Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Requests: Editor, scenery, shadows
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Requests: Editor, scenery, shadows (0)  
1. 'Copy from adjacent room' buttons on each corner of a room, just to copy across the edge squares when wanted.

2. Copy+paste drag selected room areas

3. I sure do wish I had more scenery available to decorate my level than 2x2 shrubs (3x1, 1x1, L shaped, and a really BIG shrub)

In English, what I'm asking for is the ability to import my own scenery (or creature) graphics, and have a wider variety of background scenery than is available at the moment. Sort of like The Sims, except with additional roaches. The additional scenery would be local to the individual hold.

4. Beethro appears to be immune to shadows. It would be nice if shadows actually had an effect on the Beethro (and other creature) graphics.
06-17-2003 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Requests: Editor, scenery, shadows (0)  
StuartK wrote:
1. 'Copy from adjacent room' buttons on each corner of a room, just to copy across the edge squares when wanted.

This is mostly unnecessary - you are warned when the edges aren't identical; and one can always go back and forth between the rooms to see what needs to be placed on the wall if necessary.

2. Copy+paste drag selected room areas

This would be nice.

06-17-2003 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Requests: Editor, scenery, shadows (0)  
3) I'm already pushing for the grahical code to be rewritten to include extra graphics tiles. At the moment, I'm more thinking of doing things like putting cracks in tiles, but it's easily extended to putting extra scenery and monster mutations.

4) Again, this'll be done when the graphics code's rewritten. Eric's already got an idea how to separate the shadows from the tiles (look in the Bitmaps folder to see who it's put together at the moment) and will put it in when he isn't done.

Matt

06-18-2003 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Requests: Editor, scenery, shadows (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
3) I'm already pushing for the grahical code to be rewritten to include extra graphics tiles. At the moment, I'm more thinking of doing things like putting cracks in tiles, but it's easily extended to putting extra scenery and monster mutations.

Would the cracks on tiles be to give rooms personality, or tiles which can be walked over multiple times before crumbling? I'm guessing the latter has probably already been made as a suggestion, but both would be good.

4) Again, this'll be done when the graphics code's rewritten. Eric's already got an idea how to separate the shadows from the tiles (look in the Bitmaps folder to see who it's put together at the moment) and will put it in when he isn't done.

Matt

That would be cool. I was thinking of maybe including some really large/tall scenery that probably casts a large shadow over multiple squares.

The shrub bug I encountered seems to be that shadows from multiple 'objects' cannot as yet overlap each other. If two shadows do overlap, it would be nice if they interacted with each other. Say 50% shadow from one shrub, 50% shadow from another, combined together, would yield 75% shadow. With a range of scenery heights, this could lead to some perhaps interesting 'visibility' creature issues.

Or maybe we could have a floor type which makes any creature on it only partially visible.

At the moment graphics are often 'mock' 3d. If an object were given a certain height, could items hidden 'behind' it be shown in outline. Or, say for instance, a large tree which you can see creatures hidden underneath the 'branches'.
06-18-2003 at 09:07 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Requests: Editor, scenery, shadows
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com