Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Ancient Domains of Mystery
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Ancient Domains of Mystery (0)  
Ancient Domains of Mystery

Totally awesome rogue-like. I mentioned it before somewhere, but not in it's own thread. Anyways, so as not to overwhelm you with the huge amount of details in this game, I'll try to only list the basics.

In the beginning you choose a gender, a race (out of Human, High Elf, Gray Elf, Dark Elf, Orc, Hurthling, Dwarf, Gnome, Drakeling and Troll), a class (out of Archer, Assassin, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Healer, Merchant, Monk, Necromancer, Paladin, Priest, Ranger, Thief, Weaponsmith and Wizard) and some talents. The month you are born is chosen randomly, and gives some different advantages. You may also choose to answer some questions that change the player's attributes. All answers add to your stats as much as they subtract, so no answer is better than the other.

After all this is done, you start out on a road that leads to Terinyo, a small hamlet where you can buy food and get new quests. Chaotic characters might also want to check out Lawenilothehl, an outlaw settlement in the southwest where you can buy miscellaneous stuff at the local black market, train with Yergius the master thief and slay some baddies walking around.

There is a lot of ways to get killed in this game, and you only live once, so you have to be really careful. It takes a lot of effort and determination to win this game without visiting spoiler sites.

The only downside I can think of about this game is that it really is hard to get into. Remember to press '?' to check the keybindings. And even if you get killed all the time it still is really fun to try the different classes.

If you've read through all this... what are you waiting for? Get hooked!

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-10-2005 at 03:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Ancient Domains of Mystery (0)  
Nillo wrote:
The only downside I can think of about this game is that it really is hard to get into.

I think this is the understatement of the year. I've never been able to get into any of the rogue-likes. I think it's the permanent death issue...it just makes those games aggravating instead of fun for me.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-10-2005 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think it's the permanent death issue...it just makes those games aggravating instead of fun for me.
Yeah, that's always when I give up. I can play conservative and it's really boring, or I can take a few risks and combined with some bad luck, end up dead and have to start over completely.

In Eyangband (I think), I'd hit a pit at random and it would drop me down to the next level where monsters were harder to fight, and then just out of bad luck I'd fall through a few more times, so that I'm hopelessly out of my league. Then the too-hard monsters kill me and I have to start all over again.

-Erik

02-10-2005 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
I actually like the permanent deaths of rogue-likes, because every action counts. You can't just go "Hey, what happens if I kill this important guy? I'll save first and look!".

Also, most insta-deaths can be avoided. If you're too frustrated to play again if you step on a corruption trap and mutate into a writhing mass of primal chaos, try playing as a thief or someone else with high perception and the Detect Traps skill. That, or you could stop kicking down locked doors until your character is strong enough to survive an explosion.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-10-2005 at 06:54 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Ancient Domains of Mystery (+1)  
Ah, well, I like saving first and looking. It's a game, I'll take fun factor over realism any day.

And I definitely don't count re-rolling another character as a way to avoid those instant deaths. If a game can't be completed with a certain character...why is it in the game at all? It just leads to frustration in my opinion.

Sorry for posting my negative opinions in your thread...but, well, the game definitely isn't for everyone, even people who love RPGs like me. Just wanted to share how I felt.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-10-2005 at 07:10 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I prefer the good old Nethack with graphical interface. (Those symbols make me quickly very confused...)
Instant deaths are annoying especially if you're doing well with no problems. I've not played ADOM (only tried) but one thing I like in Nethack is that you keep learning new things that help you survive.

For example:
Click here to view the secret text

There must be hundreds of ways to die but you'll learn to avoid many of them.
02-10-2005 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Hey, paws off ADOM, the best roguelike ever!

Seriously, ADOM is a game with so many good features that it rises above all other roguelike games like a colossus. Sure, it takes some time to learn how to survive in the hostile world, and exploit the strengths of your chararacter, but the gameplay is truly awesome. And yes, if you're careless you will die. You will die if you pick a fight with something out of your league. You will die if you don't pack the necessary supplies for a long quest (things like food come to mind) You will die if you do something stupid, like diving into a river armed with the swimming skill of an average rock. And sometimes, you will just die for no apparent reason. I have found about 50 different ways to die in this game, but as you get familiar with the dangers, you become better and better at avoiding them. Sure, the first time you died because a passing goblin sacrificed you to your own God by shouting a prayer, you were surprised. But at least now you know than standing near an altar is more dangerous than it looks. Learn how to survive, when to run away, when to ask a favor from your God (praying got me out of many desperate situations), learn how to become stronger and get new abilities, you will have much fun playing the game once you get into it.

