Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD on Mac OS X?
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD on Mac OS X? (0)  
patmo98 wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. All of the delvelepers now use a private source control server for JtRH. This means that the latest copy of the source on sourceforge.net is the latest copy of the source for AE. If I remember right the name of the module you need to check out is "Caravel" without the quotes. If you want a non-command-line CVS client take a look at Tortoise CVS.

It's possible that the patches posted here could have been produced against a slightly older snapshot. However, I would expect only very minor differences, if any. Let me know if that's not the case.

Weston
05-03-2005 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wmarkham
Rank Points: 125
icon Re: DROD on Mac OS X? (+2)  
I have placed a prebuilt binary of my open source port of DROD:AE for OS X at http://users.telerama.com/~realms/drod-1_6-ppc-with-data.tar.bz2.
It is built from the Caravel sources mentioned above, patched with the patches I posted above. It is statically linked with: Metakit, Expat, SDL, SDL_ttf, freetype, which are all available in source form as well. I believe the Config file from my patches describes the particular versions that I build with.

There is no sound. Sorry.

This also includes the Data files needed to run, except for the music and sound effects. The binary will, hopefully, find them in the Data directory that is "next to" the binary. It worked when I launched it from a command line, anyway. It gives a warning about low memory. Ignore that. And it creates copies of some of the data files when it is first launched. These appear in the same Data directory that I bundled, which might be confusing.... Um. That's it.

Weston
10-10-2005 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
PUG1911
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: DROD on Mac OS X? (+1)  
wmarkham wrote:
I have placed a prebuilt binary of my open source port of DROD:AE for OS X at http://users.telerama.com/~realms/drod-1_6-ppc-with-data.tar.bz2.
It is built from the Caravel sources mentioned above, patched with the patches I posted above. It is statically linked with: Metakit, Expat, SDL, SDL_ttf, freetype, which are all available in source form as well. I believe the Config file from my patches describes the particular versions that I build with.

There is no sound. Sorry.

This also includes the Data files needed to run, except for the music and sound effects. The binary will, hopefully, find them in the Data directory that is "next to" the binary. It worked when I launched it from a command line, anyway. It gives a warning about low memory. Ignore that. And it creates copies of some of the data files when it is first launched. These appear in the same Data directory that I bundled, which might be confusing.... Um. That's it.

Weston

Works absolutely great! Thanks again for making this available for OS X.
10-10-2005 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jordthro
Rank Points: 100
Does anyone still have this? It looks like the link is broken.

07-25-2013 at 07:14 PM
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
GatEB has a native Mac build, and I've played all the old holds on that. Unless you're specifically looking for King Dugan's Dungeon or the Architect Edition.

Edit:
http://caravelgames.com/Articles/Games_2/DownloadGatEB.html

With this, you can play all the user-made holds of course, you'd just have to purchase the official ones if you wanted them.

[Last edited by west.logan at 07-25-2013 07:27 PM]
07-25-2013 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jordthro
I appreciate your help and I do own the full version of GatEB already (which gives me the Mac versions as well). My purpose in getting my hands on this is different: I'm putting together a compilation thumb drive of all versions of DROD along with the official SmS's and any box scans for one massive archive. I'm also including fan made games, scans of maps, etc... and just wanted this to add to the collection that's all.

07-25-2013 at 07:40 PM
west.logan
Ah, gotcha. That sounds like quite the endeavor. Just curious but any reason in particular you want the Mac versions? If it's just for archival and completeness purposes, wouldn't the original Windows versions be acceptable?

In any case, I hope you find what you're looking for.

07-25-2013 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jordthro
Is that how most Mac users play AE (assuming they play AE instead of KDD 2.0)? I guess that makes sense given that there is no downloadable form of AE for the Mac in the downloads section. I just assumed it wasn't updated for some reason.

07-25-2013 at 08:44 PM
west.logan
I played KDD on both TCB and GatEB, though I also had JtRH installed on my Mac and could have played it on there too I guess. As far as I know, the few of us Mac players there are play KDD 2.0 on the more recent engine(s) and don't bother with AE at all. Though I did have AE installed on a virtual machine on my Mac for a little while. It wasn't worth it to me though.

