Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West
Page 2 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (+1)  
Following up here:

When I finally beat this room, I hit the third checkpoint with a move count of 522. So Rabscuttle's apparently effortless guess was pretty much right on the money. With that move count, I was able to make it to the mud with about 5 moves to spare.

And it was a Good Thing.

So...bonus points for Rabscuttle, in a thank you sort of way.

Josh

04-06-2006 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
worm
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (0)  
I'm glad there's a demo. After concentrating on getting to the mud mother with time to spare I totally forgot the little muds trapped at the bottom. I only wish there was a way to set it up so I don't even have to do it again, just have the demo run through the levle for me.

[Last edited by worm at 04-18-2006 12:55 AM]
04-18-2006 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
Well, I have made it to the X on the westward hall but it appears, from a demo that was posted here, that I am 3 cycles too long :weep

This room apparently take considerable time to solve even using the demo. If 24 1s1w is this hard how hard can 25th level be???

Maybe I don't even want to see it :-O

I am curious as to how so many delvers has so many points. Is it due to the speed with which y'll solve holds & levels? Or are some point a carry over from other games?

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 05-06-2006 12:50 AM]
05-06-2006 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Points...do you mean the rank points, or the high score points? Rank points are just gotten through good posts on the forum from your fellow forum-goers. High score points are gotten from playing any hold in the Holds forum. Remember I sent you that PM about how to download other holds? All of them let you get high scores and rack up those points.

Level 25 in JtRH is actually considered to be easier than level 24 by pretty much everyone, I think. There are a few rooms that are really hard, but not as many as on level 24, and they all have hints for them.

Don't worry, if you ask nicely enough you could get demos for every room and you will be able to solve the game, we promise! ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-06-2006 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
this is by far the most difficult hold yet. even with a demo, and running it over and over again, there are so many places to make a single error that means to start over again. thank goodness for the X at (29,15)! without it I am sure I would never, ever make it. it is discouraging to make a mistake with you are so close, i.e. on the top row. I guess the only way to do it is to take one step at a time and see what happens. if that step is wrong at least you can back up one move and correct it (hopefully). :thumbsdown
05-07-2006 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hmm... Maybe you could ask one of the top 8 guys to post a demo. I seriously belive that Rabscuttle has 200 moves to spare. That would leave room for more mistakes.
05-07-2006 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308

File: JtRH Twenty-Fourth Level 1S1W Victory.demo (7.2 KB)
Downloaded 201 times.
License: Public Domain
How about this one. It's ranked 52 currently, so no excellent highscoring off of this one.
05-07-2006 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman
I will look at the 2nd demo on this hold but I have taken the 1st one and, after reaching the X at (29,15) and marking a course how the demo proceeded I still have problems ... there are just too many positions of the sword and the square to be on. I did manage twice I believe to reach the upper rows but made a stupid mistake and I have never, after 100s of reruns, been able to get back there. It seems when I get the the rectangle on the left the mud grows to the right end in the 2nd to top row and I know I can't get past it ... TOTALLY FRUSTRATING!
05-07-2006 at 08:43 PM
wiseoldman
As usually, I miss an important step some place within the first 20 moves and crash & burn shortly there after. The demo is nice, both of them, as they do show that the room can be solved. However, I can't seem to stop my play, go to a demo, run it through to the point I am at and then remember how to proceed from there for the next 10 moves. I suppose one way would be to get to a constant point, play the demo to that point and carefully watch the next 5 moves, then return and do those 5 moves. then simply repeat the above for every 5 moves. Shouldn't take me more than 12 hours then to get through the room. I guess I have reached my "Peter Principal Point", e.g. my abilities have run out.

to those who don't know the Peter Principal it is when an executive reaches that point in the corportation where he is totally incompendent and can no longer advance!

So far today I have spent about 8 hours just trying to get from (29,15) up to the top row without the mud filling in the 2nd row. It just takes too long to review the demo from the start to the point where I fail. :weep
05-07-2006 at 09:12 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
You can use the left and right cursor keys to advance/rewind a demo while you're watching it -- just hold down the right cursor key to rip through one to where you want quickly.

A nice side effect is that once you've done that, the demo will be paused. If you get stuck trying to remember things, just grab a bit of paper and write down the next 20-30 moves while you step through them, then quit the demo and make those moves. You'll end up with a bit of paper that has a lot of '444448344834483QW' on it, but at least you know what it means. :D

It'll still take you a while, but not 8 hours.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 05-07-2006 11:19 PM]
05-07-2006 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wiseoldman
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (+3)  
add another 2 hours to my extremely poor advance ... still can't make it to the left hand square in time to rid it so the mud doesn't grow in the left hand 2nd row.... well .... maybe in another week or so :blush :weep

After making extensive route maps using printed screen snap shoots I was able to defeat this room today. :thumbsup

However, what in the world is the secret room to the west? There must be a trick to opening the NW yellow door but you certainly don't wipe out the messenger!

