Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Auto-upgrade-thingy
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
IP: Logged
icon Auto-upgrade-thingy (0)  
That thing that nags you to get your data from the old version when you start up the game continues to appear every time, even if you tell it not to appear again.

06-17-2003 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Auto-upgrade-thingy (0)  
It'll be fixed in build 20.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-17-2003 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Now it doesn't even ask...

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-18-2003 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Did you install it into the same directory as before, or into a new directory?

06-18-2003 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
I got the same problem: I upgraded into the same directory, and lost my data. I can't import my player data manually either, as the info is saved in the file "player.dat" (I think), but DROD looks for "*.player" files.

06-18-2003 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
OK... Don't say anything...

It's an unusual method, but I didn't want to lose my data completely, so I used a program called "Norton UnErase Wizard" to recover the player, text and data files I had from the older build (Thanks, Erik, for making the installer delete them, rather than overwrite them). However, I'm a little worried about whether to replace them yet or not - where are the code changes stored? In the program, or in DROD1_6.dat? And will replacing them by copying them over the new files cause DROD to crash or not when I run it?

06-18-2003 at 08:39 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Auto-upgrade-thingy (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Now it doesn't even ask...
Did you run full install or the upgrade executable? The upgrade won't reset things to make it ask.

-Erik

06-18-2003 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
OK... Don't say anything...

It's an unusual method, but I didn't want to lose my data completely, so I used a program called "Norton UnErase Wizard" to recover the player, text and data files I had from the older build (Thanks, Erik, for making the installer delete them, rather than overwrite them). However, I'm a little worried about whether to replace them yet or not - where are the code changes stored? In the program, or in DROD1_6.dat? And will replacing them by copying them over the new files cause DROD to crash or not when I run it?
The upgrade needs to overwrite the .dat files, otherwise build 20 won't work correctly.

I forgot that the upgrade overwites .dats and I should have told everyone. It is hard to put these builds together without forgetting something.

Wesley, you might try this:
1. Use your Norton unerase to get a build 19 copy of the .dat files.
2. Make a separate build 19 installation.
3. Copy all of your .dat files into the data directory of build 19.
4. Run build 19 installation to verify your data is present.
5. Export files (player and holds) using the build 19 installation.
6. Import same files using the build 20 installation.

Please, see my comments in "Changes for build 20" post about setting up two installations.

-Erik

06-18-2003 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
I only have build 16 and the upgrade to build 19 - Is this fine?

06-18-2003 at 08:51 PM
agaricus5
icon Re: Re: Re: Auto-upgrade-thingy (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
The upgrade needs to overwrite the .dat files, otherwise build 20 won't work correctly.
Aah...

I was copying my .dats around in the previous builds - maybe that was what was causing the crashes...

06-18-2003 at 08:53 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: Re: Auto-upgrade-thingy (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Did you run full install or the upgrade executable? The upgrade won't reset things to make it ask.

I ran the upgrade, sorry I forgot to say. I guess I will go to Sourceforge and get the full install so I can get my old files. No biggie.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-18-2003 at 08:59 PM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
I only have build 16 and the upgrade to build 19 - Is this fine?
Yes, although it will not always be the case that the upgrade installer can upgrade over more than one build. Read the message I post with each build (i.e. "Build 20 Changes", "Build 21 Changes", etc. ) to learn if its okay to skip an upgrade build.

-Erik

06-18-2003 at 09:10 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Incase it helps... I used the full install for build 19 (just got it) and installed it into a new directory (not my regular DROD one, that one's called "DROD" and this one is called "DRODbeta").

06-18-2003 at 10:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Auto-upgrade-thingy
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No