (~13%) improvement just now that I'm really proud of. I realize that not too many people have uploaded their scores for this hold, but I'm proud of it anyway.

04-21-2005 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Highscores you're proud of (0)  
Good work on finding a new way to do that room. When I first got the high score, I was pretty sure there was no way to top it.

That's why it pains me to tell you that you missed a fairly obvious move right at the end.

04-21-2005 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Highscores you're proud of (+1)  
Rats - I was looking for a way to do that and missed it. I'm not upset though. My optimization probably would have gone unnoticed if I hadn't posted here, and I'm still proud of it.

Edit: OOC, did you look at my solution first or did you find the optimization by yourself?

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:04-21-2005 at 04:27 AM]

04-21-2005 at 04:25 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I'll admit that I looked at your solution first. That's mainly why I feel guilty about this high score.

04-21-2005 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Journey to Rooted Hold: L22 Secret room
Click here to view the secret text

Hey, the ultimate efficiency room in JtRH! Who wouldn't be proud of having the high score for it?

It's still far from perfect, though. (Goes to play it some more)
04-21-2005 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
Doom wrote:

Ah, Doom, you should check out my post about you in the You Know You Play Fairly Too Much DROD if You... thread.

But I'll say, I was wrong. Your appetite is obviously one that requires much more than a few 20-level holds to satisfy. I'll say it again: "You are the undisputed smitemaster of DROD!" :glasses

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:04-21-2005 at 04:42 AM: Removed something unnecessary]

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:04-22-2005 at 07:51 AM]

04-21-2005 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I'm really proud of my solution of level 6 secret room with the golems. I found a way of improving the score by six (later even seven) moves by not turning my sword at all. StuartK later improved my solution by not stepping on the tunnel, making the solution perfect. That makes me a second place, but I'm really proud of it :)

04-21-2005 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
Doom wrote:
Journey to Rooted Hold: L22 Secret room
Click here to view the secret text

Hey, the ultimate efficiency room in JtRH! Who wouldn't be proud of having the high score for it?

Yes it is rather nice isn't it. I'm sure we can break 1100. I keep making a play for the caves when there's one roach too many. Must be more rational about it, but the urge to 'go for it' just grabs me. How about 'most deaths in a particular room'...
04-21-2005 at 11:13 PM
Doom
Mastergiga, there are many great players out there. I'm not any better than many of them.

And Hopelessamateur should change his name because he isn't an amateur at all.
As for that matter: 1200 broken ;)
04-22-2005 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MasterGiga
Doom wrote:
Mastergiga, there are many great players out there. I'm not any better than many of them.

And Hopelessamateur should change his name because he isn't an amateur at all.

Gotcha... O:-

04-22-2005 at 07:50 AM
HopelessAmateur
Doom wrote: Hopelessamateur should change his name
Not until I clear Bavato's Dungeon.

Doom wrote: 1200 broken ;)
Congrats! The way I see it, every mistimed thrust towards a cave costs around two spawn cycles. I've turned my 'record a demo when you die' on - it's very useful.

Also ALL HAIL BACKSPACE!

[Edited by HopelessAmateur at Local Time:04-22-2005 at 09:58 AM]
04-22-2005 at 09:58 AM
BigRedCat
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
I'm rather proud of my 1400 move extravaganza win on 8th level 1N 1E. Of course the best demos all have around 200 moves so you'll never see my demo. I never figured out that when the eyes see you the slayer comes in, so I beat the room with him on my ass the whole time. I did the room extremely wrong and still beat it!
04-22-2005 at 09:08 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I was proud to see that the first time I beat the annoying golem room in Level 17 (2S2E) I ended up getting 4th place. Not much, but still pretty impressive for someone who just wanted to change levels.

04-23-2005 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Anytime I beat StuartK after he's beaten me after I've beaten him after he's beaten me. :D

04-24-2005 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
Doom wrote:
I figured I should see what all the fuss over this room was about. When I played through the first time, I think it took me over 3000 moves, but I was able to cut that down a bit for a new high score. I was a little sloppy, so it might be possible to get this cut down by fifty moves or so (or maybe not). Of course, I'd encourage you to get close to my score (say, within fifty percent) before you take a look at the demo...

Edit: Cut off fifty moves.

[Edited by bibelot at Local Time:04-24-2005 at 07:13 AM]
04-24-2005 at 05:25 AM
HopelessAmateur
The only way that's possible is by basically NOT doing what doom and I have been doing. Let's think again... :glasses
04-24-2005 at 11:56 AM
Doom
I think I know what you did. (I've not looked at it yet.)

