Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Can't think of what to name my hold.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon Can't think of what to name my hold. (0)  
What should I base the name on? I don't want anything stupid...
01-31-2005 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Can't think of what to name my hold. (0)  
What kinds of rooms are in it? How deep is it? Is it a puzzle hold, or a hack'n'slash hold? Before we can help you in any way, we need to know things about your hold.

01-31-2005 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Atch
Rank Points: 81
icon Re: Can't think of what to name my hold. (+1)  
I don’t think that we need to know anything about the hold, it is only a hook to hang the thing on after all.

Single words or short and snappy tends to stand out and I would take a look at the names of all the holds already downloaded and start with a letter of the alphabet that hasn’t or hasn’t often been used, so I certainly wouldn’t start with the definite article (the).

You could look in a dictionary and pick out a rare word that you like the look of or likewise a thesaurus.

Examples:

zemindar – a tax farmer for the Mogul emperors of India.

dungeon could be cell, prison, jail, gaol, lock-up, keep, oubliette or vault.

death has numerous synonyms: perishing, quietus, annihilation, extirpation to give just a few.

A popular alternative is to name it after yourself or a friend: we have already had Ricky’s, John’s, squeekie’s, Mark’s, Phil’s, Simon’s, Charlotte’s, rowrow’s etc Dungeon, Lair, World, Hold or whatever.

You might like to name it after the time or place the hold was created: February’s Fatalities or Hitchin’s Keep (for me).

There are endless possibilities but it is the quality of the hold that makes the thing memorable not the name. However, I rather like the look of Maggot’s Mine.

02-01-2005 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
Rank Points: 42
I'm using the cavern style, and it is a mixture of hack n' slash and puzzle. I'm trying to make an attractive hold too.
02-01-2005 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
The Depths of Pell?

02-02-2005 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Blood Maggot wrote:
I'm using the cavern style, and it is a mixture of hack n' slash and puzzle. I'm trying to make an attractive hold too.
Caverns of Blood

:)

- Gerry
02-02-2005 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Can't think of what to name my hold. (+2)  
RoboBob's Hack'n'slash-a-torium.

02-02-2005 at 07:29 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Can't think of what to name my hold.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com