Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Assassins (idea for a new game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
IP: Logged
icon Assassins (+7)  
When I was at college, every year there was this huge game on campus called Assassins. The idea was that anybody who wanted to participate would sign up. Then, the names were put into a random order, and each person was given the name of the next person on the list. The last person on the list gets the name of the first person on the list. Nobody sees the whole list, just the name that they are given.

For example, if eytanz, rowrow, agaricus, erik and I were the 5 contestants, the list might look like this:

eytanz
rowrow
agaricus
erik
stigant

Eytanz would get a little slip of paper with rowrow's name on it. Rowrow would get a slip of paper with agaricus on it. I would get a slip with eytanz on it. Of course, you have no idea who has your name.

The object was to track down the person on your piece of paper (so eytanz would be tracking rowrow etc) and "assassinate" them with a water gun. You could use any means necessary to track them down (talk to friends, get their class schedule, find out where they live etc). And there were some rules about what would happen if your target sees you first. If you manage to assassinate your target, they're out of the game and you get their target. So for example, eytanz manages to kill rowrow, and rowrow's current target is agaricus. Now eytanz is trying to kill agaricus. You are only allowed to kill your current target.

The game continues until only one person is left (and they get their own name)

So I think this idea could be morphed into a forum game somehow. I think it will have to be turn based with a game-master. There could be a map (viewable by everyone), each person would have a location and a direction. Then you would get information about who you can see, who is near enough to shoot, who is near enough to talk to (done via PMs). Each turn would take some amount of time (say 24 hours), and you could move a certain distance each day.

Is anybody interested in playing this sort of a game? We would really need at least 10 or so people to make it fun. And it would take a long time. Maybe somebody has better ideas for how to make it work on the forums.

02-01-2005 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Assassins (+1)  
stigant wrote:
When I was at college, every year there was this huge game on campus called Assassins. The idea was that anybody who wanted to participate would sign up. Then, the names were put into a random order, and each person was given the name of the next person on the list. The last person on the list gets the name of the first person on the list. Nobody sees the whole list, just the name that they are given.

For example, if eytanz, rowrow, agaricus, erik and I were the 5 contestants, the list might look like this:

eytanz
rowrow
agaricus
erik
stigant

Eytanz would get a little slip of paper with rowrow's name on it. Rowrow would get a slip of paper with agaricus on it. I would get a slip with eytanz on it. Of course, you have no idea who has your name.

The object was to track down the person on your piece of paper (so eytanz would be tracking rowrow etc) and "assassinate" them with a water gun. You could use any means necessary to track them down (talk to friends, get their class schedule, find out where they live etc). And there were some rules about what would happen if your target sees you first. If you manage to assassinate your target, they're out of the game and you get their target. So for example, eytanz manages to kill rowrow, and rowrow's current target is agaricus. Now eytanz is trying to kill agaricus. You are only allowed to kill your current target.

The game continues until only one person is left (and they get their own name)

So I think this idea could be morphed into a forum game somehow. I think it will have to be turn based with a game-master. There could be a map (viewable by everyone), each person would have a location and a direction. Then you would get information about who you can see, who is near enough to shoot, who is near enough to talk to (done via PMs). Each turn would take some amount of time (say 24 hours), and you could move a certain distance each day.

Is anybody interested in playing this sort of a game? We would really need at least 10 or so people to make it fun. And it would take a long time. Maybe somebody has better ideas for how to make it work on the forums.

;-) Nice idea !

Sounds like a tabletop game.... or here : Online RPG

Some questions :

If eyetanz sees rowrow, but rowrow sees him first is he allowed to shoot at him ? I think not ?

Do you see everybody position on this map or do you know only yours ?

Do you shoot by posting ?

For what reaseon is talking good ? Like Eyetanz sawn rowrow and your target is is him you can ask him where he was

Map ? ASCI-Based or Grafic ?

Either

000000E00000
WWWWWWWWWWWW
00000R000000

(Showimg Rowrow behind a wall)

or Either

A map and the game master tells the person where he is and
which players are around via coordinates (Bus stop here might work as teleport)
02-01-2005 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
icon Re: Assassins (0)  
Everybody would have the map, but would only know where their own coordinates, and the coordinates of anybody they could see (based on line of sight and obstacles etc). The gamemaster would send each person a PM with who they can currently see.

As far as talking to other people (via PM), I don't know how you could use that to your advantage, but I'm sure it could be useful.

Shooting would be assumed if you can see your target (and are within range) and they can't see you (for example, if they are facing away from you). If your target CAN see you, then there would be no shot (assume they can dodge any shot they see coming).

Kills would be posted (eytanz kills agaricus etc) publicly, and new targets would be assigned via PMs from the game master.

Map ? ASCI-Based or Grafic ?

I think either of those would work. ASCI might be the easiest to work with respect to movement, but Graphical would be easier to compute line of sight.

