Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Prompting about new holds + Crashing when testing
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
lucretia
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
IP: Logged
icon Prompting about new holds + Crashing when testing (0)  
When I create a new player and click build it says "would you like to create a new hold blah blah" and I click yes. It takes me into the editor, doesn't ask anything else about creating a new hold and will let me edit another player's hold.

It doesn't make sense to ask me that if it isn't going to make a new hold. I'm not sure if you guys want it so that other players can edit each other's holds.

[Edited by lucretia on 06-19-2003 at 01:12 PM]

[Edited by lucretia on 06-23-2003 at 11:50 AM]
06-19-2003 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Prompting about new holds (0)  
Thanks for the report. The bug's in the database.

06-19-2003 at 05:00 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I can't reproduce this. What steps did you take to get this to happen?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-21-2003 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lucretia
I'm insanely frustrated because I can't figure this out...sometimes it will do this bug but other times it won't. On one specific new player it is prompting about a new hold and doesn't follow through with the other questions...But about 5 minutes ago I wasn't having this problem.

It's also crashing when I try to test the level. This is build 22. But the problem is that it only does it sometimes. Things that I have done before having it crashed are turning off the music and creating a new player.

What I have noticed though...is that if it does prompt me for a new hold when I am a new player..and then doesn't actually create one by asking me the name and so on, it will NOT crash when I test the room. But if it creates the hold properly for me...it will crash when I test it.

I am sorry that I cannot provide anymore details on this. You are probably a lot more frustrated than I am.
06-23-2003 at 11:50 AM
lucretia
icon Re: Prompting about new holds + Crashing when testing (0)  
Okay I think I know how to reproduce it.

Create a new player or if you have multiple players choose one from the menu when Drod starts up. Go to build. Back to menu. Create a new player. Go to build. It should prompt you for a new build but will not follow up with the other questions. You will also be able to edit the levels of the player that you went to originally. This also stands if you've deleted that player just before creating the new one.

You will not get this bug if you only have one default player that Drod automatically starts up under..and then you create a new player. It will however crash when you try to test under the new player.

If you make a new player when you haven't been under any other player yet, it will crash when you try to test. It will also crash if you restart the game, make any change to your level and try testing or returning to the main building screen.

I hope that made sense and helped some...

[Edited by lucretia on 06-23-2003 at 12:17 PM]

[Edited by lucretia on 06-23-2003 at 12:19 PM]
06-23-2003 at 11:55 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Prompting about new holds + Crashing when testing (0)  
lucretia wrote:
Okay I think I know how to reproduce it.

Create a new player or if you have multiple players choose one from the menu when Drod starts up. Go to build. Back to menu. Create a new player. Go to build. It should prompt you for a new build but will not follow up with the other questions.
Ack! I've tried this and many slight variations without getting the bug.

We did have this same behaviour coming up consistently on some build before 21. I discovered the bug myself, so it's very familiar-sounding. I am wondering if somehow you've got an earlier build. Like maybe the installation didn't work right, or the build 22 files are in an unexpected location.

I'm running a fresh build 22 installation now to make sure I didn't distribute an older set of files....

...no, that's not it.

Okay, now don't let this sound like I'm disrespecting your bug report, because I think probably the bug is still in build 22. But could you run the build 22 full install to a new directory and see if you can reproduce the problem in a fresh build 22 installation? Also, try running build 22 DROD.EXE from the directory you installed to without using the start menu icon. (If you want help with that--just ask.)

This does two things:

1. Makes for certain that you are getting build 22 DROD.EXE. By the way, in build 23, DROD will start saying in the window caption which build you are running, i.e. "DROD BETA BUILD 23 - DO NOT DISTRIBUTE (buggy releases make us look bad)".

2. Determine if a fresh set of data makes the problem go away. If this is the case, our troubleshooting will focus on figuring out what is wrong with your data and how it got that way.

Your other bugs are certainly also worthy of inspection, but I'm going to use this reply to just focus on the first bug.

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lucretia
I had only done an upgrade before. So I just installed the full 22 one and I can still reproduce the bug using those steps.

I couldn't get it to run from a dos prompt. Maybe I'm just stupid though...I was in the correct directory and typed drod.exe...
06-23-2003 at 06:07 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
lucretia wrote:
I couldn't get it to run from a dos prompt. Maybe I'm just stupid though...I was in the correct directory and typed drod.exe...
Oddly enough, try typing
.\\drod.exe
It should work then.
Bug? I don't know why this happens... I noticed it a while ago but forgot to mention it.

06-23-2003 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
lucretia wrote:
I had only done an upgrade before. So I just installed the full 22 one and I can still reproduce the bug using those steps.
I think it's probably still there in build 22, then, unless you are somehow running an older version of DROD than the one you just installed. (See next part.)