I bet 95% of Windows users go with the newer engines too, since the new engine is completely backwards compatible. I guess the only reason you'd want to is if you wanted music or styles or had a screen issue like Jacob's girlfriend.

Or if you're collecting like you :)

[Last edited by west.logan at 07-25-2013 08:55 PM]
07-25-2013 at 08:53 PM
Jordthro
Well, thanks for trying anyway, west.logan.

07-25-2013 at 09:25 PM
west.logan
Maybe someone else can help, but I think this thread was done back before JtRH for Mac came out, so once that happened I'm sure interest was lost.

07-25-2013 at 09:29 PM
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
west.logan wrote:
I played KDD on both TCB and GatEB, though I also had JtRH installed on my Mac and could have played it on there too I guess. As far as I know, the few of us Mac players there are play KDD 2.0 on the more recent engine(s) and don't bother with AE at all. Though I did have AE installed on a virtual machine on my Mac for a little while. It wasn't worth it to me though.

I bet 95% of Windows users go with the newer engines too, since the new engine is completely backwards compatible. I guess the only reason you'd want to is if you wanted music or styles or had a screen issue like Jacob's girlfriend.

Or if you're collecting like you :)

DROD:AE. Now there's a game I haven't heard in a long time.

But enough StarWars... There was one thing had that JtRH and City Beneath didn't have. Sure, KDD 2.0 had extra content, but it didn't have the full cool and amazing ending that AE had, that replayed the rooms while you beat them and changed depending on how you'd beat them.

(Though, it might have been added back into a later version of DROD in the last few years.)

Bonus points to anyone who remembers Lars' music.

Anyway, it looks to me like the only way you're going to get it to work is to take that patch and compile it yourself.

If it makes you feel any better, it's not like there was an official build for Mac anyway.

Also, I don't think I've even ever seen an 8 year necro before.
07-26-2013 at 06:51 AM
Jordthro
I have never, ever felt such satisfaction as beating DROD:AE for the first time. It took me a few months of grinding through the levels--sometimes a few at a time--sometimes one at a time--and sometimes getting stumped at a room which would completely halt progress. But I did persevere--and refusing to look up any hints or solutions--and oh man was it worth it. I was expecting an ending like Webfoot DROD with a few credits thrown into boot, but when I got to the full AE ending and saw all that work I did, I felt so awesome. Man, I doubt I will ever experience that again with any other game.

07-26-2013 at 06:57 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks for the kind words of praise. Erik had a beautiful design concept with the AE ending, and I'm glad we made it. I agree with you it is unique.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-27-2013 04:21 AM]
07-27-2013 at 04:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Jordthro wrote:
I have never, ever felt such satisfaction as beating DROD:AE for the first time. It took me a few months of grinding through the levels--sometimes a few at a time--sometimes one at a time--and sometimes getting stumped at a room which would completely halt progress. But I did persevere--and refusing to look up any hints or solutions--and oh man was it worth it. I was expecting an ending like Webfoot DROD with a few credits thrown into boot, but when I got to the full AE ending and saw all that work I did, I felt so awesome. Man, I doubt I will ever experience that again with any other game.

Pretty much the same here. It was so amazingly interactive, sort of letting me watch myself beating it "fast-forwarded".

Though, part of it was also the sense of accomplishment.

Nice job on beating the whole thing without help. Sadly, my record isn't quite perfect. I got stuck on the "Two goblins and two snakes" room on 23.
07-27-2013 at 02:45 PM
Jordthro
patmo98 wrote:
Nice job on beating the whole thing without help. Sadly, my record isn't quite perfect. I got stuck on the "Two goblins and two snakes" room on 23.

I was going pretty solid on JtRH until this Slayer room with a bunch of eyes and a spiral of trap doors. I tried everything to minimize my moves, and finally after giving up I consulted the forum thinking it was impossible. As it turns out it WAS impossible and I was triggering the slayer to walk in everytime an eye gazed at me prematurely. Oh, it was terrible! I felt so cheated.

07-27-2013 at 08:12 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD on Mac OS X?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com