02-01-2005 at 08:42 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I love the game, having played it myself my freshman year. I think that this version might be a little complicated though. Here's a suggestion:

In order to make a kill, you must attack your target within a certain time period after they've made a post. To attack, you could mod their post down to -1 and post a reply immediately after theirs saying that you've killed them. Granted, it would invade other topics, but I like the idea of not being safe anywhere.

Also, if your post is modded positively or if someone replies before your killer has the chance to mod you down and make their own reply, you're safe. We'll have to go on the honor system here, since it will always be possible to mod a +1 post back down to -1, or what have you.

I just suggest this because having a GM and a map seems like it would move at a snail's pace, like I'm currently experienceing with DROD Survivor. But it's your thing, so do it how you please.

Great idea, by the way!

02-01-2005 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
I just suggest this because having a GM and a map seems like it would move at a snail's pace, like I'm currently experienceing with DROD Survivor. But it's your thing, so do it how you please.

I agree, that's why I asked for other suggestions. Using a GM makes it less of a "forum game" as well.

In order to make a kill, you must attack your target within a certain time period after they've made a post. To attack, you could mod their post down to -1 and post a reply immediately after theirs saying that you've killed them. Granted, it would invade other topics, but I like the idea of not being safe anywhere.

Also, if your post is modded positively or if someone replies before your killer has the chance to mod you down and make their own reply, you're safe. We'll have to go on the honor system here, since it will always be possible to mod a +1 post back down to -1, or what have you.

I like this idea. We could always restrict it to certain fora (say, Forum Games, Anything, and Electronic Games). We'd probably also need a policy of having to make a certain number of posts every week. Or reward most kills instead of just the overall winner. Also, we need a way to transfer targets.

I love the game, having played it myself my freshman year.

Personally, I always had a grudge for the game since my freshman year, when I wasn't even playing, some $%#& thought I was his target, and together with two of his friends, soaked me with super-soakers at dinner one night! But I like the idea of the game.

02-01-2005 at 11:12 PM
RoboBob3000
I had the unfortunate experience of being killed by my killer's killer, who killed my killer while he was making an attempt to kill me.

And as far as informing the next person of their targets, the person who was just killed can PM the name of the person they were after to the person who killed them. We'd still need someone in charge of the master list outside of the game, to make sure everybody's after the right person and to assist in communication if it breaks down.

[Edited by RoboBob3000 at Local Time:02-02-2005 at 12:56 AM]

02-02-2005 at 12:54 AM
stigant
Actually, I was thinking that we wouldn't need a game master who doesn't play... we could divide the list into two parts, and have two people scramble them. Each Co-GM would have the other GM in their list. Then the last person in each list is given the first person in the other list. The GMs would still have a little more information about the list than other people, but not really enough for a real edge.

02-02-2005 at 01:09 AM
RoboBob3000
That sounds like it will work, provided that we have trustworthy GMs, which I'm sure won't be a problem.

If we're at the stage where we're making the list, put my name down!

02-03-2005 at 12:14 AM
stigant
Ok, the rules will be this:

1. Everybody who signs up will be put into a list. You will receive the name of the next person on the list.
2. Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and you will, since you signed up here), will be to assassinate the person who's name you received. To assissinate somebody, you must post the message "Bang, you're dead" (or something to that effect) in a thread immediately after they post. This means that your post must be the next post in the thread. Also, the time on your post must be within 60 minutes of the time on their post. In addition, you must mod them down 1 point (-1). And, finally, nobody can have modded them up before you mod them down. This last rule is on the honor system.
3. Only threads in the boards Forum Games, Anything, and Electronic Games will be available for killing. Also, this thread will be considered "safe." ie you can't kill someone after they post to this thread.
4. You must make at least one kill-eligible post every 2 days. If you don't fulfill your posting obligations, but your stalker does, he may claim a default kill. Of course, nobody knows who their stalker is, so you'll have to make sure you post every 2 days.
5. After killing your target (or if they default on posting obligations), post here so that we have a record of who killed whom.
6. If you are killed, you should PM the name of your target to your killer.
7. First place (last standing) will get 5 points, 2nd place will get 3 points, 3rd place will get 1 point.
8. Most kills will get 5 points, 2nd most kills will get 3 points, 3rd most kills will get 1 point.
9. Everybody will get one point for participating.

We probably need at least 10 people to sign up. RoboBob and I will be the GMs.

So far we have:
player              kills           status
RoboBob3000           0              Dead
Maurog                2.5            Dead
MeckMeckGRE           1              alive
Tim                   0              Dead
Fried Chips           0              Dead
MattCrampy            1              Dead

Edit: changed time limit to 1 hour, added RB as GM

Maurog killed Tim.
MattCrampy killed RoboBob3000
FriedChips is out for not posting.
Maurog killed MattCrampy
MeckMeckGRE killed Maurog.

