Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Shiny Discs Flung to Far Corners (JtRH CDs shipped--can you believe it?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged

File: HeHasTheCDs.jpg (5.5 KB)
Downloaded 907 times.
License: Other
icon Shiny Discs Flung to Far Corners (+7)  
Our first shipment of DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold CDs was sent out today, along with my 2004 tax return. (Yes, I am a procrastinator.) It might be immodest, but I must say the CDs look pretty slick. The front cover shows the picture of Beethro and Halph over a map background that is becoming familiar to a lot of people. The backside of the jewel case is my little attempt at showing a retail-friendly design with a few screenshots, system requirements, and blurbage. The wonders don't stop there! Opening the jewel case, you'll discover a 26-page booklet with some quick start instructions, a little story of how Beethro and Halph started their journey, and some annoying legalese that nobody will read no matter how bored they are.

The Linux players will be immediately outraged that they were sent a Windows CD instead of the Linux CD they ordered, but some of them may flip out the little tray and find a Linux CD tucked in its secret spot. And those Linux players will still be slightly upset that the Linux CD was put behind the Windows CD, or that perhaps the inclusion of the Windows CD implied they should be running the hated spawn of Gates on their systems. I tell you, these Linux guys are the gripingest group I ever met. You just can't please 'em!

There are thirty-plus people still waiting on their CDs--these are the JtRH contributors and contestwinners. You fellas can't turn me in to the FTC for unreasonable fullfilment delays, because you didn't actually order anything! Ha ha ha! No, seriously, I'll be sending out CDs for the contest-winners this week. And then Brittany is putting together a special item for contributors that is causing further delay, but will be worth the wait, I think.

This isn't my place to complain and bring everybody down, but jeebus, you wouldn't believe the amount of work that went into designing, printing, cutting, folding, stapling, assembling, and mailing these CDs! I will be streamlining the process to cut down on cost and time. There will be one CD with both Linux and Windows files on it instead of two. The booklet will get cut down by a few sheets. (It is already so fat that the case is hard to close.) And I'm going to look into some shipping options where Plimus (the order-processing company) people will ship out the CDs for me.

So enjoy your CDs, people that ordered them! And hold onto them because they might be collector's items someday. ;)

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-08-2006 01:43 AM]
04-15-2005 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Shiny Discs Flung to Far Corners (0)  
Congratulations on finishing the CD! Yay!

Is this the same version as the one we all have downloaded?

-- Tim

PS. Okay, okay. I will send you my postal address sometime this week.
Really. :whistle

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:04-15-2005 at 10:32 PM: Changed the order of importance...]

04-15-2005 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Shiny Discs Flung to Far Corners (+1)  
Yay, the CD arrived today, all the way over in New Zealand! Games great so far, and the CD package etc looks great!
04-22-2005 at 09:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sarngate
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
CD reached rural North Wales on Friday. Brilliant! Thanks for the extras. When can we expect KDD to play in Jtrh?

04-25-2005 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Sarngate wrote:
When can we expect KDD to play in Jtrh?
It shouldn't be later than June. Hopefully before that.

Glad you are liking the CD, fella!

-Erik

04-25-2005 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
Tell you the problem with exporting KDD into JtRH - if yopu accidentally delete the neather :( .
04-25-2005 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
Just out of curiosity, when will the rest of the CDs ship? Normally, I wouldn't really be concerned, but you see, the schoolyear will soon be over, and thus I will soon no longer be at this address here in Oberlin. If they are going out in the next week or two, it should be fine here, but any later and I should give you a different address. So, when are they going out?
04-26-2005 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Contributor CDs (yours) are going out around 5/1. Prizewinner and order CDs will go out before that.

-Erik

04-26-2005 at 06:10 AM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
Jolly good then. Carry on!
04-26-2005 at 06:23 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Got my prizewinner CD today! I do live in the same state as Eric though, so I don't imagine other prizewinners should neccessarily have theirs yet.

04-29-2005 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Shiny Discs Flung to Far Corners (+2)  
Cool, RoboBob!

I will just point out in case anyone is wondering, that all CD orders received before 4/27 are shipped, along with prizewinner CDs. Contributor CDs and gift items should go out sometime next week.

I am streamlining the CD shipping operation. Working smarter, not harder! I'm now using a service to duplicate the CDs and print up everything except the jewel case booklet, which I'm still doing myself. I decided I couldn't keep doing it all--it just takes sooooo long.

Also, I'm planning to send a box of these new batch 2 CDs to Plimus and let them fill orders for me. Did you know you have to fill out a customs form for each package sent to an international destination? My finger joints start swelling and burning just thinking about it! Besides being a lot easier on me and my more poor overused fingers, it means more shipping options for customers and quicker turnaround. So if there is some poor dial-up guy in a city with rolling brown-outs, and he absolutely has to have JtRH in two days, then he can spend 50 bucks for Special Ultraglobalexpress Handling if he wants.

