Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Possible to get trapped in JtRH
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Possible to get trapped in JtRH (+1)  
I found 3 rooms in JtRH where it's possible to get trapped so that you must use restore in order to finish the level.
The trick is stabbing a tar blob to create a tar baby after opening the green door.

Those 3 rooms are L12:1S, L21:2N1E and L24:1S1W

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:04-15-2005 at 06:22 PM: L21:2N1E confirmed]
04-15-2005 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Possible to get trapped in JtRH (0)  
King Dugan's Dungeon check.

It seems that you can do the same trick in following rooms in KDD.

L8:1S1E
L8:3S3E
L8:3S2E
L8:4S2E
L17:1N1W
L17:1W
L17:1S1E
L20:2N1E

Are you going to do anything about it in the JtRH release of KDD?
04-15-2005 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
"Doctor, it hurts when I move my arm like this."
"So don't do that."

Yes, it's an unfortunate issue. But it seems to me rather unlikely to happen by accident. So it's not nearly as bad as that KDD level 8 issue.

On the other hand, they wouldn't be that hard to fix with a one-way passage (somewhere in the level) bypassing the green door in reverse. L12 1S already has such a passage, and if the NW green door were removed or replaced with a force arrow, it would be fine. Hmm.

04-15-2005 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Well, I guess that's kind of a known issue...it's definitely something I learned about my first time through KDD. Fortunately it was in a room that had multiple exits, so when I came back through I noticed that it wasn't beaten. The minimap suddenly turning red is a pretty big clue, and one that many people will notice I think. It definitely does suck if you accidentally do it the turn before you leave the room. Short of making the green door come back up if you make tar or mud babies (which could make some intriguing rooms to be sure), it seems to me like this is just something that people should be made aware of, and be cautious about.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-15-2005 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Possible to get trapped in JtRH (+1)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Short of making the green door come back up if you make tar or mud babies (which could make some intriguing rooms to be sure), it seems to me like this is just something that people should be made aware of, and be cautious about.
Even bringing the door up won't stop it. You could be on the wrong side of the door. Worse, you may in some cases end up with tar babies on the other side that you now can't get to.

++Adam H. Peterson
04-15-2005 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
So, wait, if you make a tar/mud baby, then leave the room without killing it, it counts as not being beaten?

Hmm. I'll keep that in mind when I make tar rooms. But you shouldn't be doing it anyway - Beethro gets enough flak about seeding without you deliberately making him do it.

Matt

04-21-2005 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Mattcrampy wrote:
So, wait, if you make a tar/mud baby, then leave the room without killing it, it counts as not being beaten?

Yep, it's always been like that. The room turns red on the minimap, and I think Beethro even makes the victory noise when he finishes killing any new tar or mud babies that are made.

And you're right, Adam, bringing up the green door is pretty much a bad idea.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-21-2005 at 05:33 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
The flip side is that if you make it possible to not get trapped, (by putting the green door on the room edge or similar) then that makes it possible to complete the room from the 'wrong' entrance and the resulting demos can often be ridiculously shorter than the demos from the 'correct' entrance.

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing... :)
04-21-2005 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Oneiromancer wrote:
The room turns red on the minimap, and I think Beethro even makes the victory noise when he finishes killing any new tar or mud babies that are made.
It was that way in AE, but in JtRH I think Beethro only makes a victory noise the first time he clears the room. I consider this a good thing, since it was annoying to hear all those unnecessary laughs when finished with a room and cutting my way through some width-3 or width-4 tar to an exit.

The room still turns red and white on the minimap, but that's a good unobtrusive indicator.
04-21-2005 at 09:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Possible to get trapped in JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com