Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (yargh)
Page 3 of 4
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
ChrisB
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
IP: Logged
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (0)  
1N1E

So far the only secret hints posted for this level seem to have been for 3N.

1n1e is my third and last secret room for this level, but I cannot kill the mothers before they spawn in Halph's section.

Any clues as to the order of the doors and clearing?

Cheers
Chris

05-01-2006 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+1)  
Try looking here.
05-01-2006 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
I am a tetch frustrated with this room. I've been stuck on it for...well, a long time. Every so often I come back and see if I can get lucky and get through it, but so far no dice.

I made it through the non-secret version of the room once, doing what I knew how to do. What was different for me was that I was pleased and amazed to see all the brained roaches cluster together at the bottom of the screen and then line up in single file to come get me as I hung out at the top of the screen. This was kinda nice.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to reproduce this trick, which means I can't get out. I've tried the more direct approach without much success.

Anyone have any pointers for making the roaches behave to the point where I can hold them off long enough for Halph to open the doors for me?

Josh
(this and one other room on L22 are all that stand between me and the Dreamplane)

05-01-2006 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ChrisB
michthro wrote:
Try looking here.

Thanks Michthro

Hadn't thought to search for a secret room on the ordiansry Hints pages.

Chris

05-01-2006 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Nekora
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Well, after nearly 3 hours of trying to get into that middle-left cubbyhole, I'm getting rather frustrated.

Click here to view the secret text

I figure there's something I'm missing, but I can't see for the life of me what it is.

If anyone can tell me what I'm missing, I'd be very appreciative. One of those demos of the room being solved in this way couldn't hurt either.

Thanks.
05-02-2006 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ChrisB

File: JtRH Twenty-Second Level 1N1E Victory.demo (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 398 times.
License: Public Domain
Hi Nekora

Your post is timed on my PC at around 3 o'clock in the morning - I hope you are in a different time zone to the UK or you have a serious insomnia problem!!!

I have PM'd my demo to help out. Hell, I cannot attach a demo to a PM.

See attached instead.

P.S. - thanks to those who helped me achieve this - especially Oneiromancer.

Cheers
Chris

[Last edited by ChrisB at 05-02-2006 07:29 PM]
05-02-2006 at 07:20 PM
jbluestein
I think my request got buried under a number of other messages that came right on its heels...so I'm bumping it.

Rather than retype the whole thing, I'm just including a pointer:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5848&page=2#105561

Josh

05-03-2006 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I can't even get into the bottom right chamber, much less the middle left/right. I could follow the demo move for move, but that's hard enough in itself. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Hooray for the laws of H&S. Found my own way to do it based on that demo. Thanks. Dreamplane is awesome.

[Last edited by coppro at 05-05-2006 05:02 AM]
05-05-2006 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
OK, I utterly surrender on this room. Hours and hours over months and months and I've never come anywhere close to solving it.

Thanks...

06-10-2006 at 08:05 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679

File: JtRH Twenty-Second Level 3N.demo (5.1 KB)
Downloaded 198 times.
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+3)  
OK, here's an escape path demo. It's easy enough as long as you kill a few queens first. I'm not sure if starting from the NW is going to make much difference. You'll kill the brains quickly, but that's not the hard part. Worth a shot though.
Good luck!
06-10-2006 at 09:30 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
fratropea's post on the last page has this demo attached, which solves it from the south entrance.
06-11-2006 at 03:43 AM
jbluestein
michthro wrote:
OK, here's an escape path demo. It's easy enough as long as you kill a few queens first. I'm not sure if starting from the NW is going to make much difference. You'll kill the brains quickly, but that's not the hard part. Worth a shot though.
Good luck!

Thanks michthro!

Killing the brains may not be the hard part, but at least it gives me a chance to try to solve the room from a different angle.

So far I've got the bottom two chambers cleared. Working on an approach to the next chamber. Not easy, but a lot less frustrating!

This room has replaced L24 1S1W as my least favorite JtRH room. Plus, once I finish it, hello Dreamplane!

Josh

06-11-2006 at 02:29 PM
jbluestein
Finally! I have solved this room and moved on to the Dreamplane!

