Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Water and Swamps
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
leventdal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
IP: Logged
icon Water and Swamps (0)  
I searched the forum and there was no opinion about complete or partly water levels. The use of water will mainly be the ability of some monster swim. So such areas will be safe for Beethro against some monsters. Beethro can either swim or ride a boat.

Also there may be streams forcing Beethro move in that direction. Hazardous water falls and whirlpools can create different form of dangers.

Swimming monsters will create a varity in monster types.

Swamps are like pits but steping on them is dangerous and after a certain period Beethro will sink. May be some creatures can walk on swamp some can't. This may form another way of killing.
06-17-2003 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Water and Swamps (0)  
There is one a bit like this on Sourceforge called "the flow". You should really check there as well before posting here, although to be fair, it isn't that similar.

Swimming monsters - I'm sorry, but to what purpose? If Beethro can swim (or sail) then there might as well not be water, it adds nothing.

Nice idea but I don't really think it has any point.

"Oook!"
06-17-2003 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leventdal
There is one a bit like this on Sourceforge called "the flow". You should really check there as well before posting here, although to be fair, it isn't that similar.

Swimming monsters - I'm sorry, but to what purpose? If Beethro can swim (or sail) then there might as well not be water, it adds nothing.

Nice idea but I don't really think it has any point.

Sailing or swimming may give the opportunity of moving and rotating in the same turn.

Swimming non-swimming monsters will create a varity in puzzles. Instead of seperating with a wall that no one can walk, the shore will create a safe zone for only Beethro. It may create escape routes or traps against monsters.
06-17-2003 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Oh you mean monsters that swim but don't go on land. Sorry, misunderstood you.
Yes, interesting ideas now I understand them a bit better.

"Oook!"
06-17-2003 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leventdal
Oh you mean monsters that swim but don't go on land. Sorry, misunderstood you.
Yes, interesting ideas now I understand them a bit better.

Yes. Otherwise pits could partly do the same job.
06-17-2003 at 11:28 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
That would be interesting...wow. Can you guys imagine having to watch out for ghosts, roaches, and "mad pirahnas"? And the roach-like swimming monster better be called a mad pirahna. That's just too cool to pass up.

06-18-2003 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leventdal
That would be interesting...wow. Can you guys imagine having to watch out for ghosts, roaches, and "mad pirahnas"? And the roach-like swimming monster better be called a mad pirahna. That's just too cool to pass up.

Piranha would be the best name for a mad water monster. Also shark, killer whale and octopus may be other monster types.
06-18-2003 at 02:19 AM
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
I liked the boat idea. In order to enter the water, Beethro has to find a boat, and when leaving water, the boat stays where it was last used.
06-18-2003 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Interesting idea about the swamp. It could maybe be like the red tiles, only you have to step on it two or three times for it to disapear. It wouldn't even have to be called a swamp, actually...it could just be a new type of tile.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
06-19-2003 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I imagine that on swamp tiles Beethro can't wait for too long...that pressing 5 will cause the square to degrade as much as walking over it. Or for the case of water, Beethro can only tread water for so long...but then you would have to limit total time spent in the water, not just on one square. Nah, too limiting.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-19-2003 at 12:37 AM
leventdal
Swamp will generally cause player to make his move carefully but not as much as red tiles. Also the way will never be blocked like red tiles. Red tiles force the player to plan a path carefully but swamps will force moving quick.

This might be useful especially in rooms with roach queens. Where he needs to kill new roaches quickly then run to a strategical location.

The boat or if used any vehicle can give the opportunity to move and rotate in the same turn. The dungeon railway can be a nice route.

[Edited by leventdal on 06-19-2003 at 01:23 AM]
06-19-2003 at 02:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Water and Swamps
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com