Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Grand Audition. (Our contest for February.) This topic has been locked
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The Grand Audition. (+4)  
Obviously, we are in need of a contest for February. Less obviously, unless you happen to be me, Mike Rimer, or Todd Downing, we are in need of someone to supply the voice of a major character in DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold. So I had a genius idea! I mean it took me twenty minutes to finish congratulating myself for it.

I will hold an audition for the part, and the audition itself will be the February contest.

I'm not going to tell you a terrible amount about this character because it might spoil some portion of the story for you, but a little bit of info should be okay:

* This character is in command of things--he's a powerful guy.
* He isn't human.
* He has a funny way of talking shared by others of his kind.
* He's definitely the type to hold a grudge or lose his temper.

Here are three of his lines from different points in the game:

"Ha, ha, ha! Yez yez, I liked to tire you some just for jokes. Now we gonna kill you up good. Cuz I hates you sooo deep, Budkin! I hates you deep as pits!"

"Butcher, you likes your meat. Kills us, drags us up, chops and seasons. Feeds us to your friends!"

"Think it out! You don't pay? We give your little man a toothing. Thinks you got no money, but I know where's greckles for finding."

Rules

1. Record one of the above lines using your best voice and stick to the same wording. You don't have to literally say "ha ha ha!" however--any kind of laugh is fine.
2. You can edit and process the recording if you want, but only to improve the sound quality--not to add special effects or alter how your voice sounds.
3. Get the recording into a WAV, OGG, or MP3 file. I recommend using settings of 16bit, 44.1khz, mono, but that isn't a requirement. If you chose the WAV format, put your WAV file into a ZIP or RAR archive.
4. Post your recording in reply to this topic. Make the subject of your message the number of your entry, instead of "Re: The Grand Audition". So for example if you are posting the third entry so far, make you subject be "#3". This will be used later for the poll to reference your entry.
5. Each post you make counts as a separate entry. You can make as many entries as you like up until the Entry Cutoff Time Local Time:02-21-2005 at 12:00 AM which is negative 999 weeks, 1 day from now. You can delete and update attachments on your posts. Basically, whatever posts you have with attached recordings at Entry Cutoff Time will be your official entries. So don't say "Oh, I screwed up on that old recording, don't pay attention to it. Here is the new one!" Just make sure at Entry Cutoff Time that you only have attachments here for recordings you want to enter.
6. Soon after the Entry Cutoff Time, we will have a poll asking everyone to rate how well they liked each entry. The contestant with the highest rating for a single entry will be the first place winner, and 2nd and 3rd go to the next highest. Contestants with multiple entries can only win the highest possible prize and not sweep 2nd or 3rd prizes.

Aftermath

It's a little different this time, so pay attention!

First place winner gets 100 rank points and any item of his choosing from the new Prize Pile. Second and third place winners get 50 and 25 rank points, respectively. A rookie bonus of 10 points is given to anybody who submits a recording for the contest and has never participated in a previous contest.

As I mentioned previously, we need to find someone to help us record speech for JtRH. You don't have to be interested in this to enter the contest. After we hear the different recordings, we'll get a good idea of who has a good voice and acting talent for the part, and we'll ask that person if he'd like to record a little bit of dialogue. And if that person isn't interested, then we might ask another person, and so on. So the winner of the contest is not necessarily the same person we'd end up working with.

Doubts

A lot of people think their voices sound terrible when actually they aren't so bad. Everyone hates to hear their own voice played back--that is pretty much universal. So don't be horribly biased against yourself. Play with different styles and find the one that best suits you. Remember that you can submit multiple entries and try different things, i.e. raspy, nasal, cajun accent, etc. Have fun! Get loose and silly! Don't take it too seriously.

As for your recording environment, most of us are hopelessly far from a professional setup. Do the best you can. Find the right distance from the microphone. Watch your P's (pops) and S's (sibilance). I will ask voters to discount audio quality from their choices, but it might still be something you want to spend some time on. Ask on the forum for a little help from audio experts if you want to try improving the quality of your recording. Also if we end up recording with you for JtRH, we might send you a better microphone.

