Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: Tar placement/deletion
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Bug: Tar placement/deletion (0)  
Tar is on the monsters page of the toolbar, but it needs to be deleted with the object deletion. When it's removed, it leaves tar-babies behind.

06-16-2003 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
key-smiter
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
icon Re: Bug: Tar placement/deletion (0)  
Sure does. Entered into the bug list . . .

Thanks!
06-17-2003 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Well, tar and snakes are kind of a sticky issue. (These issues never come up until an editor is involved.) Snake pieces are actually currently located in the wall layer (for historical reasons) and tar is on the object layer (because it needs to go on walls, but we might have monsters that go on top of it).

With a fair amount of coding, and a large amount of testing, snake pieces could be moved out of the floor layer. I agree this is the best option. If Erik gives the go-ahead, I can start work on moving snake pieces out of the bottom layer. But it's a complex process, and I'm worried about giving all the esteemed beta-testers grief as serpent-related bugs are introduced. So until that happens, serpents need to be considered on the wall layer, although they really shouldn't be.

And tar, although it is involved with monsters, isn't really a monster. I just put it on the monster menu since that seemed more natural, although it was originally on the object menu, and might need to go back if that is what makes more sense for level designers.

Discussion is welcomed!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-17-2003 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
Well, if tar needs to be on the object menu, I think you should place it there - I believe it will be far easier for people to get used to it there than to constantly switch between one tab and another when placing/removing tar.

In either case, however, I think the fact that deleting tar leaves tar babies behind needs to be fixed... Try placing a large cube of tar and then deleting it - it leaves a whole mess of tar babies. I guess it's because the tar is deleted one square at a time and the game translates single-square tar to tar-babies; I think, that in the editor, illegal tar configurations should simply disappear - if I want to add a tar baby, I should do so explicitly.

06-17-2003 at 02:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Tar no longer turns into tar babies when part of it is deleted. (Included in build 20.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-18-2003 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug: Tar placement/deletion
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com