Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Teleportitis Potion (Beetho teleported once in a while as long as it lasts)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Teleportitis Potion (+1)  
Hey

If you play Nethack/ADOM/other roguelikes, you probably know what I am up to.

Picking up Teleportitis Potion would toggle Teleportitis effect. Just like with Invisibility.

Now the fun part: while Beethro is under effect of Teleportitis, the following things are done at start of each spawn cycle:

1) If there's a Teleportation Marker somewhere, Beethro is placed at that location.
2) Remove Teleportation Marker
3) Place a visible Teleportation Marker at Beethro's position. On same layer as Force Arrows.

So, essentially, this effect teleports Beethro to place he was 30 turns ago. It is done at beginning of spawn cycle.

Errata:
- I guess it's not possible for Force Arrow and Teleportation Marker to occupy the same square(can Wisps and Force Arrows be on same square?). So I think Teleport Marker is not placed if Beethro is on Force Arrow square at the moment.
- What should happen if Teleportation Marker is placed on Trapdoor ? They tend to collapse, you know. I propose something like this: after 30 turns, if Beethro is still on the same square (meaning that trapdoor is still trapdoor, not pit), Beethro is teleported there so basically nothing happens. However, if Beethro already left the square and it's a pit now, Beethro dies at the moment of teleportation.

So in case it's placed on a trapdoor, Beethro has to finish room in 30 turns after leaving trapdoor square ! Doom counter...
Alternate solution would be that Teleportation Markers are simply not placed on trapdoors, so Beethro wouldn't be teleported in this spawn cycle.

I think this could be pretty fun item to play with. Beethro could afford making (heroic) suicide runs. Or it would simply disturb him and make things harder.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-18-2005 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
icon Re: Teleportitis Potion (0)  
I feel silly repplying to myself, but I left one case unclear.

Tar shouldn't grow on Teleport Markers. It's just too problematic otherwise.

How come no one likes Teleportitis in DROD ?

03-18-2005 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
Sounds interesting to me. I like the idea of allowing placement on trap doors. You would have to make sure not to be on one or else, as you said, the 30 move DOOMSDAY counter starts!
03-18-2005 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think the idea is rather complicated, but has potential.

03-18-2005 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Teleportitis Potion (+1)  
Only one question - do you really need the potion? I mean, you have them markers, stick with them. If there are no markers, it won't work, potion or no potion. If there are markers which you clearly intend to be part of the puzzle, do you really need the "get the teleportitis potion first" part? Just the markers as a game element looks like a good idea to me.

03-19-2005 at 11:18 AM
b0rsuk
Maurog: what you just described is one shot teleport, which would take Beethro to specific spot. That can be done, but what for ? From what I understand tunnels in JTRH already work this way, mostly. To make one-way tunnel you'd have to place a force arrow.

Notice that in my approach player has partial control over teleportation. He can assure being teleported to certain spot. But cannot choose it freely, he has to access the square and be there at the right time.
I just noticed a flaw in rule I posted above. It would teleport Beethro always to the same spot, which is not the way it should go. Thanks for reporting the bug ;-)

All points I listed above should happen at turn 1, except for placing of Teleport Marker, which happens at turn 30.p

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:03-19-2005 at 03:41 PM]

03-19-2005 at 03:28 PM
eytanz
B0rusk - I think you misunderstood Maurog. If I understood him correctly, what he's suggesting is that instead of a potion, there will already be a teleport Marker in the room when Beethro enters. From then on, it will work like your suggestion does, including dropping a new marker before teleporting.

So, Beethro doesn't have control over the first placement of the marker, but he will have partial control from then on.

This idea is slightly better, in my opinion, than the potion version because it gives the room architect more control (since with a potion, Beethro could just wait and time the first teleport very carefully. With a pre-placed marker, the timing is up to the architect), and thus reduces the chance of trivial solutions and the like.

03-19-2005 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I'm not sure how much I agree with putting Beethro on a leash. Wasn't there a big stink in the FR board earlier about not having dungeon elements that restrict his movement?

03-19-2005 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
I don't think is quite the same as restricting his movement - it's not nearly as limiting as anything that changes movement rules directly. Which isn't to say I'm not skeptical about how this feature will actually play in practice.

03-19-2005 at 04:08 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Teleportitis Potion (Beetho teleported once in a while as long as it lasts)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com