The First Eight

The first person to submit a recording gets 8 rank points for being so gutsy. Second person gets 7 rank points, third gets 6 and so on. We don't have time for shy people. Get out there and audition!

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:02-08-2005 at 12:30 AM]

02-07-2005 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The Grand Audition. (0)  
That guy talks a bit like Smeagol. Don't you think?
I might try something if I can get my friend borrow me a mic.

I've recorded speech once earlier. That was with my friend for a small Warcraft 3 map. (pure testing) Oh boy, that was Sooooo fun :D

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:02-08-2005 at 06:35 AM]
02-07-2005 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Are we allowed to use EAX to add effects to the sounds we record at all, or is it all about what we can vocalize ourselves?

02-07-2005 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
ErikH2000
Doom wrote:
That guy talks a bit like Smeagol. Don't you think?
Jeebus, I try to avoid DROD and the Eighth being like LoTR, but still my guy ends up sounding like golem. Bleh! :)
I might try something if I can get my friend borrow me a mic.
Good deal!

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 10:56 PM
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
icon Re: The Grand Audition. (+2)  
Great idea for the contest, Erik! I'll record some lines tomorrow (probably) - schoolwork is seriously piling up right now, so I might not get it in for a little while. To those who'd be interested in tweaking their recording slightly to remove those Ps and Ss, I'd heartily recommend Audacity - it's a free recorder/editor. The basics of it are pretty user-friendly, despite its open-source nature - I normally use it to mix sounds together for plays.

By the way - a couple questions:

1) Is the guy intended to be a slightly comic figure, as the lines seem to indicate?

2) Will the winner get a place in the credits? (I'm sad, I know, but just asking...)

3) If the winner's good enough, will (s)he have a chance at a speaking part in successive official dungeons?

Again, great contest! :thumbsup

02-07-2005 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
ErikH2000
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Are we allowed to use EAX to add effects to the sounds we record at all, or is it all about what we can vocalize ourselves?
Good question!

For the purpose of the contest, I would like to equalize participants somewhat so that somebody who isn't set up with the software and skills to pitch-shift, add echoes/distortion, etc. can still make a competitive entry. Official entries should be unprocessed audio, other than maybe some volume adjustment and noise reduction if you want to do that.

However, it is still very interesting to hear what people can do with some processing. So I would encourage you to make these kinds of samples, but post them in a separate topic so they aren't confused with contest entries.

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 11:02 PM
gamer_extreme_101

File: Gamer - Entry 1.zip (1.2 MB)
Downloaded 104 times.
License: Other
icon Entry #1 - Line #1 (+8)  
Well, I had a couple minutes of free time, so hey! Why not break the ice. While doing this, I discovered two things:

-I pronounce the word "pits" like "picks"
-I pronounce the word "jokes" as "jotes"

Needless to say, I'll be putting in at least another entry. Heck, audio editing is good fun, as I learned in June 2004's contest. (Ugh, nightmares. Seriously, I can sing better than that now. Honest!)

Edit: Forgot subject line.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:02-07-2005 at 11:13 PM]

02-07-2005 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352

File: Russian.ogg (86.8 KB)
Downloaded 181 times.
icon Grand audition thingy. #2 (+7)  
Look at my range!

Me, confused: :?

Me, laughing: :lol

Me, as a knight: :medieval

I'm obviously the best choice. :)

Here is my first entry!

"Think it out! You don't pay? We give your little man a toothing. Thinks you got no money, but I know where's greckles for finding."

Russian style, as far as I can do an impression. I will release a mroe serious one later, after I've had some sleep...

