Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
<<2345
Page 6 of 9
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.0 Source Released. (0)  
Svante wrote:
My question is, as you probably guessed: How do I make DROD use the files in /usr/local/lib without making everything else do that?
Set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

08-05-2007 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Svante
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 169
Thanks! The last problem is now officially fixed! Now I'll just move my old progress to Linux and start playing DROD again. Many thanks.
08-05-2007 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.0 Source Released. (+1)  
vittro wrote:
Sorry, I mean CVS. Don't I have to set sourceforge.net parameters?
Errr... of course you do. That's why the page I linked to links to this...

Can't help you with the compiler, since I've not yet tried compiling DROD myself - I've only taken peeks at the code.

np: Hexstatic - Move On (When Robots Go Bad!)

08-05-2007 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon 3.1,0.42 Source Released (0)  
I've made the 3.1.0.42 source code available. It's not bug-free, but it's definitely in better condition than the 3.0.2 source code that was posted till now. I also included Gerry's scons files for Linux compilation and silver's "compiling DROD from scratch on Windows XP" doc with his disclaimers posted at the top.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-12-2007 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.0 Source Released. (+2)  
Downloaded and attempted to compile the 3.1 source, but failed: it appears to be missing the updated texts directory, and thus doesn't have definitions for MID_DRODUpgradingDataFilesError, MID_DRODUpgradingDataFilesPrompt, MID_ApplyToRoom and MID_ApplyToLevel.

Also, minor thing, but might want to rename the zip and directory to DROD31Source. But that can wait.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 08-12-2007 05:13 PM]
08-12-2007 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
Downloaded and attempted to compile the 3.1 source, but failed: it appears to be missing the updated texts directory, and thus doesn't have definitions for MID_DRODUpgradingDataFilesError, MID_DRODUpgradingDataFilesPrompt, MID_ApplyToRoom and MID_ApplyToLevel.

Also, minor thing, but might want to rename the zip and directory to DROD31Source. But that can wait.
Thanks for report this problem and for your suggestion. I've updated these.

08-13-2007 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Also, DRODUtil won't compile via Scons, due to some partial dependencies on DROD.
08-14-2007 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
As far as I understand the CaravelNet code (which deals with CaravelNet subscription) is linked statically with the rest of the code. If it were linked dynamically, peoples could use the latest version of TCB client and CaravelNet simultaneously. Is there a chance to see this in the future? Would this violate your distribution and copyright policies?
08-15-2007 at 11:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
There's no chance of that because then you could use a modified version of DROD with CaravelNet, such as the cheat that allows you to clear any room at will, or to move between rooms without actually solving them or doing anything else.

That's also why reverse-engineering the CaravelNet library is forbidden as per the EULA.
08-15-2007 at 04:50 PM
halyavin
Yes, but spider checks demos anyway - so you can only use unreachable entrance to cheat. And this cheat can be easily catched by community.
08-16-2007 at 09:32 AM
halyavin
Also you can cheat using unreachable entrances by saving demo in client without CaravelNet and then uploading it by official client with CaravelNet. So cheating would be just a little simplier.

The benefits is possibility to open access to source repository. It is possible to forbid reading of proprietary part of the sources for non-developers. With this access more peoples would be willing to fix TCB. Also it would be possible to improve and fix client side of CaravelNet code (there aren't many bug and feature requests for it though).
08-16-2007 at 05:06 PM
mrimer
halyavin wrote:
As far as I understand the CaravelNet code (which deals with CaravelNet subscription) is linked statically with the rest of the code. If it were linked dynamically, peoples could use the latest version of TCB client and CaravelNet simultaneously. Is there a chance to see this in the future? Would this violate your distribution and copyright policies?
Sorry, Caravel has no intention of releasing CaravelNet interface code in the future.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-16-2007 07:57 PM]
08-16-2007 at 07:57 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
halyavin wrote:
Also you can cheat using unreachable entrances by saving demo in client without CaravelNet and then uploading it by official client with CaravelNet. So cheating would be just a little simplier.

The benefits is possibility to open access to source repository. It is possible to forbid reading of proprietary part of the sources for non-developers. With this access more peoples would be willing to fix TCB. Also it would be possible to improve and fix client side of CaravelNet code (there aren't many bug and feature requests for it though).
I'm sorry if I'm sounding old fashioned. I spend a lot of my life enjoying the game called DROD. My main question about this game is:

Why are you still here?
08-17-2007 at 03:15 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.0 Source Released. (+2)  
Syntax wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm sounding old fashioned. I spend a lot of my life enjoying the game called DROD. My main question about this game is:

Why are you still here?

I actually don't think this is fair. I realize in the forum Halayvin tends to get WAY sidetracked on the possibilities of hacking and cheating, especially as an alternative to optimizing. Sure. But the man has demos for 1104 rooms. Thats alot of rooms to do if you don't care about something. He plainly cares about the game.

And these aren't optimized demos either. Whatever the reason for the fascination with exploits, I seriously doubt he's using them. They look more like the demo-set for someone thats playing for completion rather than efficiency, than anything else. So I'm gonna go out on a limb here, put words in other people's mouths, and say he's here because playing DROD is fun for him.

I freely admit his posts are obnoxious, obsessive and attention-seeking. And that they don't reflect his love for DROD well(or at all). But I do think the record of his actual gameplay speaks for itself, and makes his actual feelings clear.

Sure he's basically a troll, but he's a troll that loves the game. And luckily enough, it has bridges now.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 08-17-2007 03:18 PM : rather obnoxious -> obnoxious]
08-17-2007 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
Syntax wrote:
Why are you still here?
Because DROD is the best puzzle game ever ;).
mrimer
Sorry, Caravel has no intention of releasing CaravelNet interface code in the future.
I am not sure, you understand me right. I don't want CaravelNet proprietary code to be published. I want it to be separated to a shared library (like caravelnet.dll/caravelnet.so) so that the rest of the code would be free. Also you would have to just delete one folder before releasing sources to the public.

