Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum Bug Adventures: Phantom Cookie Battle!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged
icon Forum Bug Adventures: Phantom Cookie Battle! (0)  
I'm still having problems logging in here at the forum, with having to delete the cookies first to be able to log in. Also, when viewing posts, the 'new posts' indicator doesn't always update, and sometimes it snaps "back in time" to what it was before, after having been updated.

For example, i see a topic has new posts, go read it, return to the index, and see the 'new posts' indicator from the topic i came from is off. Then i read another topic and do some other things, and later return to the index to see the 'new posts' indicator from that topic from before beaming towards me again. I go read it, and see there's no new posts.

I think i've figured out the reason for this behaviour. According to my browser, there's two sets of cookies for the forum - one is from drod.net, and the other is from www.drod.net. The LastActive cookies compete, and which one wins seems to be slightly random. The UserName cookies also compete, and if the UserName cookie from drod.net somehow gets set, it logs me out, keeps me from logging in again, and records the username as Guest. If i just delete the 'drod.net' cookies and keep the www.drod.net' cookies, everything is bliss for a while until they get set again.

So, now the question is: Is this a bug in my browser (Mozilla/Phoenix 0.5), or is it a bug in the forum software ?
06-15-2003 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5416
icon Re: Forum Bug Adventures: Phantom Cookie Battle! (0)  
I looked into this a little in the forum software, and all of the cookies are done via one function, so it seems weird that you're seeing them under two different names.

Hmm... wait a sec. Do you sometimes type in www.drod.net/forum and other times drod.net/forum? Or have it bookmarked one way and sometimes visit a different way? I just tried and I can get IE to create two different cookies depending on which I go to.

Try to only use one of the names for a while and see if that helps.

06-17-2003 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Ah, that's it! Wohoo!

I usually just type drod.net, but the forum changes it to www.drod.net after the first page. I'll go bookmark it now :D

- G

06-17-2003 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5416
I've slightly modified the cookie code to try to get rid of some of the problems people have with it. Now you can go to drod.net or www.drod.net, it won't matter - they'll both use the same cookie.

Note that this is not an attempt to add any new features or fix any bugs mentioned in the "Forum feature requests" thread.

So... if anybody has any new cookie problems they didn't have before, let me know.

Testing

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:04-11-2005 at 10:24 PM]

07-02-2003 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum Bug Adventures: Phantom Cookie Battle!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com