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 05-08-2006 10:05 PM]
05-08-2006 at 12:26 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
wiseoldman wrote:
add another 2 hours to my extremely poor advance ... still can't make it to the left hand square in time to rid it so the mud doesn't grow in the left hand 2nd row.... well .... maybe in another week or so :blush :weep
I really admire your tenacity, wiseoldman. You're so close to the end of the game now, and I'd feel bad if you're feeling frustrated more than having fun with rooms like this. I don't know what I can do to provide help, but know I'm giving you 100% moral support. Wishing you the best in finishing this challenging level. :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-08-2006 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
wiseoldman wrote:
However, what in the world is the secret room to the west? There must be a trick to opening the NW yellow door but you certainly don't wipe out the messenger!
There's no way to get through there, this is just a story room. There's nothing beyond that door.

"Oook!"
05-08-2006 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chimerix
Rank Points: 41
Has anyone else noticed that the tar over the trapdoors spells
"You I pity"?

Not only did the architect make this a taxing room, he felt the need to rub it in!

God, I love this game!

[Last edited by Chimerix at 09-28-2006 04:51 AM]
09-28-2006 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I read it as "It's you!"

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-28-2006 04:51 AM]
09-28-2006 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chimerix
Rank Points: 41
If I squint a bit, I can also see "You pits". However, that doesn't resonate as surely in my soul as my first interpretation, so I'll be sticking with that one!

And purely because I've never seen this one used, here' a smiley...

:pope

[edit] maybe there's a reason I've never seen it before :-( [-edit]

[Last edited by Chimerix at 09-28-2006 04:59 AM]
09-28-2006 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
pecan
Rank Points: 15
Can someone tell me where the secret rooms are on this level? I presumed I had to somehow get through the door on the secret room off this room, but as someone has said I don't - where is the other one?

02-03-2007 at 09:32 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
pecan wrote:
Can someone tell me where the secret rooms are on this level? I presumed I had to somehow get through the door on the secret room off this room, but as someone has said I don't - where is the other one?
Click here to view the secret text

np: Yoshihiro Ike - No.0724FGARK (Ergo Proxy OST Opus01)

02-03-2007 at 09:48 PM
pecan
Rank Points: 15
Thanks.
Of course, the moment I'd posted the question I found the answer myself!
lol

02-04-2007 at 08:43 AM
worm
Rank Points: 19
Do the levels stay this unforgiving? It feels like there's very little buffer here for me. I know exactly WHAT needs to be done. However maintaining the patience and perfection that never messing up twice in a row requires is wearing on me. I sooooo wish I could cheat.
05-24-2007 at 02:28 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
worm wrote:
Do the levels stay this unforgiving? It feels like there's very little buffer here for me. I know exactly WHAT needs to be done. However maintaining the patience and perfection that never messing up twice in a row requires is wearing on me. I sooooo wish I could cheat.

Well, you're on the next-to-last level. The 25th level has some real doozies on it, but I'd say that this room is one of the hardest required rooms in the game.

So hang in there!

Josh

05-24-2007 at 11:53 AM
paxbellum
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
AHHHHHHHHHHHH! i've been stuck on this room for months!this is the first time that a demo wasent enoph to help me solve the room! is there some kind of stop the clock cheat or somethin'?

09-14-2007 at 03:28 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
At what point are you stuck?

-Noah

My stuff:

09-14-2007 at 04:14 AM
paxbellum
i simply can't find out how to do it with enough time to spare...i assume that when Bethro says "i don't think this is going to work" it means I'll not have time, and he says it around when i get to the second check point

09-14-2007 at 09:45 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
If looking at coppro's demo doesn't help, let's do it the other way around.

Why don't you play the room up to the point where you get stuck. Press F4 to record a demo of what you've done so far, export it, and post it here. There are plenty of nice people here who would be happy to take a look and tell you where you can save moves. :)
09-14-2007 at 09:54 PM
paxbellum

File: JtRH Twenty-Fourth Level 1S1W.demo (6.6 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
good idea curiousshyrabbit, i wonder why i didn't think of it.
anyway here it is thanx in advance

09-14-2007 at 10:20 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133

-Noah

My stuff:

09-15-2007 at 12:25 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West (+2)  
I agree with Noah. The mistake he pointed out leads to an even bigger problem:

Once you get on to the trapdoors, you are also losing time because of the way you clear the tar blobs.

Hope this helps :)
09-15-2007 at 02:30 AM
paxbellum
thanx alot I'll give that a try

09-15-2007 at 05:42 PM
paxbellum
yup, that worked out for me. tanx a lot, guys (or girls, whatever the case may be)

09-20-2007 at 01:21 AM
Page 2 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Fourth Level : 1 South, 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com