Also, you don't really have to do all the side quests, especially if you are a beginner. More specifically, the little puppy quest requires some serious beginner's luck, and you don't really need it to complete the game. Don't get discouraged, learn the game, you will not regret it.

The permanent death is a good feature in my opinion. The message is "you only have one life - live with it!". The harsher the conditions, the more satisfied I am at my achievements. Also, all character combinations are playable, and all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Don't dismiss a game just because it doesn't have graphics and is hard to learn to play. Remember, the most famous roguelike game with graphics, Diablo, has maybe 5% of ADOM's depth.

02-10-2005 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
I too like Nethack with the graphical interface, the only problems with that being scrolls of genocide. I've tried playing ADOM ,but it was all too confusing. With Nethack, every death teaches something new that should be avoided. ADOM just confused me more. Then again, I guess that would be the same as Nethack in his aspect, if I ever got past the initial confusion.

On the issue of permanent deaths, I think that on the whole they are for the best. Although they are really annoying when you die, they are what make the game suspensful and challenging. I would have long completed Nethack and forgotten about it, but now my best is just level 16 with the mines cleared. And if you really dislike them, Nethack has an explore mode whitch allows to kepp on playing after you have "died", although you logically don't get on the highscore list. And if really want to save, you could just copy your save file, although that will be frowned upon, and,quite rightfully I would say, is considered cheating.
02-10-2005 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Maurog wrote:Remember, the most famous roguelike game with graphics, Diablo, has maybe 5% of ADOM's depth.

Yeah, but that's why it was fun for me. It was simple and mindless. And fun.

Game on,

02-10-2005 at 08:17 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I just can't stand all the keybindings. Is a menu too much to ask for?

The permadeath doesn't worry me so much - it just means you have to be careful, really, really careful - but it's the amount of things ou might need to do in some situation that irritates me.

Actually, you know what? Too much choice too soon irritates me in any game. I'm not familiar with the game world, and so I appreciate it when a game will recognise this and give me a guided tour and gentle prods to the things I may want to see. And then, once I'm familiar with the game, turn me loose and let me go whereever.

Matt

02-10-2005 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, I guess it's not too surprising to learn that I like roguelikes. I think permanent death is a huge part of the fun - it takes some getting used to but then it really adds a lot.

(And Erik, in EyAngband at least, it's possible to turn permanent death off, though then you won't appear in the high-scores).

I'm not a huge fan of ADOM, though, for a reason similar to what Onieromancer mentioned in his last post above. It's too deep - the plot is too detailed, too much stuff to learn. And there's an overall time-limit, which is a big turn-off for me (note the Avernum thread). I prefer the simpler, purer experience of Angband and its variants - put on some equipment, get into a dungeon, kill everything that moves, collect treasure and sell it, rinse and repeat.

02-11-2005 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
The other downside I can think of is that ADOM is not influenced by B0rsuk's dark powers.

I'll show you what dark B0rsuk powers can do to a roguelike when new version of Xenocide comes out. At the moment it's still quite impressive, but has no b0rsukishness in it. And the world is rather small. The game author happens to be same nationality as me and likes my ideas. We'll see. It's a hard SF game.

It already has stuff not possible in ADOM, like translucent doors, time passing when you leave an area, (so if you throw a napalm grenade you can go up and return when it no longer burns) fancy weapons,windows,(you can see and shoot thru but not go thru) many different dungeon-generating algorithms, ....
Or build your own robots and program their behaviour using simple language.
And the keybindings are quite nice.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:02-11-2005 at 08:01 AM]

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-11-2005 at 07:59 AM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
eytanz wrote:
Well, I guess it's not too surprising to learn that I like roguelikes. I think permanent death is a huge part of the fun - it takes some getting used to but then it really adds a lot.

