Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Crash on room exit in TCB (Steam 5.1.1.539)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kalin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 194
IP: Logged
icon Crash on room exit in TCB (+2)  
This appears to be a different crash than what was fixed in 544/550 (no NPCs trying to pathfind in this room).

Steam 5.1.1.539 is reliably (three times) crashing when trying to leave TCB:aGEV:2N1W after earning the achievement. Steam saved the achievement, but DROD did not (nor the demo). Nothing new in drod.err.

I've now done the room three times, and exited DROD after earning challenge but without leaving the room. Leaving still crashes, but the challenge has saved (along with the challenge demo).

Then I tried waiting for the bomb to explode before leaving, and it didn't crash. Then I restored to the checkpoint (two aumtlich left alive) and it's not crashing from there either.
11-12-2023 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
icon Re: Crash on room exit in TCB (+1)  
I've had crashes on leaving rooms, too, with no obvious cause. This has generally happened when testing Entry Point. When it's happened, I've been able to restore from an earlier checkpoint and have everything work fine.
11-12-2023 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Rank Points: 215
icon Re: Crash on room exit in TCB (0)  
I have recently noticed this seems to be related to burning fuses. Maybe animation related?
01-07-2024 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tonyk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: Crash on room exit in TCB (+2)  
I have had this recently as well not just in TCB but other rooms in JtRH.

I discovered that disconnecting from Caravel Net fixed the crashing in some persistent cases.

[Last edited by tonyk at 01-18-2024 08:00 AM]
01-18-2024 at 07:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tonyk
bbb wrote:
I have recently noticed this seems to be related to burning fuses. Maybe animation related?

I noticed this as well on some of my recent crashes. Maybe it will help track down the issue.

01-22-2024 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1072
For this issue, can people include whether they are using the Steam or non-Steam version of the game. It may be important.

It would also be useful to include information about what room you were leaving when the game crashed, if you were playing a published hold.

(bonus points are available for anyone who provides a sample hold that allows the problem to be consistently reproduced)

01-22-2024 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tonyk
icon Re: Crash on room exit in TCB (+2)  
Morning hyperme.

For me it is the Steam version (GatEB).

One room that has given me regular crashes is JtRH L11 5N. The room has a bunch of fuse ends. The crash occurs when moving to the nearby West exit when entering from the South.

I'm on Steam Deck so a sample hold is a bit more of a challenge. I'll see if I can get setup to enable doing that more efficiently.

I'd also be happy to try a non-Steam linux build but I don't see one in my downloads list (latest is 5.1.0.6513) and no patches are listed for linux.

[Last edited by tonyk at 01-23-2024 11:17 PM]
01-22-2024 at 08:29 PM
bbb
icon Re: Crash on room exit in TCB (+4)  
I compile DROD myself.

I can verify that the issue is related to burning fuses. If I modify "CGameScreen::ProcessFuseBurningEvents" to return immediately, it doesn't crash. That isn't a solution, because then you can't identify burning fuses anymore, but the game works. Digging deeper leads to the "CSparkEffect" class followed by "CParticleExplosionEffect".

Once I knew what I was looking for in-game, the bug seems to appear in every room with a burning fuse, though sometimes the room switch succeeds, though not consistently.

My guess is that there is a race condition where the fuse burning animation checks that the room is still shown, the room disappears, and then the animation is activated.

[Last edited by bbb at 01-28-2024 06:18 AM : remove emoticons]
01-28-2024 at 06:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
I've had crashes occur in rooms without burning fuses.

However, now that I think about it, some of the other rooms where I've had crashes recently had aumtlich in them. Maybe there's an issue with their beams as well?
01-28-2024 at 07:32 AM
bbb
It wouldn't surprise me, since they have similar animation effects.

Having said that, I just tried a few rooms from Down the Grimmish Hole, and did not run into any crashes.

In any case, there is an issue with burning fuses, which we can try fix. And if it happens again, post in which room.
01-28-2024 at 08:02 AM
hyperme
icon Re: Crash on room exit in TCB (+3)  
Aumtlich and fuses both use the same underlying game effect to generate the little orange sparks, so if one is broken the other has to be as well.

bbb's research suggests the problem goes a little deeper, however. CParticleExplosionEffect is the base effect for the sparks, along with various other "splatter" effects, such as blood and wall debris. I'm guessing the problem is happening specifically with sparks because those get constantly generated, as opposed to the others which get created in a single burst.

01-28-2024 at 11:56 AM
Kalin
Rank Points: 194
I don't know if this is related, but for years I've been bothered by an issue where I start a fuse burning, then undo/restore to before the fuse was lit, and the sound keeps playing.

I play with music and voices muted, so fuses are the only continuous sound I hear.
01-28-2024 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
I've seen this crash happen repeatedly in the "Sinking Feeling" entry of the current contest, but only in rooms with Aumtlich beams.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 02-03-2024 06:57 AM]
02-03-2024 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
I haven't checked deeply, but I think the crashes also appear when there are both aumtlich and fuses, even if the fuses are not burning.
02-04-2024 at 08:37 PM
Dragon Fogel
Just going to note that I think the crash may involve leaving the room with your sword offscreen. I'm not sure on this, but I just got a crash now while testing Entry Point (the specific room is Crumbling Keep 1N) and when it first happened I left to the north with sword facing northwest, but then I restored, left the room, did it again with my sword facing south and got no crash.

I haven't done extensive testing, though, so I'm not completely sure on this. It is a possible explanation for the inconsistency in triggering the crash, though, as people might easily change sword position without thinking of it as a meaningful change.
02-21-2024 at 04:51 PM
hyperme

File: drod_exceptions.zip (1.6 MB)
Downloaded 2 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Crash on room exit in TCB (+3)  
Since I can't seem to reproduce this bug, I'm go to try a different approach to find it.

I've attached a version of 5.1.1.550 with some extra error logging enabled, which might catch some extra details. It's otherwise identical to the regular release. (although it has a different name to make it easier to use)

When DROD crashs, it should hopefully add more details in the drod.err file. It might even be useful information.

words for other developers:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by hyperme at 04-25-2024 10:05 AM]
04-25-2024 at 10:05 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Crash on room exit in TCB (Steam 5.1.1.539)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com