Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
<<5678
Page 9 of 9
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD 2.0, 3.3, 4.0, 5.0 Source Released. (+3)  
Oh man this is exciting! I hope I win my PRs are good.

Actually there are a few bugs I think I know how to zap, so if things start moving again I might give that a go. (including a DROD RPG bug!)

Are there any specific priorities for fixes, or is it just a "fix what you feel needs fixing" kind of thing for now?

09-21-2020 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: DROD 2.0, 3.3, 4.0, 5.0 Source Released. (0)  
Hooray for skell moving the codebase to Github. Sounds like some forward thinking averted disaster!
09-21-2020 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
disoriented wrote:
Congratulations! :thumbsup I don't really know what this means exactly, but it sounds like the source code is now in an easier-to-maintain format for everyone.
It means a few things for the foreseeable future:

1. The cloud repo was dead and is now alive again.
2. It should be much easier for aspiring DROD developers to get a local development build up and running.
3. Community contributions should be much easier to fold in to official builds.
4. There's greater transparency into the development activity going on.
I see there are Windows, Linux, and Mac build instructions.

Will this make it easier to keep builds for the different platforms in sync?
Will this make it easier to create builds for new processor architectures (e.g. Mac-ARM?)
We've had Windows, Linux and Mac build support since JtRH. Trick made building on Linux easy (I believe), so we've never had any issues there. Building on Mac is still manual. Windows building is much easier these days.

None of this has anything to do with making the code easier to build on new processor architectures. I don't have a Mac development server, so someone else would need to take Mac-ARM on.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-24-2020 09:33 PM]
09-21-2020 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
hyperme wrote:
Oh man this is exciting! I hope I win my PRs are good.
First off, let me say I really appreciate your contributions! I'm looking forward to working together. I've just started looking at your PRs and I see you've provided clear descriptions with links to bug topics on the forum, and so forth. That will make it easy for me to get up to speed on what's going on with each PR and validate your changes. As I do this, I'll approve and merge them.

As we've done previously, I plan to provide beta patches that we can test out here on the forum as fixes are made, prior to official updates being published.
Actually there are a few bugs I think I know how to zap, so if things start moving again I might give that a go. (including a DROD RPG bug!)
That sounds great! Yes, I plan to get new builds flowing again. I can speak to Windows builds anyway, and when the time is right I'll reach out to Trick to see if they're still around to provide Linux builds.
Are there any specific priorities for fixes, or is it just a "fix what you feel needs fixing" kind of thing for now?
I appreciate the question. As a general rule, as a volunteer community effort, I'm fine with everyone having fun, contributing, fixing and improving whatever you're most interested in.

With my tester hat on, my preference would be to squash the most critical issues first, and especially ones without easy, known workarounds. Up to you!

Let's keep in touch!

Edit: what dev software are you using? VS2013?

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-21-2020 08:43 PM]
09-21-2020 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
Hooray for skell moving the codebase to Github. Sounds like some forward thinking averted disaster!
Skell is a man of many talents. Future sight is just one of them.

09-21-2020 at 08:40 PM
hyperme
mrimer wrote:
First off, let me say I really appreciate your contributions! I'm looking forward to working together. I've just started looking at your PRs and I see you've provided clear descriptions with links to bug topics on the forum, and so forth. That will make it easy for me to get up to speed on what's going on with each PR and validate your changes. As I do this, I'll approve and merge them.

Thank you for the kind words. DROD has been a pretty big thing in my life, and it's nice to be able to 'give back' to the project. (It's also nice to be able to add script commands I would like to use to the engine)

With my tester hat on, my preference would be to squash the most critical issues first, and especially ones without easy, known workarounds. Up to you!

Let's keep in touch!

Sounds sensible. There are a few game logic issues still around that need fixing, so hopefully we can patch those up.

Edit: what dev software are you using? VS2013?

The PRs I made previously were done in VS2017, compiled with the v120 tools. Now that VS2019 support has arrived, I'll be using that from now on.

09-21-2020 at 10:16 PM
mrimer
icon Re: DROD 2.0, 3.3, 4.0, 5.0 Source Released. (0)  
Sounds good!

Hey, I notice there's a _USING_V110_SDK71 preprocessor define added in DROD's project settings. Do you know what that's for, and do we still need it?