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:02-15-2005 at 02:46 AM]

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:02-16-2005 at 05:41 PM]

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:02-19-2005 at 09:33 PM]

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:02-20-2005 at 06:17 PM]

02-03-2005 at 03:15 AM
RoboBob3000
I'm perfectly willing to be your second banana. I think we might want to increase the time limit to about an hour or so. I don't feel like a minimum of a 15 minute window every two days is big enough to really get someone. It's not all the time that I log on that I even see a post in the last 15 miuntes, let alone see a psot from a specific person in the timespan.

It might just need some experimenting and tweaking while we're in the game, so you should give yourself the option to amend the rule.

02-03-2005 at 05:37 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Assassins (+10)  
Hey, this game looks cool. Count me in.
15 minutes doesn't really sound enough though.

By the way, when you say "Bang you're dead" that makes you exposed to your assassin, amiright?

02-03-2005 at 11:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
By the way, when you say "Bang you're dead" that makes you exposed to your assassin, amiright?

indeed!

don't feel like a minimum of a 15 minute window every two days is big enough to really get someone.

Fair enough, we can try a 1 hour window then.

02-03-2005 at 01:13 PM
MeckMeck GRE
icon Re: Assassins (+7)  
If poissible I would join. No time earlier because of School
02-03-2005 at 03:15 PM
MeckMeck GRE
icon Re: Assassins (+3)  
stigant wrote:
Ok, the rules will be this:

1. Everybody who signs up will be put into a list. You will receive the name of the next person on the list.
2. Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and you will, since you signed up here), will be to assassinate the person who's name you received. To assissinate somebody, you must post the message "Bang, you're dead" (or something to that effect) in a thread immediately after they post. This means that your post must be the next post in the thread. Also, the time on your post must be within 60 minutes of the time on their post. In addition, you must mod them down 1 point (-1). And, finally, nobody can have modded them up before you mod them down. This last rule is on the honor system.
3. Only threads in the boards Forum Games, Anything, and Electronic Games will be available for killing. Also, this thread will be considered "safe." ie you can't kill someone after they post to this thread.
4. You must make at least one kill-eligible post every 2 days. If you don't fulfill your posting obligations, but your stalker does, he may claim a default kill. Of course, nobody knows who their stalker is, so you'll have to make sure you post every 2 days.
5. After killing your target (or if they default on posting obligations), post here so that we have a record of who killed whom.
7. First place (last standing) will get 5 points, 2nd place will get 3 points, 3rd place will get 1 point.
8. Most kills will get 5 points, 2nd most kills will get 3 points, 3rd most kills will get 1 point.
9. Everybody will get one point for participating.

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:02-03-2005 at 01:15 PM]

This meens you dont have to see him ?

02-03-2005 at 03:18 PM
stigant
No, I guess you don't have to see him logged on, just post immediately after him and within one hour of his post.

02-03-2005 at 04:03 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
There is a problem with this rule:
stigant wrote:
If someone is not fast in PMing the killer, the killer will have to wait a long time for his next kill. I think the GM's should also PM the killer of his next victim ASAP.

2. Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and you will, since you signed up here), will be to assassinate the person who's name you received. To assissinate somebody, you must post the message "Bang, you're dead" (or something to that effect) in a thread immediately after they post.
I would suggest you make the "Bang, you're dead" posts to be safe as well.

Oh, and count me in. I'm only cannon fodder though...

-- Tim

02-03-2005 at 04:52 PM
stigant
If someone is not fast in PMing the killer, the killer will have to wait a long time for his next kill. I think the GM's should also PM the killer of his next victim ASAP.

if it takes too long (lets say, 2 days) for the target to get back to the killer, we can figure out who they're supposed to kill next and handle that.

I would suggest you make the "Bang, you're dead" posts to be safe as well.

No, I don't think so. Picking the right moment to assassinate someone is just as important as killing them.

02-03-2005 at 05:17 PM
stigant
Bump... anybody else interested in playing? If not, I'll just drop out and start the game with four people, but I don't think it will be much fun.

02-08-2005 at 12:11 AM
Fried Chips
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
icon Re: Assassins (+2)  
Can I play? Sounds like fun

02-08-2005 at 05:29 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'll play.

Matt

02-10-2005 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Ok, I've sent out targets. Since we only got 6 players, I won't play, and any questions about the game can be sent to me. I have the entire list.

Fried Chips
Matt Crampy
RoboBob3000
MeckMeckGRE
Maurog
Tim

02-14-2005 at 04:52 PM
stigant
And MeckMeck is our winner. Maurog wins the kill count.

02-20-2005 at 06:20 PM
Freak
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Alternate kill rule for this game: If A can sandwich B (A posts immediately before and after B), then A can claim a kill. Signups are by PM, and kills are made silently (PM to judge or victim), so players don't know who else is playing (except they know their own targets).

Multiple posts by a single person count like one post. (A,B,B,A is a kill for A against B.)
05-18-2005 at 06:17 PM
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
I want in!!! :D
05-21-2005 at 07:50 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Assassins (idea for a new game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com