Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Aerosol Agitation (nonsense titles, simple build)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1584
IP: Logged

File: Aerosol Agitation .drh (6.4 KB)
Downloaded 7 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Aerosol Agitation (+3)  
Looking back at my excessively large pile of unfinished projects, I was reminded of Promethius&Demetrius, still missing its final level :(. I thought "hey, it'd be nice to actually finish that, right?" But I needed some warm-up and de-rust as far as building and playing RPG goes. So, this is the result of an attempt at some of that.

Basic idea:
-Fairly simple build with low scripting, no custom monsters
-Nonsensical word combinations as level/hold title, other nonsense in level descriptions

Currently this has 2 levels; you can't go back from level 2 to level 1. I may add a third later with the same kind of rule, but we'll see. I'd just like a little feedback on how I'm doing with this build overall, and of course I'm happy to eventually publish this if it seems good enough to do so. Also, I'd like some feedback on whether having a scorepoint for each blue door is meaningful, or if I should maybe cut it down to just some of them (and which ones).

P.S.: This was built in RPG 1.2.8, the most recent version in the "downloads" page, rather than one of the ultra-new beta versions, so that it actually can be HA'd and posted once it's done. P&D is actually kind of "stuck" in one of those beta versions even though I don't think it uses any of their features...but at least I learned my lesson since the last time I "just built something".

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-26-2024 04:13 PM]
07-02-2024 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4704
icon Re: Aerosol Agitation (+1)  
Soulless killed:
HP 1081, ATK 48, DEF 26

Swordsman killed:
HP 892, ATK 103, DEF 43 (score 666!)

Fun little hold so far; the gimmick rewarding leaving powerups behind for later works well, although the four free large potions in Level 1 Entrance mean that it's pretty easy to power forward until reaching the x4 multiplier to maximise ATK gains.

Definitely feels at the end that the gimmick is not yet exhausted and there should be at least another level.

07-02-2024 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Aerosol Agitation (0)  
Thanks for taking a look! At least partially based on your feedback, I tweaked some things and got to work on a 3rd level. So..

Update:
-Potion reduction in level 1's entrance room
-A bunch of aesthetic changes (hopefully for the better?)
-Third level is started, not finished. I consider the part up to the blue door "tentatively built", at least. You can see a slayer in 2S, but that's just a placeholder for where the boss will be; I doubt player stats will be enough to fight a real slayer.

07-03-2024 at 05:39 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1333
icon Re: Aerosol Agitation (+3)  
Soulless Killed:
HP 330, ATK 60, DEF 24

Swordsman Killed:
HP 220, ATK 116, DEF 42, 1YKEY, 1GKEY
HP 304, ATK 118, DEF 42, 1GKEY

(These are two different routes - on one I got the attack gem in L1 with the greckles from killing the Soulless, on the other I didn't. The first route can take 1000 HP for a yellow key, and both routes can take 5 ATK for a green key.)

Is it intentional that it costs 100 greckles to walk on top of the black door? That's cheaper than using a YKEY to open them.

Super great start!
07-03-2024 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
You know what, I hadn't thought of that. I'd been using that spot in the exact opposite way in my playthroughs, opening the black door to make buying a yellow key cheaper. But I'm fine with saving a key that way. Maybe I could make the area with the button that opens the black doors slightly more attractive though, such as with a larger or additional health potion? Hmm.

07-03-2024 at 10:29 PM
Someone Else
Your way is actually strictly better than mine... so it's not a problem.
07-04-2024 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Update:
Level 3 has its "second half" built, including a boss. I think the end section is a bit stingier overall, but it should be beatable. All of my testing so far ignored the probably-very-lucrative strategy of holding onto some keys rather than spending them all before going down each stairs.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-04-2024 03:52 AM]
07-04-2024 at 03:50 AM
Someone Else
Rock Giant (I could probably optimize this further, but it's late):
HP: 2503, ATK: 192, DEF: 126, 1YKEY

This seems like an appropriate endpoint. Quality!
07-04-2024 at 06:36 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
icon Re: Aerosol Agitation (+2)  
Xindaris wrote:
This was built in RPG 1.2.8, the most recent version in the "downloads" page, rather than one of the ultra-new beta versions, so that it actually can be HA'd and posted once it's done. P&D is actually kind of "stuck" in one of those beta versions even though I don't think it uses any of their features...but at least I learned my lesson since the last time I "just built something".
I apologize for taking so long to "officially release" the 1.2.9 build. It's on my radar, and I appreciate your and everyone's patience.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-06-2024 at 05:43 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2793
icon Re: Aerosol Agitation (+6)  
Here's my commentary playthrough.

07-08-2024 at 09:49 PM
Xindaris
Thanks a ton for taking a look and making a video! I have to admit, I was eagerly hoping you would.

Some responses below...

The text is all supposed to be weird and semi-nonsensical, including the hold name, level names, and entrance texts. There's also an overall theme of yellow and green keys "meaning" something different in each level, with the first one just using them normally, the second using yellows to sort of restrict how you can traverse the 4 path options, and the third using greens for progress, all of which hopefully makes saving up keys for later levels more meaningful.

I have no idea why the level 2 map seemed to not work at first for you; it does have a full-reveal script exactly like level 1 and 3. It didn't even do what a vanilla map is supposed to (as in, show the level's shape)! It seemed like the map properly revealed itself after you reloaded, but I don't know why it didn't immediately show up--some kind of bug, I guess?

I do think level 3 could use a few more yellow doors with stuff behind them, to incentivize having yellow keys (and possibly spending a green on 2 yellows). That level is pretty tough overall, I feel, so a little more help could be nice. It looks like there's some physical space to put some of that in 1S1W, 1S1E.

For whatever reason, I feel like it's easier for me to design RPG levels if there's some kind of gimmick that introduces ambiguity throughout the whole level. Like, normally if there's an attack gem that you can pick up right now, you always should; I enjoy making even "free" stats a choice instead. Messing with the multiplier mid-level is an easy such gimmick; P&D instead makes it a decision of who gets the stat.

EDIT/UPDATE:
Some alterations to the last "phase" of level 3, namely a few more places to spend keys, and one other minor modification to 1S1W to add a tiny extra option that wasn't there before.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-11-2024 07:35 PM]
07-11-2024 at 07:25 PM
Xindaris

File: score.PNG (140.7 KB)
Downloaded 143 times.
Alright, I've made a couple more test runs with the latest version and I think I'm quite happy with how this has turned out. My end-of-hold score is in the secret below if you're curious. I think I'm about ready to HA this, so I'll wait a little bit longer in case someone has any further comments/suggestions/finds further issues or such.

07-15-2024 at 07:40 PM
Xindaris
Okay, and this has been submitted!

07-26-2024 at 04:15 PM
Xindaris

File: AA Guide.txt (5.1 KB)
Downloaded 4 times.
icon Re: Aerosol Agitation (+3)  
A walkthrough for the HA's. Probably not optimal, but it works.

08-27-2024 at 01:29 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Aerosol Agitation (nonsense titles, simple build)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com