Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Monster: Dungeon BUTTERFLY / Moth + Caterpillar
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged

File: spooky.jpg (40.9 KB)
Downloaded 201 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Monster: Dungeon BUTTERFLY / Moth + Caterpillar (0)  
I had this idea while trying to sleep some time ago :D

The Dungeon Butterfly (or Moth) is a distant cousin of its surface siblings. Its frail wings keeps it from moving in direct lines, causing it to move in a zig-zag pattern. Every 30 turns, the butterfly/moth lies eggs, which hatch into caterpillars that run away from Beethro. After another 20 turns, these caterpillars create a chrysalis (pupa) (yeah, had to look that up :)) that stay so for another 10 turns, until out comes another butterfly/moth, ready to attack Beethro and create more caterpillars.

The ruleset:

1. The Butterfly (or Moth) is a flying monster, and so can move above pits. It moves towards Beethro with roach-logic, except it can't move in the same direction twice in a row (this causes it to actually seem smarter than a roach in some situations, since it can enable it to move around small obstacles). It then selects the direction that will bring it closest to Beethro.

1b. In the case that the Butterfly/Moth is in a direct line with Beethro - let's say for this example that Beethro is directly north, but it applies for all directions - and the Butterfly moved north the previous turn, so that both NW and NE will bring the butterfly equally close to Beethro, it will select the opposite direction Beethro's sword is facing.

1c. In the special case of 1b where Beethro's sword is facing directly towards or away from the Butterfly, it will fly towards the direction where Beethro's sword was before he last turned (regardless if he turned on the current tile), as the Butterfly expects him to continue the swinging.

2. The Butterfly will lay eggs every 30 turns, like a Roach Queen. Eggs that would be laid above pits won't be laid. Eggs can be destroyed by Beethro's sword.

3. The Caterpillar will move as far away from Beethro as it can, with Roach Queen logic. After 20 turns on the run, it turns into a chrysalis/pupa.

4. Chrysalis/pupa can not be destroyed by Beethro's sword. (Remember that this isn't normal Caterpillars, they are Dungeon Caterpillars.) They disappear when the Butterfly comes out after 10 more turns (at the 30-turn mark).

5. If any light sources are present, Butterflies/Moths are attracted towards them in stead of towards Beethro. This does not apply if the Butterfly is under the influence of a Brain.

So, what do you think ? Too complicated ?

- Gerry

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-04-2007 11:47 PM]
06-20-2003 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Monster: Dungeon Butterfly / Moth + Caterpillar (0)  
I think that it may be just a little too complicated, in terms of how the new moths are born. You probably don't need to be so "realistic", and just have the new moths hatch right away.

A few caveats though:

1. No eggs can be laid over pits, even though the resulting moths could fly afterwards.

2. Since moths are attracted to Beethro (instead of repelled like roach queens) I think it would be a bad idea to have them lay as many eggs as a roach queen. Perhaps a maximum of three (or even less).

3. If you do want to keep the whole caterpillar stage, I think the chrysalis should not be invulnerable. This may be the only chance Beethro gets to kill the little buggers, and it may be too difficult otherwise.

Interesting idea!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-20-2003 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Do the eggs hatch immediately into catterpillers?

It could work that the butterfly lays the egg(s), which sit there for a few turns (sort of like the way the queen's offspring grows for a few turns when they spawn). This would give Beethro more of a chance of killing them before they run away.

What sorts of thing emit light in drod?
06-20-2003 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think that it may be just a little too complicated, in terms of how the new moths are born. You probably don't need to be so "realistic", and just have the new moths hatch right away.
You're probably right that it's a bit too "realistic", but i don't like the idea of the eggs hatching into new moths right away. As you said in caveat 2, that would just make it too hard unless we reduce the number of eggs.. And i liked the caterpillars :P

3. If you do want to keep the whole caterpillar stage, I think the chrysalis should not be invulnerable. This may be the only chance Beethro gets to kill the little buggers, and it may be too difficult otherwise.
You're right. I agree.

Interesting idea!
Thanks!

bdcribbs wrote:
Do the eggs hatch immediately into catterpillers?
I was thinking they'd work exactly like Roach Queen eggs, ie. they grow over three turns. As you said, that will give Beethro some time to kill them before they run away.

What sorts of thing emit light in drod?
Right now there's nothing, but i saw a few feature requests about torches and the like that may make it into the game. I thought it could be interesting if moths are drawn towards those :)

- Gerry

06-20-2003 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Monster: Dungeon BUTTERFLY / Moth + Caterpillar
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com