There may be some difference in what you and I are doing to reproduce the bug. I will describe in very detailed fashion what I do to follow your steps on my first run after a build 22 complete install. You could tell me if I've got a step wrong, or maybe provide a set of steps with similar detail that begin right after running a build 22 complete install.

Okay, here I go now...
1. Run the full install to get fresh data to begin with. This way I will have the same data that you have after your full install.
2. Install to a new directory "c:\\program files\\drod22test", because I don't want data already in that directory to influence the test.
3. Choose "run..." from start menu, type "c:\\program files\\drod22test\\drod.exe" in the text box and hit "ok".
4. DROD starts and asks if I want to upgrade my previous data. I say "no".
5. I say "no" to the next dialog.
6. For player name I enter "bubba".
7. At the title screen, I push "build", and specify "yes","bubba","bubba","bubba", and "bubba".
8. Choose "Return to game".
9. Choose "Who" from title screen.
10. Choose "new player" and enter "oggo".
11. Choose "oggo" as the current player and hit "okay".
12. Choose "build" and then "yes"

On this step, it sounded like you were getting into the editor screen and seeing bubba's hold without any of the prompts.

However, for me, I get the four hold name/hold desc/level name/level desc prompts and don't see bubba's hold.

I continue the test.

13. Enter "oggo", "oggo", "oggo", "oggo".
14. Choose "return to game" and "quit" to exit DROD.
15. Restart DROD by repeating step 3.
16. At "Who are you?" dialog, choose "new player".
17. Enter "edwardo" and choose him as the current player.
18. At title screen, choose "build". I get asked if I want to make a new hold.
19. Choose "yes", and then...

Still the same four expected prompts and holds of other players are visible.

It is very insteresting to me what happens when you run the above steps. Or if the steps are just wrong, then that's even better.

See step 3 above. No, you aren't stupid. :)

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lucretia
Gah you posted at the same time as me..I'll read what you just wrote.

[Edited by lucretia on 06-23-2003 at 06:34 PM]
06-23-2003 at 06:33 PM
lucretia
After entering bubba (step 7) for hold name, level, etc. click on a room like you would if you were going to edit it. Then escape. Then proceed with making a new player.
06-23-2003 at 06:40 PM
ErikH2000
lucretia wrote:
After entering bubba (step 7) for hold name, level, etc. click on a room like you would if you were going to edit it. Then escape. Then proceed with making a new player.
Man, this one's tough.

Everything works for me like before after adding your step 7b.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next. We might have to work on other bugs (like the others you reported) and hope they are related to the one that causes this error on your computer. In later builds we can check with you again to see if the bug still happens for you.

Is anyone else able to reproduce this error in build 22?

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 07:06 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Prompting about new holds (0)  
lucretia wrote:
What I have noticed though...is that if it does prompt me for a new hold when I am a new player..and then doesn't actually create one by asking me the name and so on, it will NOT crash when I test the room. But if it creates the hold properly for me...it will crash when I test it.
I did see something like this. I follow the same steps for the other bug up to 7, edit the room, and click the room any place to make some edit to it. When I then hit escape, the app crashes.

I'm waiting for SourceForge's CVS to start working again and see if Schik's latest fix for the map crash makes it go away.

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 07:10 PM
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
Yep, I get the same bug and it's not even on a clean install...

1. Create a new player (I call him Fred)
2. Click build. Choose yes, then enter all the info needed.
3. Click Edit Room.
4. Press escape twice
5. Create another new player (I call him Bob)
6. Click build, then yes. DROD goes into the editor screen and displays Fred's hold.

I'm running Win XP Pro. I already had my own player and hold created and the bug still showed up.

"Oook!"
06-23-2003 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Following krammer's step-by-step, I can reproduce this error as well, on the current CVS version - I haven't tried build 22, but I'd guess it happens there too.

And that was with my current data - a couple of players, but no user defined holds.

[Edited by Schik on 06-23-2003 at 07:20 PM]

06-23-2003 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
krammer wrote:
Okay, that's useful.

Schik's mapwidget fix does fix the edit crash. I'm going to put out a build 23 now because I think the two bugs might be related, and generally it is an important fix for functionality that it restores. You can't really edit anything without it.

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 07:22 PM
ErikH2000
krammer wrote:

1. Create a new player (I call him Fred)
2. Click build. Choose yes, then enter all the info needed.
3. Click Edit Room.
4. Press escape twice
5. Create another new player (I call him Bob)
6. Click build, then yes. DROD goes into the editor screen and displays Fred's hold.

I'm running Win XP Pro. I already had my own player and hold created and the bug still showed up.
You know that was about the same thing as I did before with Lucretia, but suddenly I get a repro.

I'll be releasing build 23 pretty quick, which will NOT include a fix for this.

-Erik

06-23-2003 at 07:46 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Prompting about new holds + Crashing when testing
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com