Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Fewer points for spell solution as mage? (Heroine's Quest) (Alternate solution MORE in line with class identity gave FEWER points)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Muzozavr
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Fewer points for spell solution as mage? (Heroine's Quest) (0)  
Extremely long time no see. :P

Playing Heroine's Quest right now and just got to act 3, but I'm a little confused on how the "enter the svartalf town" puzzle gives its points.

Solving it as normal gives 3 points as expected, but if you're a sorceress, you may have a different solution at hand:

Click here to view the secret text

Now this is really cool to have as an alternate solution, except it gives 0 points. Now, I wouldn't want it to be the best solution -- getting the right spell is a bit luck-dependent and if you don't have it, you can't really know in advance that this is how to find it... unless there's an alternate source I don't know about? Anyway, I'm perfectly fine with "pls solve the crystals you dingus" being enough for all 3 classes, but surely a sorceress that used magic instead should also get 3 points?

Wonderful game so far, really gets that 90s adventure vibe.

[Last edited by Muzozavr at 08-20-2024 08:07 PM]
08-20-2024 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Fewer points for spell solution as mage? (Heroine's Quest) (0)  
Well done on finding this!

The funny thing is I'd never considered that solution. But due to the way HQ is coded, often combinations of effects work anyway even if they weren't considered. And this is one. I agree that it should give points (but currently, only solving the puzzle does). I may fix that if and when we do an update.

The first example that comes to mind is
Click here to view the secret text

08-20-2024 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Muzozavr
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Fewer points for spell solution as mage? (Heroine's Quest) (0)  
Wait, wait, that wasn't intended? Are you saying it's literally just hotspots and their interactions?

Well, what can I say, your code has accidentally introduced a pretty marvelous little extra! :thumbsup

I solved it the normal way first, but "first" is when I idiotically entered Svarftalheim without a particular spell and without healing potions, let's just say I was NOT winning that fight... even if I'm CERTAIN a perfect no-hit series of dodges is possible, I'm just not good enough at it. (The giants aren't much less dangerous now, anyway...)

Reloaded to get a bit more resources first, and this time I got different random encounter luck, meaning I now did have the spell. Tried on a whim to see if it worked, and it actually did, just without points. :D Even if accidental, it's pretty cool how the game behaves in an almost simulationist fashion at times, gives it a deeper feel.
08-20-2024 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Fewer points for spell solution as mage? (Heroine's Quest) (Alternate solution MORE in line with class identity gave FEWER points)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com