(And Erik, in EyAngband at least, it's possible to turn permanent death off, though then you won't appear in the high-scores).

I'm not a huge fan of ADOM, though, for a reason similar to what Onieromancer mentioned in his last post above. It's too deep - the plot is too detailed, too much stuff to learn. And there's an overall time-limit, which is a big turn-off for me (note the Avernum thread). I prefer the simpler, purer experience of Angband and its variants - put on some equipment, get into a dungeon, kill everything that moves, collect treasure and sell it, rinse and repeat.

Agreed. Half the fun of roguelikes is the permanent death. It makes all your actions feel like they mean something.

I'm actually more of a fan of Nethack than Angband (But I have just started to get into Angband more in the past weeks). I don't like ADOM for the same reason as Eytan though... it's just too bloody complicated. Also, the timelimit does subtract from the overall fun.

I like Nethack because it's a happy medium. It's a bit more complicated than Angband (at least as much as I've seen), but it's not terribly complicated. Also what I like about Nethack is I learn from all my deaths. When I eat a kolbold corpse... hmm... poisonous. Won't try that again. When I meet a floating eye... hmm... froze me. Won't try that again. Sometimes in Angband and ADOM, I don't know what I could've done differently. (This could also be because I haven't played these two games nearly as much as Nethack).

Also, on the subject of Angband, what changes did you make for EyAngband Eytan? I couldn't be bothered to read 6 pages in the changelog, but could you give a general summary of the important things you did? Right now I'm trying to decide which varient of Angband I like best.

EDIT: Forgot about what I was going to say about Oneiromancer's post:
Oneiromancer wrote:
And I definitely don't count re-rolling another character as a way to avoid those instant deaths. If a game can't be completed with a certain character...why is it in the game at all? It just leads to frustration in my opinion.
I don't know about Angband and ADOM, but the chances of this happening in Nethack are extremely slim. You always have some way to win the game. Even if you drop the Amulet of Yendor in a lake, there are multiple ways to get it out. (Freezing the lake and digging it out, teleporting it away, get an amulet of underwater breathing). That's why I love Nethack. There are not very many times I've thought "Hey, that was totally unfair. There was no way I could have avoided that." At least 98% of my deaths in Nethack were caused by my own stupidity. When you first start playing Nethack, it might not seem that way, but once you learn the ropes it's great fun.

-Zmann

[Edited by Zmann at Local Time:02-12-2005 at 03:04 AM]
02-12-2005 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Everyone's saying that ADOM is complicated, I know. But after you've learnt how to play the game, that only adds to the replay value. The more you play it, the more you'll understand and the more fun it'll get.

There's no real timelimit in ADOM. Sure, your character will get corrupted by staying in a dangerous place for too long, but there's various ways to counter corruption. Scrolls of chaos resistance, potions of cure corruption etc.

All characters have their special ways to win the game. The warrior classes are just plain strong and easily survive traps after they've gained some levels. The stealthy classes have high perception and therefore discover most traps before stepping on them. The mage classes are a bit hard in the beginning, but they get very powerful offensive spells around midgame.

So... if you're looking for mindless killing games, this is'nt it. That's what Progress Quest is for. Otherwise, give this game a chance.

02-12-2005 at 01:29 PM
eytanz
Zmann wrote:
Also, on the subject of Angband, what changes did you make for EyAngband Eytan? I couldn't be bothered to read 6 pages in the changelog, but could you give a general summary of the important things you did? Right now I'm trying to decide which varient of Angband I like best.

Oh, there's a lot of stuff. I have few big dramatic changes; most of my changes were about balancing the game and improving the interface rather than radically changing the game.

I think the biggest change is the new combat system, which makes weapon choice a more significant aspect of the game. Then there's the quest system, percentile resistances, simpler character stats, a lot of new monsters, new races and classes, variable power magic (when you cast a bolt spell, you can choose different strengths to cast it at, at least if you are a mage), and dozens of other changges.

Note that I'll be releasing a new (and final) version of EyAngband in a short time. After that, I'm starting work on a new variant, though this is a really long term project.

