Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Temple of Doom (My very first hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Strabo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
IP: Logged

File: Temple Of Doom.hold (17.7 KB)
Downloaded 106 times.
License: Other
icon Temple of Doom (+3)  
You may call it small, I call it compact.

I've downloaded several hold, but became frustrated because I couldn't complete most of them. (I couldn't get more than 10 moves in 'A Quiet Place') So I decided to make a relativly easy hold.

At least I think it's easy, but since I designed it, It's hard to for me to tell.

Unfortunatly, it may be so easy that it bores elite drod masters; such as yourselves. But please don't be too harsh on me, or I'll cry.

The point of this hold is to have as much variaty in a small space as possible.

Edit: New version with two more levels available here, Level 3, 1e is now solvable.

Edit: A new version! Wow! A new level added, and some of the less intersting puzzles have been removed or revamped.

[Edited by Strabo at Local Time:12-30-2004 at 12:45 PM]

[Edited by Strabo at Local Time:02-28-2005 at 05:52 PM]
12-27-2004 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Temple of Doom (+1)  
This was a nice diversion, although quite easy (but not too easy). Don't worry though, there is a demand for easier holds as well (not all people on this forum are elite drod masters, and drod masters do play easier holds every once in a while).

However, as almost all first attempts, it contains a few trivial solutions. I can send you my demos if you want something to watch (PM me), but here's my quick comments / bugreport:

The Entrance: I don't understand some of the scrolls. You can break the crumbly walls if you so wish, and I don't really see any need to hurry.

1S1E: Again, I don't understand the scroll. It's possible to take the north passage (through the tar), but it's easier to walk past the serpent.

3S1E: The multiple path idea was good, but I generally don't like to leave monsters behind... ;) Don't change it though, it's good as it is.

4S2E: It is clear what the intended solution is, but
Click here to view the secret text

4S1E: Both scrolls to the south confuse me. What's the hurry?

12-27-2004 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Yes! This is something I can finish! Not too hard, and really fun.

One comment first: Contrary to what Stefan says, I do understand all the scrolls. But then, he is a much better player than I am. :unsure

General comment about the hold: I like it a lot! Not too hard as well. Lots of mini puzzles! Cool! I did found 2 speeling misteeks: "wildst" in the description, and "roache" in a scroll in 1S1E. I would also suggest a savepoint in the last room (because I like it). For the most experts here this hold would be too easy, but it is something I like :)

Room specific comments:

Overall, a not so hard hold, and a cool diversion (for me anyways) :)

By the way, Why do you call it the upper level? Are there any more levels?

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:12-27-2004 at 10:51 PM]

12-27-2004 at 10:48 PM
Strabo
Stefan wrote:
This was a nice diversion, although quite easy (but not too easy). Don't worry though, there is a demand for easier holds as well (not all people on this forum are elite drod masters, and drod masters do play easier holds every once in a while).

However, as almost all first attempts, it contains a few trivial solutions. I can send you my demos if you want something to watch (PM me), but here's my quick comments / bugreport:

The Entrance: I don't understand some of the scrolls. You can break the crumbly walls if you so wish, and I don't really see any need to hurry.

1S1E: Again, I don't understand the scroll. It's possible to take the north passage (through the tar), but it's easier to walk past the serpent.

3S1E: The multiple path idea was good, but I generally don't like to leave monsters behind... ;) Don't change it though, it's good as it is.

4S2E: It is clear what the intended solution is, but

4S1E: Both scrolls to the south confuse me. What's the hurry?

The entrance: I find that if you fully break the crumbly walls, the bottom set of tar escapes and starts spawning tar babies, which is bad.
About the 'hurry' scroll, my intention was that is you don't kill all the evil eyes first, then it takes you too long to get to the tar mother, and it blocks the entrances leading to its room(Doh! I made the entrances too wide)

1S1E: I thought that it wasn't possible to go through the tar, because there were too many tar babies. The intention was that you had to get past the evil eyes in the first area as quickly as possible, or you'd be overwhelmed by tar babies, but itd doesn't seem to work quite right. I think I'll replace it with a serpent timer of some sort.

4S1E: The first 'hurry' scroll makes sense now, a small modifcation means you have to move as efficiently as possible to reach the first block of tar.

Edit: Should I put some of this as secret text?
And, yes, there was going to be another level, but I decided not to. Then, I recived enough positive feedback, so I'm working on another level now.

[Edited by Strabo at Local Time:12-28-2004 at 01:37 PM]
12-28-2004 at 01:26 PM
Strabo
Yay! Yay! Version 2 of 'Temple Of Doom' is out.
Now with added levels.

Edit: Doh! Level 3, 1e was unsolvable, I've fixed this. New hold can be dowloaded from the first post in this thread.

[Edited by Strabo at Local Time:12-30-2004 at 12:42 PM]
12-30-2004 at 12:41 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Temple of Doom (0)  
I'd suggest to put the attachment at the top of the page. Just makes it easier to find, that's all.

(Don't worry...I got this lecture in my first hold too :))

12-30-2004 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Strabo
icon Re: Temple of Doom (0)  
Yay, new update, yay. See first post.
03-04-2005 at 11:16 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Temple of Doom (My very first hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com