Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (An idea to use up my mod points)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (+2)  
Started in June 2003, I spent a year and a month or two to build Bavato's Dungeon, and get it through alpha testing. Beta testing got the hold restructured and many trivial solutions were found. However, the final hold wasn't to be, for it itself had three critical bugs and many trivial solutions to be fixed, which meant that the hold had to be updated 7 times, which I still regret.

Although fully playable now (you can complete the present version entirely), it's certainly not completely finished, for recently, I made a number of alternate solution discoveries, which were totally unexpected, and made rooms a lot easier compared to my intended solutions. On replaying the hold, I discovered a few of them, some inspired by help topics, and all because I'm a better player of DROD compared to what I used to be. The player base has also expanded a great deal, with a pretty large number of pretty good DROD players out there, some of whom have completed or played through a lot of the hold. And so, with this vastly improved tester force, and a new version of DROD, I'm now going to update Bavato's Dungeon at some time in the future to make a new, improved version especially for DROD 2.0.

So... I ask for your help once again. If you've got the hold, and played through it once before, or are playing it now, you could, if you wish, help me test the hold, and stamp out any remaining bugs or problems left, or suggest minor improvements to rooms or structure. If you haven't played it before, you can still help me - all you have to do is download it from here and start playing.

Where do the mod points come into this, you may ask?

Well, I have amassed a collection of over 240 of them, being quite lazy, which should be put to much better use, and so, as a counter to this (admittedly) self-promotion, and an incentive to people to help, I'm going to distribute mod points to everyone who makes a valid contribution.

What I'm looking for:

If you find a trivial solution, a bug, or a solution that feels too easy to be intended, compared to the relative hold and level difficulty, I'll give you 5 rank points if I confirm it as trivial or definitely unexpected and requiring change.

If you have an issue with any particular rooms being unfair, tedious, unpleasant, or anything else negative or offputting, and have a valid reason for it (i.e. not purely because you need to be skilled at DROD, but perhaps because it relies too heavily on monster placement order, for example), then I'll give you 2 rank points, once I confirm it. Providing me with a suggestion for improvements will get you 3 rank points instead of 2.

If you've got a comment to make about improving a room's aesthetics, playability (i.e. checkpoint placement, for example) or anything else to do with improving the hold to make it better, then I'll give you 2 rank points if I agree with you.

If you just want to throw some support in (or something negative, with a reasonable explanation) and make a general comment about a level or the hold, or something else, then I'll give you 1 rank point for it (although if you wish to do this, I'd prefer it to be posted in the hold's thread, rather than here, so I don't get confused later when I go through everything).

If you spot or notice anything odd or inconsistent with the storyline, see improvement for rewording, catch a spelling or grammatical error, or anything else like this, either in the hold or on the first page of the hold's thread, then I'll give you 1 rank point for each one I confirm.

Anything else that is posted, which I find useful, but which isn't in any of these categories, will also get points.

I can predict that there may be significant problems with this, in the sense that everyone may start clamoring for the rank points, and so arguments or swamping this thread may happen, so I'm going to include one or two guidelines to follow here:

1. Please don't duplicate someone else's report or finding. If someone else has already found or suggested something, I won't award anything for a repeat report.

2. Please include a valid and preferably detailed explanation for a comment or finding. I'll only give you the points if I can actually see what you mean.

3. The hold is not going to be significantly restructured; only small, minor changes will be made that won't affect existing puzzles too extensively (I'm not replacing rooms or puzzles, for example).

4. Be honest with your comments. Don't post things here or in the hold's thread just for the sake of getting the rank point. The main idea is to improve the hold; rank points are just an incentive to get people involved.

5. It is up to my discretion whether I agree with you or not. I'm not too strict on such requirements, but there will inevitably be things that I don't agree with, and which I therefore won't do anything about, so don't be disappointed if I don't incorporate your idea. If it's been well written, and is understandably valid, you may still get the points, however.

And that's about all, really. I will look over any comments in the past month or so, and award points according to the above rules.

Edit: Oh, and I shall make L12 and L9 Entrance exceptions to this, since I am aware about possible comments for them, and will not be changing anything in those rooms.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-10-2005 at 10:46 PM]

01-10-2005 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (0)  
I'm in this hunt. Hopefully there is nothing to find. But if you insist.