02-12-2005 at 08:24 PM
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
Just to give Nillo some backup, I am quite an ADOM fan. I've beaten it twice, so it is possible. The first time I did was possibly my Greatest Gaming Moment Ever.

Feel free to ask for advice. I would suggest that beginners try a Human Barbarian first, because you get a very nice starting weapon and Food Preservation (which lets you keep food longer).
02-14-2005 at 04:20 AM
b0rsuk
jdyer wrote:
Just to give Nillo some backup, I am quite an ADOM fan. I've beaten it twice, so it is possible. The first time I did was possibly my Greatest Gaming Moment Ever.

Feel free to ask for advice. I would suggest that beginners try a Human Barbarian first, because you get a very nice starting weapon and Food Preservation (which lets you keep food longer).

You'll have harder times later, but I guess beginning is what matters for beginners.

My first time was with human or dark elf bard, can't remember which.

Then it was drakeling mindcrafter.

There were some others, but not more than 5 total.

02-14-2005 at 09:02 AM
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
b0rsuk wrote:
jdyer wrote:

You'll have harder times later, but I guess beginning is what matters for beginners.

Well, not *that* hard. I've beaten the game before with the Human Barbarian and it was cake. (Well, relatively speaking. Nothing in ADOM is easy-easy.)

I'd probably play someone different for an Ultimate ending, but if you're thinking about that, you're not looking for beginner suggestions.
02-14-2005 at 07:33 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I really like Troll Farmers... they get a bunch of really good survival skills, Cooking and Food Preservation make it easier to fill that enormous trollish stomach, and they can carry lots of stuff on their shoulders. What else can an adventurer ask for?

02-14-2005 at 08:51 PM
b0rsuk
I mean, for Barbarians and monks and stuff there's lots of enemies you don't want to touch. Karmic lizards, ochre jellies and so on. Ghosts ! Argh. And you have to be very careful about doors, which act very stupid in ADOM (traps). You are quite dependant on items, if you lose your hard-earned megasword you're in big trouble. Spellcasters and high level mindcrafters need few items.

Mindcrafters kinda disappointed me. Very hard to play till level18, then moderate, and after you get greatest telekinesis it's simply carnage.

I should try playing thief. I won as both caster(kinda) and warrior, could it be done with stealth, too ?

By the way, I really like drakelings. Acid spit helps weak characters like mindcrafters, they're pretty tough and heal at nice rate, hunger not so high as troll, and much smarter than trolls. (faster levels).
The tower is a pain for some classes, but if you pass the tower..

I tried Gnomish Barbarian a couple of times. Quite a challange.

[Edited by b0rsuk at Local Time:02-15-2005 at 04:48 PM]

02-15-2005 at 04:45 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, this weekend I decided to try EyAngband once again. It turned out that I had a few characters saved from the last time I tried it, so I loaded one up, who turned out to be a Barbarian of some kind. I was level 6 already too. Anyway, I went through the dungeon, killing things and whatnot, and it wasn't too bad. I finished the quest I happened to have, and completely mapped the level, and decided to go back up. Well, not being used to the interface, even after looking at the help files, I went down instead of up. I quickly returned up but...the map was different! Argh!

Now, I know I could have survived the floor easily, until I found an up staircase. But it was just frustrating to me, who is very much used to CRPGs where the layout, even if it is random, stays the same from game to game. Games like Diablo (1 and 2), Dungeon Hack, Champions of Norrath (PS2)...all of them are essentially Rogue-likes, and in the single-player versions, when you start a game, the map for a certain level is the same every time you visit it. In some of them, the monsters don't even respawn. I like random dungeons, and I especially like exploring and uncovering the map--in any RPG where there's an automap to uncover, I am in every single nook and cranny until it's revealed. It sucked to have that cruelly rips away from me by a confusing set of staircases, or whatever the device was.

So, yeah...for what it's worth, I was able to have some fun...but it just didn't match one of the most important things I look for in a randomly-generated dungeon hack. Probably because I started too late in their history. If there are any rogue-likes that have persistent dungeons, I'll be happy to try them too. Or if Eytan was ever thinking about making it an option, I'd definitely be on the bandwagon. ;)

Game on,

03-08-2005 at 02:25 AM
eytanz
Neither EyAngband, nor my next Roguelike (tentatively called Nexus), will ever feature persistent dungeons. Persistent dungeons are great for CRPGs, but don't belong in RLs as far as I am concerned. I know this loses me potential players, but sticking to my vision is more important to me than attracting a crowd.