[Edited by wackhead_uk at Local Time:02-08-2005 at 06:12 PM]
02-07-2005 at 11:12 PM
ErikH2000
Fafnir wrote:
Great idea for the contest, Erik! I'll record some lines tomorrow (probably) - schoolwork is seriously piling up right now, so I might not get it in for a little while. To those who'd be interested in tweaking their recording slightly to remove those Ps and Ss, I'd heartily recommend Audacity - it's a free recorder/editor. The basics of it are pretty user-friendly, despite its open-source nature - I normally use it to mix sounds together for plays.
Ah, thanks for the recommendation. Maybe a nice side effect of this contest is some people will learn a few things about audio editing from participating.
1) Is the guy intended to be a slightly comic figure, as the lines seem to indicate?
I'm not going to say too much about what is wanted for the character's voice. Let's keep it open! Remember that you can record more than one interpretation and make redundant entries. Since each entry is rated separately, making multiple entries shouldn't hurt your chances.
2) Will the winner get a place in the credits? (I'm sad, I know, but just asking...)
I want to be clear about this: the contest winner is not automatically chosen for the part in JtRH. We are just going to look at people's work from contest entries and make a separate decision. Also it is possible that the first person we'd ask isn't really interested in contributing their time to JtRH--no problem! And finally, whoever ends up recording JtRH speech would definitely be credited.
3) If the winner's good enough, will (s)he have a chance at a speaking part in successive official dungeons?
It's definitely possible that any of the contest participants, winners or not, are people we work with on future projects. A reason for holding this contest is to give DROD fans a chance to show what they can do.

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 11:12 PM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348

File: Tryerd.ogg (799.4 KB)
Downloaded 128 times.
icon #3 (+6)  
What a cool contest!

Man, I am going to do homework now (Russian, ironically), but I am so going to try to have fun with this. Later. When I have time, and when the hallways are empty.

Ah, what the heck. Here's a possible entry, just in case I forget. I would say it's sort of mad scientisty, but not really. It is just me speaking in a silly voice through a pair of headphones plugged into the microphone jack. Quote #1.

[Edited by Abbyzzmal at Local Time:02-08-2005 at 12:14 AM: Subject as per contest rules]
02-07-2005 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
ErikH2000
Wackhead and Abyzzmal, thanks very much for the entries, and please change your subjects to "#1" and "#2". Anyone is welcome to comment on entries, but I'm not going to say what I think about them, except that I definitely appreciate having them here!

-Erik

02-08-2005 at 12:02 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Shouldn't that be #2 and #3? I think you're overlooking Patrick's entry.

[Edited by AlefBet at Local Time:02-08-2005 at 12:08 AM]

++Adam H. Peterson
02-08-2005 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
ErikH2000
AlefBet wrote:
Shouldn't that be #2 and #3? I think you're overlooking Patrick's entry.
Ah, exactly right. I had missed Patrick's.

-Erik

02-08-2005 at 12:11 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
This is a great contest now I just have to work up the courage

What is a .ogg extention? :blush

I could play the wave but found nothing for .ogg do I change it and if so to what?

02-08-2005 at 12:22 AM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: The Grand Audition. (+1)  
OGG is, essentially, an open-source equivalent of MP3. Most newer players such as Winamp can play the file fine and dandy. If you still aren't able to play it, look into dB Poweramp's Music Converter with a OGG codec. What the program will do with the codec installed is convert the OGG file into either a WAV or MP3, making it much easier to handle. :)

02-08-2005 at 12:25 AM
Abbyzzmal

File: pixie.mp3 (137.5 KB)
Downloaded 140 times.
icon #4 (0)  
I can't stop thinking about this contest!

Ogg is a format for encoding audio files that sounds better than mp3 for a file the same size. However, since it is not as standard, all my future entries will be in mp3. Consideration!

Anyway, cute cute cute! (Quote #2)
02-08-2005 at 12:28 AM
Abbyzzmal

File: Breathless.mp3 (271.4 KB)
Downloaded 149 times.
icon #5 (0)  
And quote #3 so that I have a foot on each base.

This is coming off an anger so great that the character can no longer breathe.

