Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Contest: Golbeno's Security System (Create the most difficult one-room hold imaginable)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
IP: Logged
icon Contest: Golbeno's Security System (+5)  
Golbeno, the mayor of Aurifex, has a problem. His stash of greckles has increased to such an extent that his current security system - a lazy guard falling asleep on duty - is far from being sufficient. At first he thought about simply replacing the guard, but that proved to be difficult, since there just weren't any reliable guards in need of a job at the moment. After that he thought about asking the scientists in Mellenfral for help, but decided not to, because if they weren't even able to protect their own city, then how are they supposed to be able to provide protection for his greckles?

Golbeno now turns to the Dungeon Architechts' Association for a solution. If he can find an architect that has the ability and skill to construct a dungeon that even the most talented smitemaster won't be able to complete, then this will surely be a sufficient security system for his dear greckles. Of course, the architect himself would have to be able to know the secret of the hold - otherwise Golbeno won't be able to access his riches ever again.

----------------

This contest is divided into two parts: Creating the holds, and playing them. First, I will describe the rules for building the holds:

1. The hold may only contain one room. (This is going to be an expensive job and Golbeno is very greedy.)
2. The room may not be taken from a hold, it has to be new.
3. You have to be able to solve the room yourself, and your victory demo must be submitted at the same time as your entry. Continue reading for more details on this.
4. The room must be solvable in under 3000 moves.
5. No orb puzzles including more than five orbs are allowed.
6. Rule removed because it was too confusing. Read posts below for more information.
7. You are allowed to make fixes and changes to your hold until the submission deadline ends, but please try to keep the number of updates down to a reasonable level. Submitting a hold that is impossible to complete shouldn't be possible because of rule #3.
8. For now, only one entry per contestant is allowed, but if the participation seems to be very low, I may skip this rule.
9. I will accept submissions until Local Time:02-27-2005 at 01:00 PM. Send your hold to sm84 (ät) mbnet.fi. You should also attach a passworded zipfile containing the victory demo of the hold. When the second part of the contest is over, you should send the password to me, preferably via PM. I will PM you to confirm that I've received your entry.

When the deadline for hold submissions is over, the second part of the contest will begin. I will post all entries on the forum (I may give them anonymous authors, but I haven't decided on that yet) and anyone may start playing the holds to try to solve them. You may use any means necessary to solve the holds. When you manage to complete a hold, export your victory demo and post it on the forum. The deadline for trying to solve the holds is Local Time:03-09-2005 at 01:00 PM.

Rank points will be given after the end of the second part of the contest:
+2 rank points to anyone who submits a valid entry to this contest.
+5 rank points for solving a hold (only the first person who solves it gets the points).
+10 rank points for creating a hold that no-one manages to solve.

------------

I will try to participate in both parts of the contest, or if I'm short of time, only the second part.

As this is my first attempt at running a contest, there's bound to be some problems. I just hope that they aren't that many. Any questions and/or suggestions should be posted in this thread.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:02-19-2005 at 11:39 PM: changed rule #7 and the post description to be more descriptive]

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:02-20-2005 at 01:28 AM: removed rule #6, but please, be reasonable with the checkpoints]

02-18-2005 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Contest: Golbeno's Security System (0)  
When you manage to complete a hold, export your victory demo and post it on the forum. The deadline for trying to solve the holds is 03/09/2005 7:00PM.

Should we zip + password the solutions (possibly with the same password we zipped the solution to our room)? If I post a solution, there's nothing to prevent someone else from copying my solution.

02-18-2005 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
Only the first person to post the solution gets the points.

02-18-2005 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
<smacks head>
Of course... somehow I got it into my head that difficulty would be rated by how many people solve the hold.

02-18-2005 at 10:12 PM
Stefan
Well, it only takes one person to steal enough greckles to make Golbeno a very unhappy man...

02-18-2005 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
On the orb puzzle rule - is it ok to have part of the room be a puzzle with 5 orbs, but have other orbs that control doors that are not involved in the puzzle?

02-18-2005 at 11:29 PM
Stefan
Yes, you may do that. The rule was put in mainly because it is quite easy to make very difficult orb-puzzles (as long as you add enough orbs and doors).

02-19-2005 at 12:01 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
My entry is ready. Sending it tomorrow after having some sleep, trying to find something to change and finally playing through it one more time.
02-19-2005 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Stefan wrote:
6. Checkpoints should be placed in convenient places. Try not to annoy the player needlessly. (I will probably be a bit fuzzy on this, but as a general rule: put checkpoints where needed)
Um...

What would be considered "annoying"? Very difficult, almost unsolvable rooms, tend to rely a lot on some implicit or non-obvious behaviour of monsters or objects.

I can, at the moment, think up some pretty challenging, but unfair ideas for rooms involving monster movement order (just like in "A Quiet Place"), which would be pretty difficult to solve without some element of luck. Such rooms I (and probably quite a few others) would consider very annoying and unpleasant to play, but in light of the sort of contest this is, I wouldn't mind making them, since it would follow the rules, and I'd know the solution anyway.

Would such rooms be acceptable, or are you going to implement some sort of reasonability limit on this contest?

02-19-2005 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
agaricus5 wrote:
What would be considered "annoying"? Very difficult, almost unsolvable rooms, tend to rely a lot on some implicit or non-obvious behaviour of monsters or objects.
Annoying as in "kill-500-monsters-without-having-a-checkpoint-to-restore-to-if-you-screw-up-later" or something like that... The room solution may be as annoying and unfair as you like, just don't annoy the player by omitting checkpoints without reason. Go ahead and exploit monster movement order if you so wish.

