Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug/Feature Request: Monsters on walls/doors
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Bug/Feature Request: Monsters on walls/doors (0)  
The way the editor works with monsters on walls and doors is completly befuddling to me. And I did read the help - so I know this is intentional - but I really think it should be changed.

The problems are:
1 - "safety on" prevents monsters on walls and doors. I can't see why this should be so - tar on walls is a legitimate game combination, as are roaches on doors. I can see how a safety feature preventing you from overwriting stuff on one layer by things on the same layer is very useful, but why not allow putting monsters where they belong?

2 - On the other hand, you can put walls on monsters with the safety on - why allow it one way but not the other? Especially since, at least in my case, I'm far more likely to want to place the walls first and then cover them with tar than the reverse.

Most importantly:

3 - If the saftey is off, then walls under tar are invisible. If I make a tar covered room, I have to constantly switch the safety off (to place the tar), and then on again (to see what the layout is). That is just pointlessly difficult. Why not always show an outline of the wall under the tar (or at least tie it exclusively to the "show errors" option rather than to both options?)

06-15-2003 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Bug/Feature Request: Monsters on walls/doors (0)  
Ok, I've got even more confusion now after a bit more experimentation -

While the editor makes it quite difficult to place monsters on walls/doors (where they can be), it has no problem placing arrows on walls and doors, safety on or not. And when I try to place an arrow on a door, it asks me whether to erase door agents or not.

06-15-2003 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Bug/Feature Request: Monsters on walls/doors (0)  
eytanz wrote:
3 - If the saftey is off, then walls under tar are invisible. If I make a tar covered room, I have to constantly switch the safety off (to place the tar), and then on again (to see what the layout is). That is just pointlessly difficult...
Yeah, that's to discourage players from making rooms with walls under tar. Nah, just kidding. :D I agree with everything you've posted here so far. This logic needs to be tightened down better. (Arrows are legal on doors and walls...pretty much anywhere.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-15-2003 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Bug/Feature Request: Monsters on walls/doors (0)  
mrimer wrote:
(Arrows are legal on doors and walls...pretty much anywhere.)
No...I thought Erik decided that those two combinations are illegal in DROD...

06-15-2003 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Re: Bug/Feature Request: Monsters on walls/doors (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
mrimer wrote:
(Arrows are legal on doors and walls...pretty much anywhere.)
No...I thought Erik decided that those two combinations are illegal in DROD...

Arrows on walls are totally pointless (at least until we have monsters that can walk through walls), but arrows on doors can be useful - in fact, I use one of these in my work-in-progress hold.

06-15-2003 at 11:18 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Bug/Feature Request: Monsters on walls/doors (0)  
eytanz wrote:
Arrows on walls are totally pointless (at least until we have monsters that can walk through walls), but arrows on doors can be useful - in fact, I use one of these in my work-in-progress hold.
Oooh...sounds interesting...

Don't you think that level creating is soooo much fun? :D

06-16-2003 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bug/Feature Request: Monsters on walls/doors
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com