Okay, now I will wait a while before updating, as I said I would earlier. Still, awesome contest.
02-08-2005 at 12:34 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854

File: entry6.WAV (224.6 KB)
Downloaded 138 times.
icon #6 (+5)  
Whell here is a try at it :lol

[Edited by techant at Local Time:02-11-2005 at 12:01 AM: change from zip to wav, so that forum members can avoid downloading.]

[Edited by techant at Local Time:02-11-2005 at 12:05 AM]

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:02-18-2005 at 07:35 PM: Entry #]

02-08-2005 at 12:40 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182

File: Deep as pits.zip (239.8 KB)
Downloaded 141 times.
icon Not a valid entry. (+4)  
ok, here goes...

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:02-23-2005 at 06:45 PM]

02-08-2005 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
stigant

File: Butcher.zip (222.4 KB)
Downloaded 129 times.
icon Not a valid entry. (0)  
line 2

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:02-23-2005 at 06:45 PM]

02-08-2005 at 12:57 AM
stigant

File: Greckles.zip (109.2 KB)
Downloaded 140 times.
And line 3.

02-08-2005 at 12:59 AM
ErikH2000
Techant, can you edit your post and change the subject to "#6"? This will help me later when I create the poll and it references individual recording.

Stigant, I'm going to be presumptious and guess that you are using some processing to get your voice that low. ;) Unfortunately, you can't submit an entry that has an altered recording like that.

-Erik

02-08-2005 at 01:11 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181

File: dimono-1.ogg (116.3 KB)
Downloaded 137 times.
icon Entry #9 (1 for me) - Line #2 (+3)  
Audition #1

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:02-08-2005 at 01:34 AM: Fixed subject]

02-08-2005 at 01:19 AM
DiMono

File: dimono-2.ogg (114 KB)
Downloaded 127 times.
icon Entry #10 (2 for me) - Line #3 (0)  
Audition 2 - airy, raspy kind of voice

02-08-2005 at 01:23 AM
DiMono

File: dimono-3.ogg (138.8 KB)
Downloaded 126 times.
icon Entry #11 (3 for me) - Line #1 (0)  
And the pinched nasal passage entry... I'm loving this contest. So tempting to do one as Yoda...

02-08-2005 at 01:26 AM
DiMono

File: dimono-4.ogg (93.8 KB)
Downloaded 127 times.
icon Entry #12 (4 for me) - Line #2 (0)  
The curiously suave black man entry

[Edited by DiMono at Local Time:02-08-2005 at 01:35 AM: Fixed subject]

02-08-2005 at 01:29 AM
stigant
ErikH2000 wrote:
Stigant, I'm going to be presumptious and guess that you are using some processing to get your voice that low. ;) Unfortunately, you can't submit an entry that has an altered recording like that.

Well, I was just using the sound recorder that comes with windows, and just hit the "slow down" feature which 1/2s the speed (in other words, something anybody entering the contest would have easy access to). But I'll redo the first two.

02-08-2005 at 01:29 AM
DiMono

File: dimono-5.ogg (73.6 KB)
Downloaded 142 times.
icon Not a valid entry. (0)  
This has some funky noise removal artifacts in it. I think it sounds interesting, and I'll assume that since it's an error made by Audacity it's okay, but if you say otherwise then I'll replace it with something else.

[Edited by ErikH2000 at Local Time:02-23-2005 at 06:47 PM]

02-08-2005 at 01:38 AM
DiMono

File: dimono-6.ogg (152.4 KB)
Downloaded 136 times.
icon Entry #14 (6 for me) - Line #3 (0)  
I couldn't resist. Here's Yoda.

...And I'm done for the day, you don't have to worry about me monopolizing sixty posts in a row.

02-08-2005 at 01:41 AM
ErikH2000
stigant wrote:
Well, I was just using the sound recorder that comes with windows, and just hit the "slow down" feature which 1/2s the speed (in other words, something anybody entering the contest would have easy access to). But I'll redo the first two.
Thanks, Stigant! Despite the ease in finding a recorder with this feature, I think it is best to keep a consistent policy.

-Erik

02-08-2005 at 02:35 AM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Grand Audition. (Our contest for February.) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com