Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : "corrupt" demos on CaravelNet (some of the demos for level 18, 1s2w do not result in victory when I play them)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
IP: Logged
icon "corrupt" demos on CaravelNet (0)  
I downloaded the demos for level 18, 1s2w, and a few of these give the "This demo is corrupted or from another version of DROD with different gameplay behavior" message. Specifically: ClaytonW, silver, and Doom have demos uploaded that result in Beethro dying when I play them. In Doom's demo, for example, Halph opens the door and the roaches from the little room come out and eat Beethro. It looks like perhaps Halph was somehow positioned differently when he played.
04-08-2005 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
icon Re: "corrupt" demos on CaravelNet (0)  
wmarkham wrote:
I downloaded the demos for level 18, 1s2w, and a few of these give the "This demo is corrupted or from another version of DROD with different gameplay behavior" message. Specifically: ClaytonW, silver, and Doom have demos uploaded that result in Beethro dying when I play them. In Doom's demo, for example, Halph opens the door and the roaches from the little room come out and eat Beethro. It looks like perhaps Halph was somehow positioned differently when he played.

I have not looked at them yet, but I bet that the demo was probably completed by a tester and the room had changed after they completed the demo.
04-08-2005 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
That would only be true for Clayton...but it can't be, because the tester versions had demos saved to a different database, and not the one that is currently being used for the live JtRH. If their players were imported to the final version, and nothing changed, then the demos could be uploaded. But rooms that had anything changed should have been caught in the importing progress and the save and demo status changed appropriately.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-08-2005 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
Oneiromancer wrote:
That would only be true for Clayton...but it can't be, because the tester versions had demos saved to a different database, and not the one that is currently being used for the live JtRH. If their players were imported to the final version, and nothing changed, then the demos could be uploaded. But rooms that had anything changed should have been caught in the importing progress and the save and demo status changed appropriately.

Game on,

Hummm... strange then. So, could a tester use their current player file, then upload their scores again and cause the problem?
04-08-2005 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well...if the rooms didn't change between the final beta build and the current release, then the demos should still be valid and imported with your player, and uploaded when you choose to Upload Scores on the Settings page. Otherwise the demos will only exist on the old database. If the rooms changed, then the demos would have been deleted on import. Doom and Silver weren't beta testers though, so their demos shouldn't be affected.

It's possible, though, that the version of JtRH in the database isn't the same as the one that we all have...that's something to be investigated.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-08-2005 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
Well, I downloaded the Linux version on 4/5.

I've kept my eye out since then, and these are the only corrupt demos that I've seen. I've checked a bunch of other rooms, including most of the ones with Halph, including one around level 22 or so with Halph and tar mothers that is fairly timing-critical. I'm still working on another tough one with Halph that might be a good test. For the moment, though, it looks like it is only that one room, which does seem act as though people are playing two different versions of it.
04-09-2005 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
wmarkham wrote:
Last weekend, I updated the game versions available for download to 2.001. They have a fix to some buggy Halph behavior, so some Halph demos from the earlier version will be corrupted. We'll eventually get around to cleaning off high-score demos that no longer work, so just ignore these for now. Also, we're working on a way to make the latest game version available to everyone so people's gameplay stays more synched. With patience, you will see it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-10-2005 at 05:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : "corrupt" demos on CaravelNet (some of the demos for level 18, 1s2w do not result in victory when I play them)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com