Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Page 3 of 13
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (0)  
Hey thanks.

I didn't patch on assumption that
1) Nothing bad will happen if I don't try anything funny (like killing a roach queen on room edge)

But what about holds I just downloaded from drod.net website ? It shouldn't happen...

The Puzzlebox
Domain of Grinfidel
Dodecahedral Hold
. . . a Delver's Delight
The Palace of Puzzles JTRH remake 1.0 (more less)

and some others. But I can't import any of these.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
09-19-2005 at 10:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
b0rsuk wrote:
The Puzzlebox, Domain of Grinfidel, Dodecahedral Hold, a Delver's Delight, The Palace of Puzzles JTRH remake 1.0 (more less)

and some others. But I can't import any of these.
Hi, you might have missed any of Stefan's last post on the previous page, but I guess the reason you have importing problems with these holds, is because they have special floors.

I think they will work if you use the latest version of JtRH.

-- Tim

09-19-2005 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
No. The bug was an export problem, which means that those holds would only (possibly) be affected if they were exported from 2.0.3 (and if they were affected, you wouldn't be able to import them either). The problem is something else.

09-19-2005 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
So, the title says 2.0.10, but there's no mention of it in the thread, and the CaravelGames site says 2.0.9 still.
10-03-2005 at 09:11 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+1)  
Too quick for your own good, sheesh. It did get posted, but there was a bug with the patch. Mike took it down and it will be up again shortly.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-03-2005 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
My timing is clearly quite peccable indeed.
10-03-2005 at 09:16 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5054
icon JtRH 2.0.10 Patch (0)  
The DROD:Journey to Rooted Hold 2.0.10 patch is available. It includes the following improvements:

CaravelNet batch score upload: much quicker.
Loads, saves, and data lookups: optimized (especially NPC script initialization and hold imports).
Death restarts: Now pressing R during the death sequence will restart instantly.

And the following bug fixes:

NPC: command coords were updated incorrectly when a room is reflected via F7/F8 in the editor.
Room copying: Fixed bug in 2.0.9: room records duplicated when copying certain rooms to another hold in the level editor.
Fixed several memory leaks.
Minor aesthetic fixes.

The Windows patch can be downloaded here. (Linux forthcoming.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-03-2005 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
The patch seems to be working fine now: I hope you taught that silly patch what happens when it doesn't behave.

Thanks!
10-03-2005 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
Yes, second time lucky.

This version can also be installed over the previous dodgy 2.0.10 patch and fixes all those funny text problems :thumbsup

[Last edited by Andy101 at 10-03-2005 10:14 PM]
10-03-2005 at 10:14 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Methinks the high score updater is being a bit wacky. I seem to be recording a bunch first place scores for Level 13 of KDD 2.0, including one that is a one-move demo.

10-04-2005 at 05:44 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Methinks the high score updater is being a bit wacky. I seem to be recording a bunch first place scores for Level 13 of KDD 2.0, including one that is a one-move demo.
The fact that you're getting first place scores is normal - most rooms in L13 were marked as non-interesting for high scores, so there were no high scores. Updating a hold resets the non-interesting flag, in case there were changes that make the room interesting.

However, the fact that you've now got first place scores that are one move is a bug in the spider. It got a big wad of demos from you, and is happily reporting that the one-move demos are indeed valid. I've fixed the spider, so it will now report those rooms as uninteresting. I'll leave your highscores, as it should fix itself as people play the rooms you've got the 1-move #1s in.

10-04-2005 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
icon Re: JtRH 2.0.10 Patch (0)  
mrimer wrote:

Unless, apparently, you have the demo and not the full?
10-04-2005 at 07:33 AM
mrimer
icon Re: JtRH 2.0.10 Patch (0)  
Banjooie wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Unless, apparently, you have the demo and not the full?
That's right. It has unfortunately become unwieldy for us to maintain patches on the demo version. If you'd like to get the new demo version, you may download it from the Caravel Games website.

10-04-2005 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
...This would be somewhat less rage-inducing if I could install the new version in its 24MB entirety directly over my old version.

10-04-2005 at 09:02 PM
Alneyan
Schik wrote:
However, the fact that you've now got first place scores that are one move is a bug in the spider. It got a big wad of demos from you, and is happily reporting that the one-move demos are indeed valid. I've fixed the spider, so it will now report those rooms as uninteresting. I'll leave your highscores, as it should fix itself as people play the rooms you've got the 1-move #1s in.

I can confirm it works as advertised: I just "killed" L8 1S (KDD2) from the highscores by uploading another 1-move demo. Thanks!
10-04-2005 at 09:54 PM
mrimer
Banjooie wrote:
...This would be somewhat less rage-inducing if I could install the new version in its 24MB entirety directly over my old version.
Well, you should be fine using the .dat files in your existing JtRH Data directory. Just install the new demo into a different directory and then overwrite the fresh .dat files with your existing ones. This might not work every time, but at least this time it ought to.

10-04-2005 at 10:26 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I notice the patch can get confused if JtRH isn't where it expects it to be. I browse to where I have it installed - e:\\games\\DROD - Journey to Rooted Hold - but the patch sticks another DROD - JtRH folder in there, so it wants to install to e:\\games\\DROD - JtRH\\DROD - JtRH\\, IYSWIM. As I'd copied the patch to the JtRH directory first, didn't it really ought to be intelligent enough to recognise that the drod.exe is in there? Let's face it, 11 and 12 year old l33t crackers can make their patches do that. ;)
10-05-2005 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Are the people running things aware that download.php has no page title? I got confused when I changed windows.

