Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Mini Scavenger Hunt
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Mini Scavenger Hunt (+5)  
Just 3 things to find in KDD, because I can't think of any more that haven't already been scavenged.

PM me with your answers and I will give some fabulous* prizes** to the first three people to get them right by Sunday-ish.

1. Find the room(s) with the least number of winnable starting positions. (by position, I mean Beethro's square and sword orientation when you enter the room, and by winnable I mean get rid of all the monsters and then leave the room.)

2. Every room has a minimum number of times that it must be entered. For example, L1:1N must be entered at least twice, L2:2N cannot be entered less than three times. Which room(s) require the most entries? (note: You are not allowed to skip rooms by warping)

3. If you step on a certain checkpoint, you will not be able to complete the room. Which room is this curs-ed checkpoint in?

--

* rank
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Mini Scavenger Hunt (0)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
3. If you step on a certain checkpoint, you will not be able to complete the room. Which room is this curs-ed checkpoint in?
This is very unclear. When do you step on the checkpoint? I think any room that you killed the monsters already you can get to the checkpoint and get out. Or does it mean before you "make a first move" like opening the door that you can get to them? Or after you opened the "door" ?

02-03-2005 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Mini Scavenger Hunt (+1)  
rowrow wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
This is very unclear. When do you step on the checkpoint? I think any room that you killed the monsters already you can get to the checkpoint and get out. Or does it mean before you "make a first move" like opening the door that you can get to them? Or after you opened the "door" ?
I think it's perfectly clear. It says: If you step on the checkpoint, you will not be able to complete the room

You must be able to complete the room from a certain entrance. But IF you step on the checkpoint before killing all monsters, It's impossible to kill all of them and exit the room.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:02-03-2005 at 05:01 PM: Serious rephrasing]
02-03-2005 at 03:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
If you start the level, does entrance count as a room for #2? Also, do you count entrances as starting positions in #1?
02-03-2005 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Doom wrote:
rowrow wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
I think it's perfectly clear. It says: If you step on the checkpoint, you will not be able to complete the room

You must be able to complete the room from a certain entrance. But IF you step on the checkpoint before killing all monsters, It's impossible to kill all of them and exit the room.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:02-03-2005 at 05:01 PM: Serious rephrasing]

Correct.

If you start the level, does entrance count as a room for #2?

Yes. Maybe I should rephrase that as number of times you visit the room. e.g. L2 Entrance must be visited at least 3 times.

Also, do you count entrances as starting positions in #1?

The Level Start position counts as long as there are monsters in the Entrance room.

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:02-04-2005 at 12:11 AM]
02-04-2005 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
I know #3. The other ones are harder though.

02-04-2005 at 12:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
For number 3, there is:

Click here to view the secret text

02-04-2005 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
stigant wrote:
For number 3, there is:

02-05-2005 at 12:21 AM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
I assume that the answer to number 1 has got to be around about or less than 8 starting postions, or possibly a multiple of 8? I think I know of a good one for this.
02-05-2005 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
That would be telling :smartass:

An unrelated note on #1 - valid entry points are defined as those that you can reach via normal play.

An example - L1:3N2W can theoretically be conquered from the north, but it is impossible to get through the room without conquering it (as far as I know). So you can't conquer it from the north in practice as it is already conquered. The number of conquering starting positions is thus 32.
02-05-2005 at 01:49 AM
Rabscuttle
Sorry I haven't posted, but my ISP seems to have gone missing.

I have only received one set of answers, so yah boo sucks to everyone. :P

If anyone does still want to enter, you can until the answers are revealed.

The answers are:

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:02-13-2005 at 04:23 AM: left is right]
02-11-2005 at 12:12 AM
rowrow
I have a feeling who it is. :)

02-11-2005 at 02:08 AM
Rabscuttle
It isn't you, if that is what you're feeling.
02-11-2005 at 08:50 AM
Rabscuttle
It was Doom.

Who not so coincidentally is the winner. :hooray

Post so I can give you a plethora of points.

02-13-2005 at 01:58 AM
rowrow
Just who I thought it was. He is very good at challenges.

02-13-2005 at 02:31 AM
stigant
icon Re: Mini Scavenger Hunt (+1)  

For number 1, I think you mean

02-13-2005 at 04:11 AM
Rabscuttle
Ah yes. I always seem to get east and west mixed up.
02-13-2005 at 04:22 AM
rowrow
Well people get mixed up beetween right and left more than up and down. It is proven and why.

02-13-2005 at 04:50 AM
Doom
icon Re: Mini Scavenger Hunt (+9)  
No other participants? That was a little too easy...
Oh, I didn't even get L25-Entrance and L5-2N1W. Those were quite difficult to search...
02-13-2005 at 07:34 AM
Rabscuttle
Yeah, it was a pity there weren't more entries. I think perhaps I am too confusing. Or possibly the questions were too non-specific. "Find two rooms that you must enter five times." may have been better. *shrug*

Oh well, it means still have mod points to spare. Hmm...

02-13-2005 at 12:46 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
It's just that you were asking for things that required searching all ~350 rooms of KDD for the solution, and I'm sure a lot of people just didn't feel like putting that much time in.

02-13-2005 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
DiMono wrote:
It's just that you were asking for things that required searching all ~350 rooms of KDD for the solution, and I'm sure a lot of people just didn't feel like putting that much time in.
Not really. I just looked at the Level demo topic and picked the levels with Big number/Small number rooms visited. (Level 13: 35/18, Level 5: 43/22) I wasn't really sure if I got them all right because I didn't search all ~350 rooms but only the most obvious levels.
02-13-2005 at 03:05 PM
rowrow
I was thinking a bit of level 6 enterance.
And I once thought the checkpoint was a room in L19 where if you go on the checkpoint, the wraithwing would get stuck.

02-13-2005 at 03:10 PM
stigant
Not really. I just looked at the Level demo topic and picked the levels with Big number/Small number rooms visited. (Level 13: 35/18, Level 5: 43/22) I wasn't really sure if I got them all right because I didn't search all ~350 rooms but only the most obvious levels.

yeah, that's what I was going to do. But I still didn't want to go to that effort unless I had the other two figured out. I had the forbidden check point one right. But I had no idea about the least starting points. Interestingly, I have been playing back through KDD (which is how I found the forbidden checkpoint one) but missed the other one (just didn't register at the time).

02-13-2005 at 08:41 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I actually thought the first one was for the room that could be entered most ways, and I was counting up ways to enter rooms on level 24.

02-14-2005 at 02:02 AM
Rabscuttle
I was considering asking that. I'm fairly sure that it's the snake and brains room on 24 that has no edge walls at all. There's nine or ten squares in the NE you can't enter on (and not in a block, curiously enough), but all others seem fine. And initial sword position doesn't matter.

I've just been playing through some of the entries in the 'Best Room' contest, so I have a hankering to do a room design comp, if I can think of a good idea.

02-14-2005 at 03:36 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Mini Scavenger Hunt
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com