Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Failing internet connection may cause DROD to crash
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
IP: Logged
icon Failing internet connection may cause DROD to crash (+1)  
This is somewhat odd, but it appears that DROD will crash if it tries to access CaravelNet when the computer is not connected to the internet. More specifically:

Open DROD and make sure you are connected to CaravelNet with a valid key.
Exit DROD.
Turn off your internet connection.
Open DROD and enter the Settings screen. Your username and key should still be in the usual fields.
Click on Okay without changing anything. DROD will crash to desktop instantly.

The drod.err message generated for this event reads "Internet error: 6".

Similarly, this will also cause DROD to crash:

Open DROD and connect to CaravelNet.
Go to the Restore screen.
Turn off your internet connection.
Press F6 to view the demos for a room. Again, crash to desktop.

The message for this event is "Internet error: 28".

I also have an error message that reads "Internet error: 52". This is the first internet error generated in my drod.err. It occured when my connection failed while I was trying to download the demos for a room (I'm on wireless, so the connection fails occasionally). I had brought up the demos screen without trouble, though, so I'd guess that my connection failed in the middle of the high score transfer.

In any case, I pressed Escape to return to the Restore screen, which worked fine. Then I pressed Escape again to return to the menu, and DROD crashed. The log from this session has two lines of "Internet error: 6", so this part seems to be the same problem as the first crash I described.

04-08-2005 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Failing internet connection may cause DROD to crash (0)  
I tested against this early on, but a bug crept in when we changed how CaravelNet handles timeouts late in the development process.

I could reproduce this, thus I was able to fix it. The fix will be in the next patch.

Thanks!

04-11-2005 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
I still need to request a new CaravelNet key every time JtRH crashes. I've been assuming these crashes (on Linux) are memory problems. They happen most often when either entering a new room for the first time or when pressing Esc. Below is my drod.err file, but the timestamps don't match crashes, I think. Anyway, I'm more concerned that my keys are always invalidated, whatever else is going on.

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 4/11/05 10:06PM ***
Assertion error in line 1700 of ../../DROD/CharacterDialogWidget.cpp: "Invalid character command (2)"
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 4/12/05 12:59AM ***
Assertion error in line 580 of ../../DROD/HoldSelectScreen.cpp: "GetDbRefCount() == dwStartingDbRefCount"
*** 4/12/05 4:29PM ***
Assertion error in line 580 of ../../DROD/HoldSelectScreen.cpp: "GetDbRefCount() == dwStartingDbRefCount"

04-13-2005 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
schep wrote:
I still need to request a new CaravelNet key every time JtRH crashes. I've been assuming these crashes (on Linux) are memory problems. They happen most often when either entering a new room for the first time or when pressing Esc. Below is my drod.err file, but the timestamps don't match crashes, I think. Anyway, I'm more concerned that my keys are always invalidated, whatever else is going on.

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 4/11/05 10:06PM ***
Assertion error in line 1700 of ../../DROD/CharacterDialogWidget.cpp: "Invalid character command (2)"
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 4/12/05 12:59AM ***
*** 4/12/05 4:29PM ***
These errors have been fixed in an upcoming patch.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-13-2005 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Failing internet connection may cause DROD to crash
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com