This contest was primarily made to allow the architects to use all their little devious tricks that they just don't dare to put in a hold on the holds-board because it seems too unfair or too difficult.

In other words: Try to make the most difficult one-room hold you can imagine.

Hmmm... I may have to extend the playing time if there are a lot of participants. I just don't really want this contest to be completely overrun by the official March contest.

02-19-2005 at 01:08 AM
Stefan
I've changed rule #7 (maybe I'm not that lazy after all...): Now you can make as many updates as you want, but please try not to make too many updates.

02-19-2005 at 11:50 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Stefan wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
Annoying as in "kill-500-monsters-without-having-a-checkpoint-to-restore-to-if-you-screw-up-later" or something like that... The room solution may be as annoying and unfair as you like, just don't annoy the player by omitting checkpoints without reason. Go ahead and exploit monster movement order if you so wish.

So, something that would be classified as annoying would be, say, to have 5 orbs at the start controlling a tar lock at the end, with lots and lots inbetween. That way you have to work through the middle of the level once each time you want to test the next combination.. that would be not allowed?

02-20-2005 at 12:59 AM
Stefan
icon Re: Contest: Golbeno's Security System (+1)  
Well, if you make the room like that, then yes it would be annoying - but not disallowed. I just meant that you should put checkpoints as you normally would and not omit them just because that would make the room harder (like playing the L8 3-mother room without checkpoints).

I think I'm going to remove this rule, as it is seems to cause a lot of confusion. It was never really a strict rule, just sort of a request saying "please put checkpoints as you normally would".

02-20-2005 at 01:22 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I'm in.

02-20-2005 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I'll try to come up with something as well.

02-20-2005 at 11:56 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Having seen what some people are capable of in other holds, I am apprehensive (but in a good way)

I have an idea or two. I should be able to cobber them together into something reasonably terrifying.
02-20-2005 at 12:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Well, I can't say I'm much of an artitect since I can't come up with any good hard rooms.. but hopefully I can come up with a bad hard one :)
02-20-2005 at 09:02 PM
Rabscuttle

File: Golbenos Guard Room.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 147 times.
License: Other
I've added a couple of stern notices to his original room design. I think that they will discourage all but the most determined thieves.
02-23-2005 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Uh, if thats your submission to the contest you shouldn't be putting here.. if its something else, ignore this :)
02-23-2005 at 08:32 AM
Rabscuttle
No, it isn't my submission. It's more of a 'before shot'

Unless we can do multiple submissions, in which case it is a submission. If I can be bothered to do a victory demo.
02-23-2005 at 08:48 AM
Stefan
icon Re: Contest: Golbeno's Security System (+2)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
No, it isn't my submission. It's more of a 'before shot'

Unless we can do multiple submissions, in which case it is a submission. If I can be bothered to do a victory demo.
I was going to ask you to remove it and put it back up after the first part of the contest is over, but then I downloaded it and changed my mind... :)

Regarding multiple submissions... Although I haven't received very many entries yet, the number of expected participants is still higher than I had anticipated, so I'm going to restrict the number of entries per person to one. Besides, allowing more than one entry would be a bit unfair to those who only submits one entry.

02-23-2005 at 12:29 PM
Stefan
There is now negative 998 weeks, 3 days left until the hold submission deadline.

Send your hold to sm84 (ät) mbnet.fi, and remember, a valid entry consists of both the hold AND a passworded zipfile (or passworded rar-/arj-/ace-file) containing a victory-demo for it. If you need help with creating a passworded zipfile, just ask.

02-24-2005 at 11:41 PM
Rabscuttle
Real one submitted.

I hope people find it aggravating and irritating. :D
I hope people don't find any tricks that bypass the puzzles.
02-25-2005 at 05:54 AM
Stefan
Ok, submission time is now over (it was actually over an hour ago, but I blame that on the buggy untiltime-tag). I'll post the entries soon, so that you can start playing.

02-27-2005 at 02:01 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I'll be away for the next three days, so I won't have much of a chance to beat the other entries. But good luck to the rest of you.

02-27-2005 at 02:31 PM
Stefan
Okay, so now the second part of this contest begins!

There are six holds for you to play. You may use any means necessary to solve them. When you've managed to solve a hold, post your victory-demo here on the forum. Also, be sure to add the number of the entry the demo belongs to.

The deadline is Local Time:03-09-2005 at 01:00 PM.

I've made the authors anonymous, so the entry number is shown instead of the name of the architect. I made them anonymous because I decided to make a poll afterwards (sorry for making this decision a bit late).

I will not be entering the second part of the contest myself (contrary to what I said before). Instead, I will play the entries and when the contest is over I'll reveal which of the entries I've managed to solve.

And again, rank points are given only after the contest is over.

Go play!

02-27-2005 at 03:40 PM
Stefan

File: Golbenos Annoying Security System.hold (2 KB)
Downloaded 180 times.
icon Entry #1 (0)  
Entry #1

02-27-2005 at 03:41 PM
Stefan

File: Golbenos.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 167 times.
icon Entry #2 (0)  
Entry #2

02-27-2005 at 03:42 PM
Stefan

File: Security System.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 168 times.
icon Entry #3 (0)  
Entry #3

02-27-2005 at 03:43 PM
Stefan

File: High Security.hold (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 159 times.
icon Entry #4 (0)  
Entry #4

02-27-2005 at 03:44 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Contest: Golbeno's Security System (Create the most difficult one-room hold imaginable)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com