Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Your username (wackhead_uk? What the...?)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon Re: Your username (0)  
Briareos wrote:
silver wrote:
I don't get it. both lines of my post are still valid.
Eh? I had thought you had your name officially changed to just silver Harloe? :huh

nope. name is still "John silver Harloe". I still just use my middle name, and often write my name without the first name (people with "normal sounding" middle names get away with this _all the time_).

06-02-2007 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Your username (+1)  
For the record: when I was younger, I thought the Beatles were singing "isn't it good: Norwegian word", and not "wood". So I spent over a week trying to find a Norwegian/English dictionary at a library--this was pre-internet, remember. I wanted to know the word for "good", because I thought that's what they were singing about. But in the middle of the week, I think I got confused by the slogan for Jell-O at the time, which was "isn't it good?", and I ended up looking up the Norwegian word for "gelatin" instead, which is "tahnan". I didn't realize my mistake until college--all through high school when I thought something was good I'd say, "That's so tahnan!", until sophomore year of college when a classmate of mine from Oslo asked me, "Why do you keep saying things are gelatin?" But by that point it had stuck, so.
06-02-2007 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Heard it ten years ago, when I was 6, liked it, kept it.

'Nuff said.

And needless to say, I still like it.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 06-02-2007 09:50 PM]
06-02-2007 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
My username; Monkeys are my favorite animal, nobody had the name, so, well...
I took it!
Kind of a stroke of luck nobody chose my username, though.

[Last edited by Monkey at 06-02-2007 10:09 PM]
06-02-2007 at 10:08 PM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
Mine's just the result of boring initials and hardly ever finding someone else with the same username. Nothing more than that.

:cue the crowds of wisecrackers attempting to come up with funny or goofy names that fit those three letters: >_>;

[Last edited by BDR at 06-03-2007 04:35 AM]
06-03-2007 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Your username (+1)  
When I first registered in a website, ( a writing site), not so very long ago, I had to think up a name; for some reason I have never had nicknames at any time in my life. Anyway, I am a great fan of Tolkien and this popped into my head:
“In this hour take the name that was foretold for you, Elessar, the Elfstone of the house of Elendil.”

06-03-2007 at 12:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NeonElephant
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
Back in high school when I started playing Bolo and puttering around on BBSes, I figured I needed to come up with a "handle" of some kind to use. The choices seemed to be either some literary reference or something fairly random and original. I figured that there was no literary reference I could fill the shoes of, and so went for original.

The actual nickname is the result of a marketing-consultant-like process ("process" probably gives it too much credit :-) of picking two things that I found cool and affixing them together. At least I haven't had much trouble with it already being taken :)
06-14-2007 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
(I do hope no one actually believed that thing I wrote up there.)
06-14-2007 at 08:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Tahnan wrote:
(I do hope no one actually believed that thing I wrote up there.)
Well, I certainly didn't, for two reasons:
A) The Norwegian word for "gelatin" is, as far as I know, "gelatin".
B) I know your real name. :P

However, "Tahnan" is pretty close to the finnish word "tahna", which means "paste" or "compound" (as in toothpaste or sandwich spread; it is also used in the word "piitahna", which is the word for "thermal grease" (that thing used as a heat conductor in electronics)), and paste is somewhat similar to gelatin...

06-14-2007 at 04:28 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
BDR wrote:
Mine's just the result of boring initials and hardly ever finding someone else with the same username. Nothing more than that.

:cue the crowds of wisecrackers attempting to come up with funny or goofy names that fit those three letters: >_>;

Bulging Dirty Receptacle? Benjamin "Dangerous" Raw (the wild west brawler)? Blossoming Diurnal Raptor?[/wisecrack]

06-14-2007 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
i know you wouldn't of geussed it, but...
I like golf!

06-17-2007 at 04:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I've answered this before, and I'm not sure why I picked this username.

I am often mistaken for the unfortunately obvious compound word that it makes, but I pronounce it like CAW-pro.

06-17-2007 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Your username (wackhead_uk? What the...?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com