Also, EyAngband would be totally unbalanced in persistent dungeons. The player wouldn't stand a chance. The current game is designed under the assumption that the player can stay on a single level of difficulty for a while before moving deeper if necessary.

Finally, a barbarian? EyAngband doesn't have barbarians...

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:03-08-2005 at 02:34 AM]

03-08-2005 at 02:32 AM
eytanz
As for RLs that do have a persistent dungeon - NetHack does, I believe, and Troubles of Middle Earth (ToME), originally an Angband variant but now pretty much an indepedent entity, has them as an option.

03-08-2005 at 02:35 AM
Oneiromancer
eytanz wrote:
Neither EyAngband, nor my next Roguelike (tentatively called Nexus), will ever feature persistent dungeons. Persistent dungeons are great for CRPGs, but don't belong in RLs as far as I am concerned. I know this loses me potential players, but sticking to my vision is more important to me than attracting a crowd.

Well, I wasn't really serious. I was more interested in what you answered later.

Also, EyAngband would be totally unbalanced in persistent dungeons. The player wouldn't stand a chance. The current game is designed under the assumption that the player can stay on a single level of difficulty for a while before moving deeper if necessary.

Well, there's no reason why monsters can't respawn over time...just have the same map. But it's a moot point.

Finally, a barbarian? EyAngband doesn't have barbarians...

What, I didn't enjoy it, you expect me to remember everything? ;) I just checked, it was a Soldier instead. I guess I was thinking of something else when I posted Barbarian.

As for RLs that do have a persistent dungeon - NetHack does, I believe, and Troubles of Middle Earth (ToME), originally an Angband variant but now pretty much an indepedent entity, has them as an option.

Thanks, that's really what my main question was, not really trying to get you to change your game around. I do remember trying NetHack, and I don't remember that at all...but I might not have played long enough to notice it if I didn't enjoy it. I don't remember trying ToME though, maybe I will.

Game on,

03-08-2005 at 02:50 AM
eytanz
Oneiromancer wrote:
eytanz wrote:

Well, there's no reason why monsters can't respawn over time...just have the same map. But it's a moot point.

Monsters do regenerate, but monsters aren't that important. Vaults and the like are more important - places to find items more powerful than the norm for that level. Vaults, by their very nature, can't be regenerated.

Also, persistent dungeons in a RL are like a raygun in DROD. They just don't belong.

03-08-2005 at 03:40 AM
Oneiromancer
eytanz wrote:
Also, persistent dungeons in a RL are like a raygun in DROD. They just don't belong.

Hmm, well, I disagree with you if your definition of "Roguelike" includes modern games that really have their roots here, like Diablo as I mentioned. If your definition is only for these less graphically intensive and more turn-based games, then yes, I can see more where you are coming from.

However, I still think there is a place for them. At heart, to me, they are role-playing games, and one of the most immersive things about a role-playing game is that the locations you go to become familiar to you. Even in a RL game, you could pass by a room and think to yourself, "Ah, I remember the battle I fought there...I barely made it through alive! Good thing I had that potion of healing...ah yes, it dropped over here! Good times!" Or maybe I'm the only one that would do something like that.

Anyway, I think the raygun analogy isn't apt. I'm not wanting a pet robot to follow me around and let me sell things to him and repair my items, or something that breaks the mood like that. I'd liken it more to the constant clamoring for Sokoban-type puzzles in DROD...it's something that seems like it could fit, what with turn-based movement on squares and a puzzle game...but for various reasons, it just isn't what we want in DROD. But there will always be people who think it would fit perfectly.

So, consider me shot down. Traditional Roguelikes will continue to be the way people like them...and I'll continue to not be one of them. ;)

Game on,

03-08-2005 at 08:02 AM
Nillo
To try to get this on topic again, ADOM has mostly persistent dungeons. There's only one dungeon that changes when you come back, and it's called the "Infinite Dungeon".