I just want to note:

1) michthro's demo was a huge help

2) equally valuable was Crazy Ivan's post about where to position Halph. I might still have solved the room without this, but I was up over 4000 moves and still hadn't hit the third cubbyhole yet. With this little trick, I was able to solve the room in a mere (!) 2000+ moves.

Reproducing the critical hint below:

So modding up michthro and Crazy Ivan appropriately.

Hooray!

[Last edited by jbluestein at 06-12-2006 05:41 PM]
06-12-2006 at 03:21 PM
Chimerix
Rank Points: 41
Ok, I can get thru the "kill the brains" part. Then comes an endless stream of roaches. I've spent over half an hour battling the flood, and while it waxes and wanes, it never gives me enough of a break to even THINK about stepping into a room, fighting the stockpiled bugs, and killing the queens.

Overall, I'm being pretty darned efficient with the roaches... it's a rare turn when I don't splat one. The only thing that keeps me going is the posts citing demos over 10K moves. I just don't see how that's going to make a difference, tho...

[addition] Ok, still whacking away at this. By my calculations (I had to use my toes too!) there are 18 roaches per spawn coming down from the upper rooms. That, plus 5 per spawn from the lower-left room, is 23 roaches to kill evey 30 moves. With that whopping 7 move slack (a few of which admittedly get squandered fighting the flood) I just can't make any headway into the room. I can stand out here smiting roaches all day (ok, I HAVE stood out here smiting roaches all day) but I don't see how a break will ever emerge.

PS I'm a little disappointed I didn't solve this immediately after my first post!

Abbyzzmal wrote:
Difficult room. Well here, in order of spoilerness:

[Last edited by Chimerix at 10-13-2006 01:28 AM]
10-13-2006 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ChrisB
Chimerix wrote:
Ok, I can get thru the "kill the brains" part. Then comes an endless stream of roaches. I've spent over half an hour battling the flood, and while it waxes and wanes, it never gives me enough of a break to even THINK about stepping into a room, fighting the stockpiled bugs, and killing the queens.

Overall, I'm being pretty darned efficient with the roaches... it's a rare turn when I don't splat one. The only thing that keeps me going is the posts citing demos over 10K moves. I just don't see how that's going to make a difference, tho...

[addition] Ok, still whacking away at this. By my calculations (I had to use my toes too!) there are 18 roaches per spawn coming down from the upper rooms. That, plus 5 per spawn from the lower-left room, is 23 roaches to kill evey 30 moves. With that whopping 7 move slack (a few of which admittedly get squandered fighting the flood) I just can't make any headway into the room. I can stand out here smiting roaches all day (ok, I HAVE stood out here smiting roaches all day) but I don't see how a break will ever emerge.

PS I'm a little disappointed I didn't solve this immediately after my first post!

Abbyzzmal wrote:
Difficult room. Well here, in order of spoilerness:

My answer was NOT to kill the brains until last - start in the top right corner (NW) and work anticlockwise, you should be able to kill th first three queens just after the first spawn. Demo if needed (under 1k moves). I am assuming you are talking about 3N??

Chris

[Last edited by ChrisB at 10-13-2006 05:30 PM]
10-13-2006 at 05:29 PM
pamacdon
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+2)  
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! :w00t

2667 Moves, 2 days, a hundred deaths but its done!!!

Just tell me where i go to pick up my plaque and we'll leave it at that.

p.
02-01-2007 at 08:11 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
pamacdon wrote:
Just tell me where i go to pick up my plaque and we'll leave it at that.
Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

No, wait... wrong movie... :D

np: Funckarma - Plice (Bion Glent)

02-01-2007 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
a lurker
Rank Points: 10
I'm trying this room from the NW enterance, killing the brains and I also got Halph in the position suggested in one of the screenshots. I can't get into any of the alcoves though. Every time I try to empty one out so I can get in there, I can only kill a few roaches until the next wave hits me.
03-25-2007 at 04:59 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
There's a demo earlier on Page 3 of this thread.
03-25-2007 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
a lurker
The demo on page 3 only shows how you get from the S enterance to the NW one.

edit: nevermind, got in.