09-22-2020 at 12:32 AM
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 185
icon Re: DROD 2.0, 3.3, 4.0, 5.0 Source Released. (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
The DROD and DROD RPG source code is now* officially available on GitHub:

https://github.com/CaravelGames/drod
Could you add that link to the first post in this thread?
09-24-2020 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Kalin wrote:
mrimer wrote:
The DROD and DROD RPG source code is now* officially available on GitHub:

https://github.com/CaravelGames/drod
Could you add that link to the first post in this thread?
Yep, done!

09-24-2020 at 03:39 PM
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
icon Re: DROD Source Released (0)  
I'm trying to build DROD on windows but have some trouble with dependencies because they are hosted on a dead server (cdn.retrocade).
Can someone upload the missing dependencies?

The ones affected:
- fmodapi-375-win
I could find it here - but no idea if that is the same one
- jpeg-6b
- json-0.6.0-rc2

Thanks!

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
11-22-2022 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme

File: MissingDrodDeps.zip (6.2 MB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD Source Released (+1)  
zdoom looks to be hosting the version of fmodapi that DROD currently uses.

Attached are the versions of jpeg and json libraries used. Due to lack of availabiltiy, probably they need upgrading at some point.

Also maybe we should ease off of fmod, since in theory it's possible to build DROD using SDLMixer.

11-22-2022 at 08:34 PM
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
hyperme wrote:

Thanks!
Skell was also nice enough to send me the links they are hosted in now.

fmodapi375win.zip
jpeg-6b.zip
jsoncpp-src-0.6.0-rc2.zip

I made some minor changes to get an .exe. Still not there yet as I get an assertion error in SDL_GetWindowsFlags_REAL in SDL_video.c:1764.

No clue yet what this is about. -_-

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
11-22-2022 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bbb
Rank Points: 215
icon Re: DROD Source Released (+5)  
Had to recompile after a big system upgrade, and also wanted to build on a relatively clean system, so took the opportunity to update to the latest code from github. As usual, built with no-static.

Issues which came up:

1. The ninjamaker script didn't identify the lack of libjpeg and metakit (mk4). I suspect issue is related to them appearing only in the staticlibs list, but not in the includes list, but am not confident enough to actually make a pull request about it.

2. Metakit is no longer in most linux distribution repositories. It may be a good idea to maintain a copy locally (or fork it on github) since metakit repos seem to be disappearing and moving around. In the long term, it may be a good idea to explore alternatives.

3. An int <-> unsigned int casting problem which bothered g++ 12. (Compile errors)

4. A libpng issue (runtime error) which at least affects the current drodtss-demo and drodrpg-demo linux releases.
02-15-2023 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vorteX
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
icon Re: DROD Source Released (0)  
Do you know where I can find the source code for earlier versions? Particularly 16-bit Webfoot DROD.
I only found Caravel DROD v1.5 source at sourceforge page (can't post the link).
I played the original version when I was a child and I still remember how fun was it :)
08-02-2023 at 12:21 PM
vorteX
I found CVS repo (pserver:anonymous@a.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/drod), the earliest code there is from 2001, but it's already Caravel and 32-bit.
Still looking for original Webfoot sourcedrop... -_-
08-02-2023 at 04:14 PM
kieranmillar
I wouldn't expect the Webfoot DROD source code to be (legally) available anywhere.

If you want to relive the original, Architect's Edition is the legally free alternative.
08-02-2023 at 05:22 PM
vorteX
kieranmillar wrote:
I wouldn't expect the Webfoot DROD source code to be (legally) available anywhere.

If you want to relive the original, Architect's Edition is the legally free alternative.
I have legally bought Webfoot DROD on CD :glasses

But I still want to see the original code, out of curiosity.

I thought that Erik open sourced the game before Caravel work started, so there must be original source somewhere...

I hope Erik is still around and can enlighten me on that.
08-02-2023 at 05:49 PM
kieranmillar
From wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadly_Rooms_of_Death

In 2000, the original author of the game got permission from Webfoot to open-source the game and he released the source code under the Mozilla Public License 1.1. With the help of several volunteers, he recreated the game from scratch, rewriting the entire game engine and creating improved graphics and new music for it. The main game screen, however, remained mostly the same as the original Webfoot version. This version, version 1.5, is commonly known as Caravel DROD, and was first released in late October 2002.[4]
Not totally clear to me if that implies webfoot did actually have its version of the code posted, but I could imagine any repository eventually being replaced with the rewrite.

Looks like I was wrong about the legal availability of the Webfoot code though.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 08-02-2023 09:35 PM]
08-02-2023 at 09:31 PM
<<5678
Page 9 of 9
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com