03-08-2005 at 12:29 PM
eytanz
Oneiromancer wrote:
eytanz wrote:

Hmm, well, I disagree with you if your definition of "Roguelike" includes modern games that really have their roots here, like Diablo as I mentioned. If your definition is only for these less graphically intensive and more turn-based games, then yes, I can see more where you are coming from.

I don't include Diablo as a roguelike - it shares some important aspects but misses others (and no, it's not the graphics that mainly set it apart in my opinion. It's the point-and-click interface).

Seriously, though, I've been expressing my opinion but your is just as valid as mine, and there are plenty of people making what I would consider genuine RLs that agree with you.

The main problem with persistent dungeons, unlike non-permanent death for instance, is that it's very difficult to implement it as an option because it has far-reaching balance implications, not to mention that it's a big data-storage issue. It's basically something you need to make as a design decision and stick with it.

Oh, and I agree that the sokoban analogy makes more sense than the raygun...

03-08-2005 at 01:46 PM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
I'd like to interject that Nethack has one big consistant dungeon, and just happens to be my favorite rougelike.
03-08-2005 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
icon Dungeon persistence design decisions (+2)  
So, academically... (correct me if I'm wrong, and excuse me for butting in and if the following seems banal) there are several layers of "dungeon persistence" in practice:

* randomly generated levels that change each time they're entered (Rogue).
* randomly generated levels that persist for the course of the game (NetHack).
- to do this, each saved game ends up being roughly the size of the dungeon spec itself, although certain optimizations can be implemented, like: only save the parts of the dungeon your player has actually explored in the saved game file; other areas will be loaded fresh the first time they are entered.
* hand-crafted levels with quasi-persistent state (RPGs/adventures like Zelda, Final Fantasy, Metroid, DROD). Hand-crafted dungeon areas that reset each time you (re)enter them, but some effects are retained (e.g. opened chests stay opened, main power-ups are only collected once, conquered rooms remain conquered, bosses stay beaten). Memory for a saved game is only for the set of global flags that track these states, and possibly for the room in progress.
* hand-crafted levels with fully persistant state for the entire game (hmm...I'm guessing certain D&D-based games, like the Baldur's Gate series) keep track of this much state). Saved game size issues are equivalent to those of randomly-generated persistent dungeons.
* hybrids: Randomly generated levels are interspersed with some hand-made levels (Diablo, Kroz, Dark Cloud).

Observe the persistence issue largely requires allowing multiple reentry into each area and is independent of how dungeon areas are generated, per se. That is, with linear games, state usually doesn't persist in exited areas because you can't go back to them.

Now, the issue of which of these level design models makes for good game play is, imo, more subtle than it seems at first. Some believe that playing a game with random dungeons means increased game play, i.e., you always have "new areas" to explore, as opposed to a static set of hand-crafted levels that will hold no surprises once you've explored them thoroughly the first time. However, I contend that the former gives no more "exploration play time" than the latter. Once you've seen the type of levels that are possible, then you will always expect that type and are not hoping for anything new, regardless of how extremely the rooms are shifted around each time. I argue that, in fact, it's not the randomly-generated rooms that get people interested in this type of level design, but the wide range of seemingly random events that can occur in each room. On exiting a level, no one ever says, "Wow, the way those rooms went together was just amazing!" Instead, the player remarks, "The monster zoo was quite a challenge!" or "I really liked that potion I found!"

I think the most successful games have found a way to combine the strengths of hand-crafted levels with random events. Levels made by people (usually) have stronger and more elegant game play. Imagine a reverse case -- randomly-generated DROD rooms, with some roaches and walls in this room, and some wraithwings and pits in the next room, and some puddles of tar in the third room. It would devolve into pure hack-and-slash, with some unsolvable rooms, not being fun at all. A seemingly limitless range of possible encounters and item/treasure types retains a player's interest. As new event types are encountered, with the sequence with which the player experiences them being different each time, the player feels they are still discovering the game. Providing the player the option of selecting from different player behaviors (i.e. character classes) expands gameplay still more.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-08-2005 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Ancient Domains of Mystery
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com