[Last edited by a lurker at 03-25-2007 04:12 PM]
03-25-2007 at 04:10 PM
vic
I've knocked off every other room, and can not get past this (insert expletive) of a room. I can get in from NW entrance, but that way, can't get into any segment, let alone all of them. If i come in from S, I can't get out of the first segment before being overwhelmed and constantly pushed back into the same segment forever. I could hope that posting will solve, but got the feeling it ain't going to happen this time!!! Any, and I do mean ANY thing that you think might help me kick this rooms behind would be appreciated.

Vic
04-04-2007 at 05:08 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
People, the is a demo right here
04-04-2007 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vic
and after however many tries of F6...watch...copy every move...make one mistake and start again, maybe there is only one way to solve this

Victoria
04-05-2007 at 01:08 AM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333

File: JtRH Twenty-Second Level 3N Victory.demo (7.7 KB)
Downloaded 192 times.
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (+2)  
There's definitely more than one way of doing the room. Here's a demo of the room solved from the northwest. (If you can't get to the NW exit, there's a demo above for how to do it.) This method is a little longer, roughly 4 times, but it's considerably more forgiving since you can use the checkpoints after you clear out each room.

[Last edited by KevG at 04-08-2007 08:11 AM]
04-05-2007 at 07:38 AM
vic
I got rid of every other demo, d/loaded again, and i'm pretty sure the demo is for the south entrance again. Either way, i've gotten as far as getting rid of both brains and tried getting into the nooks that way, and it's as hopeless as the south way. After all the levels I did get through, i'm just not meant to get through this one, and i've pretty much hit my tollerance, even after hours and days away, it just isn't working. Anyway, excellent game. Congrats to developers.

Victoria
04-08-2007 at 06:12 AM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
vic wrote:
I got rid of every other demo, d/loaded again, and i'm pretty sure the demo is for the south entrance again. Either way, i've gotten as far as getting rid of both brains and tried getting into the nooks that way, and it's as hopeless as the south way.
Sorry about that. For some reason, DROD exported the wrong demo. I tried re-exporting it and it still exported the wrong one. But, I've got the correct demo attached now.

There's actually a bit of a trick using Halph that helps when doing it from the northwest. It's explained earlier in the thread.
04-08-2007 at 08:21 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
vic wrote:
I got rid of every other demo, d/loaded again, and i'm pretty sure the demo is for the south entrance again. Either way, i've gotten as far as getting rid of both brains and tried getting into the nooks that way, and it's as hopeless as the south way. After all the levels I did get through, i'm just not meant to get through this one, and i've pretty much hit my tollerance, even after hours and days away, it just isn't working. Anyway, excellent game. Congrats to developers.

Victoria

This is the last room I have to finish before Dreamplane, and I've gotten pretty stuck here also, even after watching all the demos posted in this thread. It seems you have to position Halph in just the right spot and make just the right moves to win... and that's not in line with a pure puzzle game. Rooms like this just aren't fun :thumbsdown

Does The City Beneath have this sort of puzzle? I probably won't purchase if it does.

Edit: Just managed to pull it off by following the demo move for move. On to TCB...

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 09-24-2007 08:21 AM]
09-24-2007 at 07:46 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
No.

In JtRH, the early levels introduce the game elements and the later levels challenge you to solve harder and harder puzzles.

In TCB, every level introduces a new game element. While there is a bit of a difficulty progression, it never gets super-hard like this room.

Edit: The first time I came to this room, I had to copy one of the demos exactly, move for move. When I came back and went through JtRH again, months later, I could just barely manage this room myself. In my opinion, this is the hardest room in all of JtRH. So don't feel bad about finding it hard... you're not alone!

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 09-24-2007 07:57 AM]
09-24-2007 at 07:54 AM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
I finally managed to beat 3N, but I did not use the trick of
mentioned in other posts. Instead, to clear out the third alcove, I
That changed the roaches approach when I was on the retreat to allow me to get one extra kill per spawn cycle.
06-02-2008 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
viditama
ok... this must be stupidest of things but.... i cant watch the demo..... umm... mainly coz i dont no how to..... HELLP!
05-23-2009 at 05:01 PM
Page 3 of 4
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level... secret room (yargh)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com