Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Brains, invisibility, and decoys
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
IP: Logged
icon Brains, invisibility, and decoys (0)  
I just noticed this when playing around in the editor. If Beethro is invisible, but a decoy is placed within the range of a brain, the brain will direct monsters towards Beethro. This seems illogical since it shouldn't know where Beethro is.

My preferred solution to this would be to have the brain ignore the decoy, so that if Beethro is invisible and out of range, the brain will be inactive, decoys or not. Alternatively, you could have the brain direct monsters towards the decoy, but I don't really like that solution. The first one seems more consistent with the fact that brains are not fooled by decoys when Beethro is visible.

04-13-2005 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Brains, invisibility, and decoys (0)  
Hmm, I can't repeat this. I did it both with Beethro invisible and visible when placing the decoy both in range of the brain and not in range, and in all cases the succulentness of the decoy is enough to distract the roaches. Can you post an example room where this is happening to you?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-13-2005 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
Oneiromancer wrote:
Hmm, I can't repeat this. I did it both with Beethro invisible and visible when placing the decoy both in range of the brain and not in range, and in all cases the succulentness of the decoy is enough to distract the roaches.

Yes, roaches will always be distracted by a decoy, regardless of brain presence, but I meant a situation where the decoy is within range of the brain but outside range of the critters it controls. In this case, the critters will head towards Beethro.

04-13-2005 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Okay, yes, I was able to reproduce this...I didn't have the correct setup. It seems that the brain sees the decoy, so it thinks it sees Beethro, but the programming is such that they go for Beethro for real. I should point out that a second decoy stops the roaches in their tracks, but it does appear that the original issue is truly a bug.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-13-2005 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
This may or may not be a bug, but roches won't that are in range of a decoy will NOT ever use a brain to get to the decoy, or beathro. Even if the brain can se beathro or a decoy. Also if the brain can see a decoy, beathro in invisable, and out of range of the roaches. They will use the brain to get to beathro, not the decoy.

[Edited by patmo98 at Local Time:04-14-2005 at 01:06 AM]
04-14-2005 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Oneiromancer wrote:
It seems that the brain sees the decoy, so it thinks it sees Beethro, but the programming is such that they go for Beethro for real. ...it does appear that [this] issue is truly a bug.
Yes, it is a bug. I've fixed it in the next patch so that decoys will not affect whether brains can sense (and direct monsters towards) an invisible player.
This may or may not be a bug, but roaches...in range of a decoy will NOT ever use a brain to get to the decoy, or beathro.
This is the correct and intended behavior.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-29-2005 at 04:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Brains, invisibility, and decoys
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com