10-05-2005 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I'm not sure this has anything to with the patch, but since installing the latest patch this morning, when I complete a room in KDD 2, there's no message. If I press F6, it says "there are no high scores for this room yet." Actually, the first message I got was something like, "this hold is not on Caravelnet."
Yep, I am connected to Caravelnet.

Edit: Forgot to say that I also got the KDD2 update after installing the patch.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 10-05-2005 04:54 PM]
10-05-2005 at 04:53 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, if you got the KDD2 update, then I'm stumped. I assume other holds still say they're published on CaravelNet?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2005 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon 2.0.11 JtRH Patch Released (Windows) (+3)  
The DROD:Journey to Rooted Hold 2.0.11 patch is available. It includes the following improvements:

Demo recording isn't aborted now when rewinding to a move inside the recording session.
Lost drod.ini entries are now set to default values on startup.
Reduced slowness caused by unneeded data saves.
Faster in-game rewinding to a checkpoint save.
Halph pathmapping faster with lots of monsters in the room.

And the following bug fixes:

Script editing bug: Commands created, then changed to a Label type, couldn't be made Goto destinations.
Victory demo recording wasn't working after restoring to the start of a clean room.
Slayer's wisp couldn't find player on a tunnel; wisp shouldn't intersect decoy swords.
Goblins now avoid decoy's sword when targetting the decoy.
Targetting decoys: ties in step distance to decoys are now broken by Manhattan distance measure (reduced dependence on decoy placement order).
Now orb associations aren't lost when door tiles are deleted in the room editor.
Scripted sounds wouldn't play repeatedly.
Minor aesthetic and UI fixes.

The Windows patch can be downloaded here. (KDD and Linux patches forthcoming.)

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-05-2005 06:43 PM]
12-05-2005 at 06:32 PM
Alneyan
Open doors still look green here, though it might be a different shade than before (it's closer to the green of the force arrows than to the green of green doors). I suspect what I call green isn't what you call green either.

The Location screen is blinking because the game checks your completed holds, and set the % value accordingly. Once it has checked all your holds, it will stop blinking. Well, except that it will check again the next time you go to the Change Location screen.

And the Wizard isn't kidding about the faster Restore screen: it went from "slow" to "the room appeared *before* I clicked on it" for me. I didn't really notice it was slow before, but the difference is obvious now. Thanks!

[Last edited by Alneyan at 12-05-2005 08:10 PM]
12-05-2005 at 08:08 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Alneyan wrote:
The Location screen is blinking because the game checks your completed holds, and set the % value accordingly. Once it has checked all your holds, it will stop blinking.
Its still a little annoying to see the blinking. And it does it every time you access the change location screen.

Restore is a lot more usable again. Yay!
I still use another copy of Drod for hold building, though. It's significantly faster to playtest and switch rooms after making changes with a close to fresh installation.
12-05-2005 at 08:15 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: 2.0.11 JtRH Patch Released (Windows) (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
'Reduced' just doesn't do that change justice - the interface is suddenly a pleasure to use once again. Brilliant - thankyou Mike for making the change, and Michthro for tracking down the cause.
12-06-2005 at 09:39 AM
mrimer
icon Re: 2.0.11 JtRH Patch Released (Windows) (+2)  
I have bad news: Stefan found a new crash bug in 2.0.11. As far as I can tell as this point, it can happen when rewinding to checkpoints in some rooms with room-altering scripting (a script activates an orb, for instance). The crash shouldn't corrupt your data or lose your player progress or anything like that, but I'm going to fix it and post an updated patch soon.

StuartK wrote:
mrimer wrote:
'Reduced' just doesn't do that change justice - the interface is suddenly a pleasure to use once again. Brilliant - thankyou Mike for making the change, and Michthro for tracking down the cause.
Wonderful! That makes me very happy to hear.

12-06-2005 at 06:46 PM
mrimer
icon Windows 2.0.11 JtRH patch -- Take 2 (0)  
I've uploaded a new Windows JtRH patch to version 2.0.11 that fixes the crash mentioned above. I also removes the flickering wait cursor that nobody likes from the hold selection screen. I would recommend everyone who has already downloaded the 2.0.11 patch to get it again and reinstall it.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-06-2005 08:04 PM]
12-06-2005 at 08:03 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I installed the second 2.0.11 patch, and now I have to wait about 20-30 seconds when entering the "change location" screen before it is fully responsive.

I have all the caravelnet holds downloaded, plus a few non-caravelnet ones.

12-06-2005 at 08:33 PM
mrimer
eytanz wrote:
I installed the second 2.0.11 patch, and now I have to wait about 20-30 seconds when entering the "change location" screen before it is fully responsive.
I didn't change anything about the performance on that screen from the first to second 2.0.11 patch -- just that the cursor no longer changes to look like an hourglass during this time.

12-06-2005 at 08:49 PM
Alneyan
The second patch gets the job done for me, with no apparent side effects.
12-06-2005 at 09:01 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Linux patch for 2.0.11 is up! Woo! Works with both JtRH and KDD, full and demo versions, even. Will wonders never cease.

Well, kind of. If you look a bit closer, you will probably notice that this patch only patches (or actually, replaces) the executable with version 2.0.11. This does of course fix all bugs and such, but you won't get fixes to help files etc with this one. A more complete patch will come, er, eventually.

PS. Extra bonus: Completely unnecessary patcher GUI! Hooray!

- Gerry
12-10-2005 at 02:15 AM
Page 3 of 13
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com