Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : DROD Survivor (Vote your peers out of the dungeon! (Game On!))
Page 3 of 8
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD Survivor (0)  
I'm usually around from THIS time plus 2 hours to in about 14 hours time.

01-11-2005 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
I'm normally available from 17:30-22:30GMT on weekdays, and 11:00-22:30GMT on weekends.

[Edited by Fafnir at Local Time:01-11-2005 at 05:45 PM]

01-11-2005 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: DROD Survivor (+2)  
It's been known for ages that Mimics and Goblins have been among the worst of enemies. Their rivalry has existed for so long that nobody quite remembers how it got started in the first place.

Recently a group of Eighth archeologists, searching for tombs of royal Dugan ancestry, accidentally stumbled on some historical evidence explaining the nature of the relationship between the Mimics and the Goblins. They found two large stone tablets buried beneath the earth, and upon each was chiseled the name of the two opposing factions.

"Holy smokes!" cried one archeologist. "These tablets tell us exactly how the bad blood between the Mimics and the Goblins came to be!"

"Hold on a minute," said another. "These tablets tell two completely different stories. One of them must be a fabrication!"

The archeologists huddled around the tablets, bickering about what should be done with them. Ultimately, they decided that as archeologists, they were responsible for uncovering truthful history, and that the only way to do that would be to destroy the tablet that they deemed to be false. While the beefiest of the bunch returned to the tent to fetch a sledgehammer, the rest of them read the tablets and held an open vote on which one would be saved.

Tribal Immunity #3

Okay, while we get this whole "who's available when" thing figured out, here's a challenge that isn't going to have a time limit. Both tribes will have to tell us what exactly was written on their tribe's tablet. Each member of each tribe will write no more than 200 words of what appears on their tribe's tablet, continuing from what the previous member of their tribe had written. So essentially one person will start it, the next three will continue it, and the last person will conclude it. No person will write more than one section, and if your section goes over 200 words, I will ask you to trim it down.

Remember, these tablets explain why exactly your tribe hates the other tribe. Don't worry about what the other tribe writes, since the two tablets are not expected to tell the same story.

When you write a section of your tablet, please start your post with a header such as "Goblin Tablet Section 2" or something along those lines.

When both tribes have their tablets completed (no time limit), I will compile the two of them and post them in a poll, where anybody on the board will be allowed to vote on which one is the better one. It goes without saying that it is in your best interest to vote for your own tablet. The poll will be run for a few days or so. The tribe recieving the most votes will not have their tablet smashed by the archeologists and will win immunity for this round. In case of a tie, I will be the deciding vote.

Ooh, this is going to be a fun round. I'm looking forward to it. Good luck!

01-11-2005 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
What sort of criteria will be used to determine 'best'? Are you after humour or melodrama, or do you want it to be a simple report? I realise you're not the one judging it (except in case of a tie) but I presume you'll be giving the voters some guidelines, e.g. whether to vote for entertainment value over authenticity, that sort of thing.

As far as team strategy goes, since we aren't working under I time limit, I think we should work this out carefully. While I assume tablets written by one person and posted by the tribe will be penalised appropriately, that's no reason not to plan the outline of how we're going to do it and who's going to write what parts. We've got a great team - we just have to make sure we're working with each other. For example, it's obviously not going to help if someone starts off the story in a style that the rest of us find difficult to continue or something. How about a brainstorming session on IRC or something similar, or alternatively maybe just an exchange of ideas through private messaging?

Excellent idea for a challenge, by the way!

01-11-2005 at 09:41 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Maybe Schik could open two temporary boards for this game, one just for Mimics and one for Goblins until the teams coalese into one. Alternatively, two team-only threads could be set up for this challenge, although I'm not sure if that's possible.

