Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Contest analysis (Joker's lock pick of the month)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
IP: Logged
icon Re: Contest analysis (+1)  
I was hoping for first place to get free JTRH. I guess it is for the best. Krammer deserved it. I congratulate him. Well done Krammer!!! :) .

02-06-2005 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Contest results. (+1)  
This is the end of the contest, so now I will look back and make some observations:

1. People either wanted to make long-shot predictions or completely trivial predictions. The art of making a clever, conservative guess seemed lost on us. As a result, nobody got 4 or higher for an average impressiveness rating. And the highest individual prediction rating was 4.09 ("I predict that Aston Villa will be 11th in the Premiership on January the 23rd.")

1b. But also... I thought the voters were a little hard to impress. Maybe I should have grounded the rating in probability better. For example, if I flip a coin and successfully predict heads, it seems reasonable to get a "5" rating for the 50% chance I had of getting it right. Anyhow, don't beat yourselves up over being unimpressive people.

2. Accuracy was of much greater importance than impressiveness for this contest. Well, that's not a big surprise, because I didn't allow inaccurate predictions to be voted on for impressiveness. I was worried at the beginning that Eytan was going to "steal" the win somehow with his collection of unimpressive, guaranteed-accurate predictions, but nope... he didn't make it.

3. Making a smaller number of predictions seems to be helpful. The winners all made just three predictions.

4. It is hard to come up with objective standards for what kinds of predictions are acceptable. I'm glad that nobody really argued with some of my more ambiguous and inconsistent "rulings". That was nice of you!

5. I thought this contest was going to be easy to run. Bleh! I am stupid. Lots of work because so many people entered predictions. As a result, I was a little humorless and curt about tracking the predictions, because I wanted to get through them quickly and get on to other important tasks. So if I seemed rude or unenthusiastic at times, please forgive me--I was just trying to be efficient.

In the real world, I think people who make predictions should be judged by their accuracy--not merely by the impressivenenss of the subset of their predictions that came true. I'm a fan of debunkers like the Amazing Randi and television shows like Penn & Teller's Bullsh*t and Mythbusters. This was my chance to play a little "debunking" experiment. Can't say I learned a lot, but it was nice to scratch that itch.

On to the winners...

Krammer, like the other winners, had 100% accuracy for his minimal three questions. I'm not sure who this Aston Villa guy is. It seems like he will need to wait for ten other people to step down or be removed before he can become the Premier of London, and finally run things how he wants. Well, good luck and patience to him.

Rowrow came in second place with three modest predictions of things that wouldn't happen. Nice job, rowrow!

Tim had a flair for complex predictions with multiple choices, exceptions, and tax loopholes. I believe that if he continues this habit in all areas of his life, people will confuse him for a genius and shower him with success.

So Krammer, you get 100 rank points, sure, but just wait on selecting your prize. Seriously. You'll see why!

Rowrow and Tim, you're gonna get 50 and 25--look after your rank points carefully, and get good advice on integrating them into your investment portfolio.

The rookies! Oh my god, the rookies! 10 points go to...

bradwall
krammer
MeckMeck GRE
rowrow
strabo
TripleM

Ah, but what about those other guys that entered predictions that never got resolved? Don't they get the rookie bonus? Well, I don't mean to offend, but just posting the predictions isn't involved enough for me to classify it as contest participation. Sorry!

I don't have anything else to say, but want to end on a positive note. Hmm...

Kittens.

-Erik

02-06-2005 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Contest analysis (0)  
Don't we get mod points with the rank points? I mean only giving us rank points and not mod points is like giving a burger and no ketchup or fries. Or puppies without ketchup.

02-07-2005 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Nope, sorry, no mod points. Only rank points are awarded.

-Erik

02-07-2005 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
How are they supposed to invest them wisely without mod points?

02-07-2005 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Contest analysis (+1)  
Wow. I came first.

*blinks*

Well, thanks :). Even though I feel a bit guilty that my very meagre contribution outranked those people who made loads of far more impressive and intriguing ideas. It looks like one lucky prediction mixed with a few obvious ones was the best way to go for this contest. Anyway, it was a very close thing, so there are obviously lots of us with some basic psychic talent here.

"Oook!"
02-07-2005 at 04:07 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Contest results. (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Tim had a flair for complex predictions with multiple choices, exceptions, and tax loopholes. I believe that if he continues this habit in all areas of his life, people will confuse him for a genius and shower him with success.
What do you mean by confuse anyway? I am a genius! :lol :lol :lol

Actually, I find it a bit very disturbing if my entry got third. I did not even mean it to be serious! Only my third prediction was a bit risky, but I got only ones from that one...

To be honest, I did not use the tax loopholes in this contest, but only the loopholes of the contest, exactly the ones Erik had described. ;)

-- Tim

02-07-2005 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Contest analysis (Joker's lock pick of the month)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com