Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Three Trials (5 levels and 1 room)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
JimTheMighty
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged

File: Three Trials.hold (33.2 KB)
Downloaded 162 times.
License: Other
icon Three Trials (+1)  
The idea for the hold was 3 sets of 5 levels each followed by 1 challenging "trial". I'm afraid, however, that I found out quickly that I am not the best architect :weep
Nevertheless, I pressed on and finished the first set, and here they are. I'm almost 100% sure the whole thing is solvable, but I didn't automatically save victory demos, so for some of the rooms I might not have solved since I made a small change. If you think anything is impossible, or find any trivial solutions, please let me know. Thanks.

[Edited by JimTheMighty at Local Time:03-29-2005 at 07:32 PM]
03-29-2005 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Three Trials (+1)  
Well, so far the first two rooms have been pretty challenging:

Entrance:
It took a few tries to find a suitable set up, but I found that:
Click here to view the secret text

1N:
This took some thinking about how to place the mimics. And even after I had a good formation, it took several tries to get everything just right for the whole room.
I'm not sure if you would consider this trivial (or if its your intended solution, but:

03-29-2005 at 11:44 PM
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Three Trials (0)  
I also

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:03-30-2005 at 01:28 AM: don't need everything secret]

03-29-2005 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
2N: very tricky! But I did manage to drop all the trap doors. I'm not sure if that means I'm a master intellect, but I did have to think quite a bit.... :-)

03-30-2005 at 12:02 AM
JimTheMighty

On 3N, I found it pretty hard to drop all the trapdoors and still manipulate the goblins. Maybe your method was different than mine, or maybe you are a better player than I :)

Thanks for the feedback so far.
03-30-2005 at 01:26 AM
stigant
On 3N, I found it pretty hard to drop all the trapdoors and still manipulate the goblins.

I think you mean 2N, but essentially, I used the same strategy for 2N as I did for the entrance, but I
Once you've found a way to handle that wrinkle, putting the goblins into the snake areas was pretty straightforward, with a few gotchas which were easy to handle as they come.

3N - Nice gotcha at the end there with the inaccesible roach. This takes some nice thinking to get through, but all the thinking is at the beginning. Once you see the trick, its very easy.

3N1W - I kinda felt like you were starting to repeat yourself. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice elaboration on 3N, and you have to add some complexity to your handling of the mob, but I found the tar ring to be tedious and unchallenging to get rid of.

2N1W - This is a forhead slap room - once you see the trick, its trivial.

1N1W - again, I used the same strategy as in the other rooms like this (Entrance and 2N). Although, I did have to invent a trick to get rid of the goblins after I took out the roaches. I'm not sure what was the point of having the mimics or the snakes. In otherwords, its trivial to get rid of the snakes. The hard part is what comes after that. So the snakes don't really add anything to the room.

1N1E - this one is quite a bit simpler than any of your other rooms. It doesn't quite fit in. Plus, there's a lot of tediousness (qwing) at the beginning. Could you at least make one of the walls next to the first queen crumbly so that we can get through the spawn a little quicker?

2N1E - was the intent here to use the goblins to kill the snakes? Because I didn't do it that way, and it seemed pretty easy (esp in light of the other rooms like this.)

3N1E - the arrow path-map bug makes this room a lot easier than I think you meant for it to be. I'll probably regret saying this (since there are soooooooo many trap doors), but maybe you should add a red door to the SE corridor.

03-30-2005 at 09:02 PM
JimTheMighty
3N - Yes, I liked this room a lot. Just to confirm...

3N1W- Originally, the crumbly wall wasn't there, which made for a pretty hard room, but I eventually decided that was pretty mean and added the wall. I think you used a different method than I again here, as my way still involved the same approach after hitting the orb, but a lot of thinking at the beginning.
In the end, I thought that if you are good at dealing with tar it can be solved very quickly after you realize how to best approach it, and if not, practice is always good ;)

2N1W - Yes, that was the idea :D

1N1W - The point of the snakes was to allow you to use mimics, but to force them to start in awkward locations. Apparently it didn't work. I realized after I finished the hold that

1N1E - I didn't end up having to do much mindless slashing since

2N1E -

3N1E - You're right, that is most definately trivial, as this is actually supposed to be one of the harder rooms on the level.

One question: Is the brain path-map bug (for walking off gates and/or force arrows) going to be fixed in JtRH, and is this something which I should take into account? Because I think that well over 3/4 of Level 3 and at least 2 rooms in Level 4 will be either impossible or too easy without it, as I had designed as though this were the inteded behavior -_-
03-31-2005 at 05:36 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
JimTheMighty wrote:
One question: Is the brain path-map bug (for walking off gates and/or force arrows) going to be fixed in JtRH, and is this something which I should take into account? Because I think that well over 3/4 of Level 3 and at least 2 rooms in Level 4 will be either impossible or too easy without it, as I had designed as though this were the inteded behavior -_-
Yes - this is a bug, and will be fixed for JtRH.

03-31-2005 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant

File: TT Level 1 3N Victory.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
3N - No, I

1N1E - I'm not sure what you mean... the roaches are all behind yellow doors until you release them at the south end of the room.

03-31-2005 at 02:30 PM
stigant

File: TT Level 1 2N1E Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
Here's my demo for 2N1E. I killed all the goblins, then released the snakes.

3N1E - yes, I believe that you will eliminate the path map problem if you replace your arrows with trapdoors. I played the room again to see if I could kill all the goblins and remove all the trapdoors, and I was successful after several attempts, so you could just add a red door as I suggested, but I think replacing the arrows is also reasonable.

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:03-31-2005 at 02:34 PM]

03-31-2005 at 02:31 PM
JimTheMighty
Yes - this is a bug, and will be fixed for JtRH.

Darn, I was hoping since this affected so many rooms in so many ways it might be left alone. :( Oh well, I will replace level 3 with something completely different...

3N - I thought I had made sure that didn't work. I suppose you did the same sort of thing on 3N1W? I don't know how to fix it, and I guess it is not too bad, so I'll leave it.

2N1E - Thanks. I've made sure your solution is impossible in the new room (I didn't realize you could kill those goblins), so now you must use the serpents as I inteded.

1N1E -

04-01-2005 at 12:14 AM
stigant
2N1E - Thanks. I've made sure your solution is impossible in the new room (I didn't realize you could kill those goblins), so now you must use the serpents as I inteded.

Yep, although

1N1E -

Oh, I see. My solution was quite different. I didn't think to try it that way. Although, I found mimic placement to be much more difficult since

04-01-2005 at 03:15 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Three Trials (5 levels and 1 room)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com