I expect that bugs in TCB would be appearing for several years (as in JtRH), I just don't want to wait for the next patch release when bug will be fixed.

Beef Row
And luckily enough, it has bridges now.
I can't understand this sentense. What is "it" and what means "bridge" in this context?

08-18-2007 at 08:19 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
halyavin
Beef Row
And luckily enough, it has bridges now.
I can't understand this sentense. What is "it" and what means "bridge" in this context?

it's a joke - a reference to how in fairy tales and cliché fantasy it was always 'the troll that lives under the bridge'... and now DROD 3.x has "bridges" as a feature, so Beef Row's implication would be that now you have a place in DROD to feel at home. (I'm not endorsing his comment, just explaining)

halyavin wrote:
I am not sure, you understand me right. I don't want CaravelNet proprietary code to be published. I want it to be separated to a shared library (like caravelnet.dll/caravelnet.so) so that the rest of the code would be free. Also you would have to just delete one folder before releasing sources to the public.

the rest of the code is free, and he does simply delete one folder to distribute the code - so your stated goals of the proposed change are already met -- he doesn't want to include a .dll/.so of the connection library because then we could hack the main game and link it with the unmodified connection library. instead, the static link model ensures that only a build he personally blesses can upload scores. so we are free to modify the rest of the code, and we can play drod with modified code all we want -- but we are not free to use our mods to upload scores. they aren't just protecting the upload code, they're protecting the whole upload system.

[Last edited by silver at 08-18-2007 09:51 AM]
08-18-2007 at 09:45 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I would just like to apologise to halyavin for my above comment. I was having a bad day and it was indeed an unfair statement.

Sorry.
08-18-2007 at 10:15 PM
halyavin
A couple questions.
1. Can I use 3.1 client to play user-made TCB holds that use scripting?
2. Some 3.0 demos will be broken in 3.1. Will I be able to download other's solutions then? Or I must solve the room again using 3.1 version?
08-27-2007 at 10:06 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
halyavin wrote:
1. Can I use 3.1 client to play user-made TCB holds that use scripting?
Sure - it has to play the TCB hold, so why should it handle user-made holds differently?

2. Some 3.0 demos will be broken in 3.1. Will I be able to download other's solutions then? Or I must solve the room again using 3.1 version?
As long as CaravelNet knows that you've solved a room once you'll always be able to download other demos - whether to return demos or not is decided on the server side.

08-27-2007 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
There is a difference in script format in 3.0.2 and 3.0.3+ versions as far as I know. So is the server gives the correct version (corresponding to the client's version) of an user-made hold to the client?

08-29-2007 at 08:45 AM
coppro
Probably not. But since the 3.1 is not yet an official patch, and 3.1 can import 3.0 holds, once 3.1 comes out, if you download an incompatible hold, you'll get a "This hold seems to be for a later version of DROD. Perhaps you should upgrade?" message. And you should upgrade.
08-29-2007 at 03:34 PM
mrimer
icon Re: DROD 3.1 Source Released. (0)  
I've made the 3.1.0.52 source available.

09-25-2007 at 04:44 PM
mrimer
icon Re: DROD 3.1 Source Released. (0)  
mrimer wrote:
I've made the 3.1.0.52 source available.
I've updated the source code repositories to 3.1.0.54 (the official 3.1 release) and 2.0.16 (rev3, also an official release).

10-02-2007 at 01:15 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.1 Source Released. (0)  
Just a small problem - in both Master.2002.sln and Master.sln found in the 3.1 source code, it is looking in the wrong place for the FrontEndLib.vcproj and BackEndLib.vcproj files (it is looking for ..\..\BackEndLib\BackEndLib.2002.vcproj instead of ..\BackEndLib\BackEndLib.2002.vcproj, and similarily for FrontEndLib).

10-21-2007 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.1 Source Released. (+1)  
Not really a problem. Notice how it also wants CaravelNet but that directory isn't supplied? FrontEndLib and BackEndLib are not inherently part of the DROD code, and are to be used with several Caravel projects. You're getting the files as they are, not updated to reflect the location of subdirectories in the distributed archive.
10-21-2007 at 04:23 AM
mrimer
icon 3.1.1 Source Released. (+3)  
I've uploaded the source code for 3.1.1.57.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-15-2008 04:02 PM]
02-15-2008 at 04:01 PM
mrimer
icon 3.2 Source Released. (+1)  
I've uploaded the source code for 3.2.0.82.

05-09-2008 at 04:41 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.2 Source Released. (+1)  
Not according to the download on the page:

C:\Documents and Settings\silver Harloe\Desktop>grep -ir "3\.2\.0" DROD32Source
DROD32Source/DROD32Source/DRODLib/NetInterface.cpp:    We('3'),We('.'),We('2'),We('.'),We('0'),We('.'),We('8'),We('1'),We(0)   // 3.2.0  -- full version number plus build number
DROD32Source/DROD32Source/readme.txt:Version 3.2.0.81

plus, um, aren't we up to .83? :)

09-01-2008 at 05:09 PM
mrimer
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.2 Source Released. (0)  
Thanks for pointing those out. I've released a patch today, so I've updated the source code to 3.2.1.84.

09-01-2008 at 06:34 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: DROD 2.0 + 3.2 Source Released. (+1)  
Made a sticky. I'm surprised this wasn't stickied yet, while it is (one of) the most important thread(s) regarding DROD Development.
02-16-2009 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
<<2345
Page 6 of 9
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Source Released (Now open sourced on Github!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com