Edit: This, I agree is a really cool challenge.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-11-2005 at 11:27 PM]

01-11-2005 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
In regards to the criteria, I don't think I'm going to make any strict guidelines to follow. The tablets should at least be entertaining (this doesn't neccessarily mean it has to be written humorously) and it should be believable (or as believable as DROD writing can be). Remember, the voters are archeologists deciding which one tells the true story, which could be the most important criteria if you want it to be.

But anyhow, I certainly encourage planning this out through PMs or something before you write it. Part of what I'm trying to do in the tribal rounds of the game is encourage teamwork. Oh, and I should note that after this challenge, there will only be two more tribal challenges before the tribes merge together and everything becomes individual.

01-12-2005 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If the rest of the mimics are interested, I can create a mailing list for us that we can use to communicate.

Please pm me with your email address if you want me to do so.

01-12-2005 at 12:09 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I'm online and offline regularly throughout the day (MST). I can plan for participating in a contest at about any time, as long as I receive several hours advanced warning.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-12-2005 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
I'm online practically all day (East coast USA time). I'm generally available, though if I have a lot of work to do I may be less responsive.

01-12-2005 at 01:10 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: DROD Survivor (+1)  
Goblins - check your PMs. I sent a possible plot for our story.

01-12-2005 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Only two mimics sent me their email addresses; if the other two will do so I can set up the list, otherwise we should figure out some other means of organizing this challenge...

01-14-2005 at 03:41 AM
RoboBob3000
I don't want this game to get swallowed up by the void. If group organization isn't going well, then I suggest you all write it on the fly. I"m not trying to rush you, I'm just...

Okay, I'm trying to rush you.

01-14-2005 at 10:33 PM
RoboBob3000
Okay, here's my ultimatum. I'm not going to shave until I see some results for this challenge.

Whether or not I become a bearded man now lies squarely on your shoulders.

01-16-2005 at 06:37 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I'm not sure that's going to motivate us in the direction that you would like :-)

01-16-2005 at 09:01 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
stigant wrote:
I'm not sure that's going to motivate us in the direction that you would like :-)
He's only joking. Besides, we won't have any proof... :oldtimer

01-17-2005 at 12:31 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Tim wrote:
stigant wrote:
He's only joking. Besides, we won't have any proof... :oldtimer
Well, it is pretty obvious it could be sarcasm, but then again, it may be that he does have an inclination towards bodily negligence, in which case, it would be quite amusing.

I'll post a PM to everyone on the team with a sample idea to continue the story (from stigant's idea), and an example of Fafnir's suggestion (if I have the time to make something like that up) if no-one else on the team has done so by 18:00-19:00 tomorrow.

01-17-2005 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Just to make sure it worked - did any mimics get my email?

01-17-2005 at 07:43 PM
RoboBob3000
If you all want, I can move on to another challenge instead.

(Yes, this post is mainly a bump.)

01-20-2005 at 07:19 AM
eytanz
I hate to say it (because I liked the idea of the challenge), but I believe that challenges that require less preperation, organization, and especially time, are more suited to the format of this game.

01-20-2005 at 11:36 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I'd be fine with ditching this challenge and starting a new one.

So how's that beard coming? ;)

01-20-2005 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Beard: Shaved

Challenge: To be replaced. Stay tuned.

01-20-2005 at 07:19 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
(just a suggestion, since you went through the effort of setting up the challenge and people started prepping and making mailing lists, you may still want to make it the challenge, say, 2 challenges down the line? (while there are still teams, of course). as long as you mentioned that, say, nowish, it would give people something to do (current challenges/voting), while also working on a good idea for the future. "but what if bob is voted off aftering writing a lot for the tablet?" eh. things happen, as it were. not like if someone had a really good idea they might not mail it someone else, anyway)

01-20-2005 at 07:33 PM
RoboBob3000
New Immunity Challenge #3!

You guys know the rules for Rock Paper Scissors, right? In a nutshell, two people facing off choose one of the three options. Rock beats Scissors, Scissors beats Paper, and Paper beats Rock. This challenge is sort of an experiment of mine to apply an element of strategy to this entirely luck based game.