I tried that in the beginning but after a while I gave up and just continued with the normal way to do it.
04-24-2005 at 06:27 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Maurog wrote:
I'm really proud of my solution of level 6 secret room with the golems. I found a way of improving the score by six (later even seven) moves by not turning my sword at all. StuartK later improved my solution by not stepping on the tunnel, making the solution perfect. That makes me a second place, but I'm really proud of it :)
Really sorry about that, you most definitely deserve that #1 slot... If I'd seen the challenge first I would have left it alone, but was checking through the rooms on an ad-hoc basis, and that happened to be one I came across. What can I say? I'm competitive, and it was one move better than the demo I already had... :)

(and now I've really gone and put the cat amongst the pigeons, as I went and uploaded my highscores. I have mixed feelings about it still, but it can't be undone now, and I can now use the upload button when I have connection problems interfering with highscore updates, as has been happening regularly just recently)

Favourite rooms to optimise...

One of my favourites early on was level 2 4E. In the beta for a week or so I and Bibelot had an ongoing back-and-forth with this room. We went some 10-15 rounds before arriving at our optimal solution. I'd say this was the room I really began to look for highscores with.

Another was level 10 3E, because at the time I was playing it, I felt like I was doing something fairly unique, and learning alot about using a mimic in close formation - not really applicable often, but still interesting.

Yet another was L25 2S2E. Mimics again. I've a feeling it's possible to do this room in less than 34 moves, but I've played it so much just to find this one solution, I'm not even going to try. Makes my head spin trying to predict each move.

There are many rooms I've spent a good long time re-playing, just to see what happens with a tweak here or there, and more often than not, there is some kind of improvement to be made, even for rooms that have been revisited many times before.
04-25-2005 at 03:49 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
StuartK wrote:
Really sorry about that, you most definitely deserve that #1 slot...
You don't need to be sorry. I deserve a #2 for not spotting the extra move I was wasting. Besides, I admit there are lots of rooms in which I took the first place by optimizing a seemingly perfect solution. And if I recall correctly, some of these solutions were yours :) All is fair in love and war they say. It feels so great when after a dozen tries at the room you finally find how to steal that one extra move that brings you to the first place.

PS: By the way, I have alot more respect for your highscores than Doom's or Stefan's. When they are at the top, I usually manage to shave a few moves off their solution or just produce a better one, but when I see your solution at #1, it's always really hard to beat.

04-25-2005 at 05:26 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Maurog wrote:
PS: By the way, I have alot more respect for your highscores than Doom's or Stefan's. When they are at the top, I usually manage to shave a few moves off their solution or just produce a better one, but when I see your solution at #1, it's always really hard to beat.
I'm not at all surprised by that, because I usually don't even try to optimize my solutions or think about efficiency. There are exceptions, however (just not very many, and almost none that I can think of in the JtRH hold).

04-25-2005 at 06:24 AM
Doom
There are many rooms that I usually just finish without trying to make a perfect demo. Almost all of my demos are first-time completitions (also most of the JtRH ones. I improved many 50+ rank demos in JtRH yesterday ;)) That's obviously not true for a long time when I start improving those older rooms.

I'm not surprised that you can beat most of my records if you try it. I've not played most of the rooms that much.

Also, when I uploaded my scores, I got around 7000 points from my old playerfile. I've improved greatly in DROD after that and those demos don't tell everything... I could beat most of them whenever I wanted.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:04-25-2005 at 05:40 PM]
04-25-2005 at 11:39 AM
MasterGiga
Well, I finally have a few highscores that I'm very proud of...

The Tomb of Nomb:

Quarce North, Once East
Twice North
Thrice North
Once East
Once North, Once West
Twice North, Twice East
Twice North, Once East

Well, that's more than a few, but I'm proud that I even completed that hold. :D

04-25-2005 at 01:33 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I finally managed to be the first person to get an "outside the box" kind of idea.

JtRH, Level 23, the Entrance.

04-26-2005 at 04:06 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
icon Re: Highscores you're proud of (+2)  
I have a feeling I may hold the record for fastest time to complete all levels of King Dungan's Dungeon.

I downloaded DROD on 2 April and completed the hold on 24 April - 20 days later.
04-26-2005 at 09:33 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Nah. I think I remember someone here saying that they completed it in a week.

04-26-2005 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Probably Doom.

It took me, on the other hand, 8 months to do level 8. Damn you, DRODiS.
04-26-2005 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
I completed KDD in several months. It wasn't so easy on the first time. (Why does everyone think it's me :D)
04-27-2005 at 05:21 AM
wmarkham
Rank Points: 125
I completed KDD, if I did my detective work right, from 8/4 to 8/29 last year. Not quite as impressive as Mouse, although I think there was a week in there when I didn't play at all. Of course, the last, say, 24 hours of that were spent doing nothing else. :)
04-27-2005 at 04:13 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
The 20 days are just from download to completion.
I actually installed it 2 days after downloading it.

So in reality it took me 18 days to complete. Not all of which were spent playing the game - I don't play on weekends for example.

Until someone waves their hand and says "I did it in less" I think I can safely say that I hold this record :smartass:
04-27-2005 at 09:06 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
this thread is the KDD first-time records thread and may contain scores which match or exceed your own.

[Edited by silver at Local Time:04-27-2005 at 09:21 PM]

04-27-2005 at 09:14 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Highscores you're proud of (A place to brag.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com