01-11-2005 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (+5)  
Agaricus5 wrote: (In Hints and Solutions)
You should be able to get goblins from all the other groups as well, although you can only save 6 from the top-centre group, and 3 from the group on the far right edge.
This Room
There seems to be (very small, though) mistake in here. The orb at "1" doesn't close but opens the door at "2" allowing you to save 3 extra goblins.

The difficulty is a little uneven sometimes IMO.
Level 11 - The Fissure and The Bypass Tunnel are greatly easier than almost all earlier levels. I wasn't even able to complete few rooms in level 7 but those two levels were very easy. I'll understand if The Bypass Tunnel is easier to give players a little break, though.

And I'd say that almost all rooms in level 13 are unfair (:D) (Nah, just very difficult) (I especially dislike trapdoors under tar. Now you know which rooms I skipped in level 7...)

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:01-11-2005 at 07:40 PM]
01-11-2005 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Doom wrote:
Agaricus5 wrote: (In Hints and Solutions)
You should be able to get goblins from all the other groups as well, although you can only save 6 from the top-centre group, and 3 from the group on the far right edge.
This Room
There seems to be (very small, though) mistake in here. The orb at "1" doesn't close but opens the door at "2" allowing you to save 3 extra goblins.
Argh!

That's pretty nasty.

Thanks for that.

Edit (28/03/05): Bug fixed for 1.6/2.0

The difficulty is a little uneven sometimes IMO.
Level 11 - The Fissure and The Bypass Tunnel are greatly easier than almost all earlier levels. I wasn't even able to complete few rooms in level 7 but those two levels were very easy. I'll understand if The Bypass Tunnel is easier to give players a little break, though.

Level 11 is purely for the storyline, so this is an intentional "break" after the smiting and movement required in L10. The Bypass Tunnel is also intentionally easy, because it is a bypass level to L12, so players who want to do the maze won't miss out on anything (It's not really a level).

And I'd say that almost all rooms in level 13 are unfair (:D) (Nah, just very difficult) (I especially dislike trapdoors under tar. Now you know which rooms I skipped in level 7...)
Yeah, well at least you know exactly where all the trapdoors are. I made sure that trapdoors were either all visible, or that every square was a trapdoor or checkpoint.

So... 5 points.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-28-2005 at 10:58 PM]

01-11-2005 at 09:03 PM
agaricus5
This is the last call for any trivial solutions, bugs to be fixed or changes you want to see happen to be reported. I am about half-way through a new 1.6 release (as you might have noticed if you've looked at the older posts about Bavato's Dungeon and its bugs very recently), and probably won't be releasing another version after this one, unless I've missed something important.

Post any feedback either here or here, and I'll get back to you.

Remember, the rules at the top of this thread will still apply up until the next release, so get searching!

03-28-2005 at 11:00 PM
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
icon Re: Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (+5)  
Hey I think I've got some things for level 4:
For 1 North: it's a nice room, but I saw for that we could kill three snakes without entering them in the 'L door'. If you didn't undderstand, I will show you with the room map because actually 'the Insert DROD Room image' is not working (I don't know even why).
For 1S 1W: I can kill the serpent from the small 'entrance room'. Was that the intentional?
For level 7 I
Click here to view the secret text

:D . was it required to finish the level?( I haven't completed yet) that's all I think. I know, not too shabby.

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:03-29-2005 at 08:48 PM: secret tags]
03-29-2005 at 05:04 PM
agaricus5
Dali wrote:
For 1 North: it's a nice room, but I saw for that we could kill three snakes without entering them in the 'L door'. If you didn't undderstand, I will show you with the room map because actually 'the Insert DROD Room image' is not working (I don't know even why).
Ah, yes. I see what you mean. It's not a horrendous bug, but trivial nonetheless. I can fix two out of the three serpents, but the small one is not in a large enough area to fiddle with.

Note (29/03/05): Bug fixed for 1.6/2.0

For 1S 1W: I can kill the serpent from the small 'entrance room'. Was that the intentional?
If you meant the entrance to the room, then it was sort of intentional. It's actually easier to do it with the roach (there's no horrible serpent manipulation involved if you do it like that), and it's only a connecting room, so it wasn't intended to be very difficult. I'll leave it as it is.

For level ... I found ...
:D . was it required to finish the level?( I haven't completed yet) that's all I think. I know, not too shabby.
Again, please could that be in secret tags? It is secret for a reason, you know.

It is purposefully not required, since it is a secret room, so if you didn't find it, it's not a massive problem.