To begin, each player must PM me with three sets of three decisions for the game. I expect your message to look something like this, for example:

RRP
SPR
PSR

Once everybody has sent me these sets, I will compile a list of 15 sets of three for each team and post them in this thread. They will be seen publicly! One of the lists will be your team's pool of options to choose from. I'll explain.

Each set in your pool will be set up against another set from the other team's pool. Each will represent three consecutive games of R-P-S. If one team chooses SSR and the other team chooses RRP, that particular match would go like this:

S vs R Team 2 scores
S vs R Team 2 scores
R vs P Team 1 scores
Round won by Team 2

Basically, if your set scores more victories than the other, your team wins the round. Ties, obviously, don't go toward either team. Essentially, each set on your list will win against some of the other team's, lose against some of them, and tie with others.

Are you still with me, or have I lost you? I'll keep trudging on.

Once a set has been used from your list, it can't be used again, so there will only be 15 rounds played over the course of the game before a winner is chosen. The team that wins the most rounds wins immunity. If there is a tie at the end, the tie breaker goes to the team that won the first round.

At the very start of the game, a representative from either team will post their first set hidden in a timed reveal tag. The representative from the other team should make sure that their timed reveal tag matches the first one, so the sets will be revealed at the same time. When the sets are revealed, it will hopefully be clear who wins the round. If not, the process will be repeated until a winner is achieved.

The team that wins the first round will earn the serve. The team with the serve will be responsible for being the first to post a set publicly in the next round, giving the other team the opportunity to respond. The serve always belongs to the last team to win a round.

I hope this all makes sense and that I didn't leave anything out. I'll answer any questions you have, and I'll be expecting your PM's.

01-21-2005 at 08:14 PM
RoboBob3000
Okay, we're getting there. I've got four so far.

Edit: We're up to nine! One left!

[Edited by RoboBob3000 at Local Time:01-23-2005 at 03:49 AM]

01-22-2005 at 10:31 PM
RoboBob3000
If I don't see that last set by this evening, I'm going to make it randomly so we can get on with this game. I'll be fair. I'll flip my three-sided coin.

01-23-2005 at 08:14 PM
Fafnir
Might I recommend this site? Just set integers to 3, smallest value to 1, largest to 3 and hit Get Numbers. The nifty thing is that it's based on atmospheric noise, so it's true randomness (as opposed to a generator that relies on a numerical seed).

01-23-2005 at 10:17 PM
RoboBob3000
Sweet site! It ordered them in columns for me too!

Okay, here are the lists:

Moved to page 4 for convenience.

So at this point, I need someone from either tribe to post their first set hidden in a timed reveal tag with a time limit of about six hours or so. Hopefully at least one person from the other tribe will see it and post their tribe's set in another timed reveal tag set to reveal at the same time as the first before the first one expires. If that happens, we'll just do it again.

Oh! One more tiny rule before we begin. No single player can post more than three sets in a row for their tribe. This is just to everybody can get into the mix. If you have any questions, now would be the time to ask. Good luck!

[Edited by RoboBob3000 at Local Time:01-25-2005 at 08:08 AM]

01-23-2005 at 11:37 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Well, we may as well get this thing going (first few rounds will be pretty random, anyway):

PPR.

Edit - well, the goblins don't seem to be turning up.. lets try this again. I'm putting it forward around 12 hours.

[Edited by TripleM at Local Time:01-24-2005 at 05:27 AM]
01-24-2005 at 12:06 AM
RoboBob3000
Drat. Well, try again. Maybe use a longer time limit this time.

01-24-2005 at 05:20 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
So I select one of our fifteen sets for the first round, right? Here goes...

PPP

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:01-24-2005 at 03:31 PM: changed choice cuase I posted the reveal time wrong]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-24-2005 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 8
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : DROD Survivor (Vote your peers out of the dungeon! (Game On!))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com