Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : JtRH L20 1N1E
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon JtRH L20 1N1E (0)  
This is a crazy room that I've been obsessing over for a while now. This isn't a proper challenge because I'm not sure it's possible.

The objective is to remove all the trapdoors before turn 270, to prevent one final round of tar babies being generated, whilst leaving Beethro somewhere near the tar mother in the hopes of a quick exit. I'm 5 moves short, and since I've replayed the room so much I'm going to give up for now. If someone can do it, I'll be duly impressed. I'd say about the first half of the room is as optimised as it's going to get (go any faster and the tar babies don't line up so nicely) but there are still a number of choices after that point.
04-16-2005 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
icon Re: JtRH L20 1N1E (+1)  
Done (barely)! Though I still think it can be done better than the demo up now, for I was a little sloppy (and I ended in a bad place). Plus, there are so many routes through all the trapdoors that I wouldn't be surprised if one ended up being ten moves faster.
04-17-2005 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: JtRH L20 1N1E (+2)  
Done with 2 or 3 moves to spare. Mine is most likely improvable as well.

edit: Redid it, 5 moves to spare and better position.

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:04-17-2005 at 05:07 AM]
04-17-2005 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: JtRH L20 1N1E (0)  
OK I'm duly impressed :cool

Rabscuttle - one or two more moves, and you'd be able to deal with the tar mother far more efficiently, probably netting you another 6-8 moves for the entire demo.

I find it constantly fascinating how even a small improvement earlier on in a tar or roach queen rooms can yield exponential rewards as the solution progresses...
04-17-2005 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: JtRH L20 1N1E (+1)  
A sword in a queen saves nineteen. ;)

I think the most likely place for shaving some more moves off is the SW corner, but I got tired of replaying the first 200 or so moves.
04-18-2005 at 07:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : JtRH L20 1N1E
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com