Okay... 5 points, then.

03-29-2005 at 08:45 PM
Dali
Thank you for the 5 points!! I didn't know I would get them.
Yes sorry again for level 7: because until now I have never used the secret tags. Ok, thanks again!
03-30-2005 at 02:38 PM
agaricus5
Well, I've just released the new version for 1.6, so I guess this thread is now a bit obsolete, and the rank point distribution will no longer be in effect. Still, if you do find anything worthy of mention, then please post about it; I may still award them to you.

03-30-2005 at 06:52 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (+2)  
During the last couple of days (two to be exact) I've been playing Bavato's Dungeon again after a break of about 8 months (except for the occasional completion of a room every now and then; I stopped playing on level 7 (it was impossible to complete at the time) and during the 8 month period, I only progressed halfway through level 9 (I've currently got 3 rooms left to complete on L13)), and I must say (I think I've said it before) that this is a terrific hold!

However, despite the many attempts to eliminate all bugs and trivial solutions, there are still some (well, at least one) to be found:
There seems to be an extra invisibility potion that makes L13:1S6E quite trivial. Did you forget to take it away after testing the room?

Also, I found the maze to be a bit too easy (too deterministic, but perhaps it's inevitable).

04-27-2005 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
yyw
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (+1)  
L2 1S:
From the hintboard it seems that you

It is possible to solve it without.

L3 1N:
Seems unsolvable. I suspect the bottom orb is supposed to toggle the door it closes.
It is possible to solve (except for leaving) without chasing the clock.

04-28-2005 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali
yyw you must say which version you're using maybe, because there a sometimes modifications in levels.

you said it's possible without using
for L2 1S? I don't think. Maybe you used
04-29-2005 at 12:25 PM
agaricus5
yyw wrote:
L2 1S:
From the hintboard it seems that you

It is possible to solve it without.

In trying to be too clever, I accidentally broke the room again.

Thanks.

L3 1N:
Seems unsolvable. I suspect the bottom orb is supposed to toggle the door it closes.
It is possible to solve (except for leaving) without chasing the clock.
This will be fixed as well (Something went wrong during the manual copy from 2.0 to 1.6).

Stefan wrote:

However, despite the many attempts to eliminate all bugs and trivial solutions, there are still some (well, at least one) to be found:
There seems to be an extra invisibility potion that makes L13:1S6E quite trivial. Did you forget to take it away after testing the room?

I did indeed. Thanks.

I may probably make some sort of post warning about the upgrade to the hold at some point. I think people are getting fed up at my carelessness.

05-01-2005 at 06:26 PM
Dali
Hey agaricus5 tell me which version you're playing, Because normally in L2 1S is impossible without using
(In my version even don't know which one ). Also, I've completed All L3 that means I didn't found impossible rooms.

05-01-2005 at 07:18 PM
yyw
agaricus5 wrote:
This will be fixed as well (Something went wrong during the manual copy from 2.0 to 1.6).
Is that the broken door or the easy solution?
05-01-2005 at 08:14 PM
agaricus5
icon Re: Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (-1)  
yyw wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
It is intentionally vague :).

I shall fix the broken door by getting rid of it altogether, and hopefully the trivial solution (although it will require some testing).

05-01-2005 at 08:40 PM
yyw
agaricus5 wrote:
yyw wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
It is intentionally vague :).

I shall fix the broken door by getting rid of it altogether, and hopefully the trivial solution (although it will require some testing).

We must be referring to different doors or solutions ...
05-01-2005 at 08:46 PM
Dali
icon Re: Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (-1)  
All right thanks everyone.
I appreciate that people consider me in this forum like a ghost.
05-01-2005 at 09:16 PM
agaricus5
Dali wrote:
All right thanks everyone.
I appreciate that people consider me in this forum like a ghost.
Um...

Maybe you should consider why a person might seem to be ignoring you before actually accusing him or her of it.

I am highly disorganised at the moment with so many versions of this hold floating around, as well as being distracted by my guilt at having messed up this hold building and releasing process in such a spectacular fashion. So, I haven't had time to find out which version I'm using at present.

In response to the question, I believe the buggy version referred to is the latest one (Bavato55Final), which was updated just before the release of JtRH. I am hoping to get it fixed entirely when hold upgrading is allowed again.

05-01-2005 at 09:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Informal Testing for Bavato's Dungeon (An idea to use up my mod points)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com