-Erik

04-29-2005 at 10:44 PM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
icon Re: Shiny Discs Flung to Far Corners (+2)  
...and thus Beethro returned from his contemplation in the desert and spake to Mr. Gorbatschow: Mr. Gorbatschow, tear down that Wall! But Mr. Gorbatschow could not heed the words of Beethro, for his heart had hardend by Communism. And thus Beethro did smite The Wall with The Sword Too Mighty For Any Man To Wield But Which Nonetheless Has No Proper Name, and there was rent a huge hole in The Wall, and Beethro did fling his silvery disk through the hole, and his people was set free.
My JtRH-CD came last week, on the very day that I had to leave town for a week, and all I could do was take it out of the letterbox; I didn't even have time to read through the booklet. A very nasty trick, Erik! :angry So I guess I have the first copy of JtRH to make it past the iron curtain (oh, I get it), and I'll get around to playing JtRH soon. (I have to finish "Treasure Hunt" first, since I'm one of those obsessive-compulsive types who can't leave anything lying around without finishing.) I have to say, the graphics have an excellent textured feel, the title screen and its music are really awesome (the gregorian chant style really fits the Eighth as well as the map), and anyone who doesn't have the CD is missing out if just for the booklet, although most of the info in it is probably included as some sort of file in the download. It looks completely professional. I am really looking forward to JtRH.

-leroy00

05-12-2005 at 11:44 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Shiny Discs Flung to Far Corners (+4)  
Contributor gift packages shipped today. Mainly the delay was caused by waiting for a new batch of CDs from Discmakers. I sent everything airmail so that means that the packages will get to most people in less than a week. The one exception would be Malarame's package which included a Diplomacy boardgame--I sent that parcel post to save some bucks. Man, you should have seen me at the post office stumbling around with two boxes full of manila envelopes. It was quite a production!

Sorry for the delay! Hope you enjoy everything!

-Erik

05-16-2005 at 11:29 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Thanks Erik!

w00t!
05-17-2005 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Do they have business centre post offices in the US? You know, where people sending a lot of mail can go and be treated better than the unwashed masses who just want to buy one stamp?

Matt

05-17-2005 at 05:30 AM
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
Do they have business centre post offices in the US? You know, where people sending a lot of mail can go and be treated better than the unwashed masses who just want to buy one stamp?
They do, and I've used them in the past. The government-run post office near my house isn't so bad though. There's just one gruff old lady there that always seems like she's having a terrible life. But despite the hard exterior, she's pretty reasonable.

-Erik

05-17-2005 at 05:58 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
ErikH2000 wrote:
Man, you should have seen me at the post office stumbling around with two boxes full of manila envelopes. It was quite a production!
Just want to let you know I found a manila envelope today. :D
Everything looks fine, and except for some scratches on the cd box, it looks like the contents have survived.

Looking at the CD... Hmmm... I guess I haven't played most of them for a long time... I can still remember The Magic Toyshop being real fun though...

Gosh, I feel old ;)

-- Tim

PS. It looks like a real collectors item. And I meant the envelope ;)

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:05-23-2005 at 10:16 PM]

05-23-2005 at 10:15 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Tim wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Man, you should have seen me at the post office stumbling around with two boxes full of manila envelopes. It was quite a production!
Just want to let you know I found a manila envelope today. :D
Everything looks fine, and except for some scratches on the cd box, it looks like the contents have survived.

Looking at the CD... Hmmm... I guess I haven't played most of them for a long time... I can still remember The Magic Toyshop being real fun though...

Gosh, I feel old ;)

-- Tim

PS. It looks like a real collectors item. And I meant the envelope ;)

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:05-23-2005 at 10:16 PM]
I also received mine today too.

It is very cool, and I can't wait to try out some of the extra things you've got on the CD.

One thing that intrigues me, though, is the pouch containing some fragments of a larger picture in the certificate. Is this some sort of puzzle, or am I supposed to collect all the pieces first before I can solve it, and if so, where do I get them?

05-23-2005 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sarngate
ErikH2000 wrote:
Sarngate wrote:
When can we expect KDD to play in Jtrh?
It shouldn't be later than June. Hopefully before that.

Glad you are liking the CD, fella!

-Erik
Just noticed - you omitted the year!

06-27-2005 at 01:07 AM
ErikH2000
Everything I say will happen, just not when I said it would. Me and Nostrodamus.

July. You guys will get it in July.

-Erik

06-27-2005 at 05:35 AM
Sarngate
Cool - I can wait 'til July but I notice you left the year out again, you wily old fox!

06-27-2005 at 08:59 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Shiny Discs Flung to Far Corners (JtRH CDs shipped--can you believe it?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com