Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Undo
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
IP: Logged
icon Undo (0)  
I was playing earlier, when I stepped on a mimic potion. I started to place the mimic, but then decided that I wanted to wait before using the mimic, so I hit backspace to undo the move. However, it only undid the last step of my cursor movement for mimic placement. Since undo doesn't really help while you're placing a mimic (Except for after you've actually placed it), is there any chance of making it so that the move that is undone in that situation is the act of actually stepping on the potion?

04-07-2005 at 08:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Undo (0)  
*Sighs quietly* Oh dear...

This came up several times in beta - and it was decided that it would be too much work to change it, and thnat the devs preferred it the way it is. (In fact sometimes we argued this a bit too forcefully.) I was one of the ones who wanted it changed, and I agree it seems far more intuitive to have it that way, but I'm afraid that when you start moving the mimic around, you're committed. You can only undo mimic placement the turn after you step on the potion.

"Oook!"
04-07-2005 at 09:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
krammer wrote:
*Sighs quietly* Oh dear...

This came up several times in beta - and it was decided that it would be too much work to change it, and thnat the devs preferred it the way it is. (In fact sometimes we argued this a bit too forcefully.) I was one of the ones who wanted it changed, and I agree it seems far more intuitive to have it that way, but I'm afraid that when you start moving the mimic around, you're committed. You can only undo mimic placement the turn after you step on the potion.

Oh well, if it's a bunch of work, it's not really that big of a deal. It's just one of those things that'd be nice to have, not something that I can't live without...

04-07-2005 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
asmussen wrote:
I was playing earlier, when I stepped on a mimic potion. I started to place the mimic, but then decided that I wanted to wait before using the mimic, so I hit backspace to undo the move. However, it only undid the last step of my cursor movement for mimic placement. Since undo doesn't really help while you're placing a mimic (Except for after you've actually placed it), is there any chance of making it so that the move that is undone in that situation is the act of actually stepping on the potion?
This will be fixed in the next iteration of the DROD engine.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-07-2005 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
mrimer wrote:
This will be fixed in the next iteration of the DROD engine.

To clarify, this isn't going to be in the next patch, or anything like that...we're talking DROD 3.0 here (JtRH is DROD 2.0), so it's going to be some time. It's a significant enough rewrite of the timing aspect of the game that it's not going to be done quickly. Maybe if we had caught this early on in the development process...but no one really brought it up until beta testing.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-07-2005 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Undo
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com