Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Elemental shields
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4596
IP: Logged
icon Elemental shields (+3)  
To go with the new custom weakness feature, why not allow shields to have _MyWeakness (or Behaviour Goblin/Wyrm weakness)? Naturally, this would double the player's DEF against monsters with the relevant aspect.

10-18-2023 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Elemental shields (0)  
Or, alternatively, halfing it.

10-19-2023 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1073
icon Re: Elemental shields (+2)  
Shields have always been a weird one in teams of the weakness system, but if the people want it, it can happen.

The reason I didn't do this initially is because doubling DEF seems like it would be a lot stronger than doubling ATK, but it is a fairly obvious benefit for a shield to grant against monsters it's strong against. The other effect I considered was that it halves the amount of damage taken after DEF is applied. Somewhat more complex, but it might be more useful.

Making having a weakness value on shields have a detrimental effect is something I'm not in favour of. Mostly because it would be inconsistent with weapons and accessories, but also because I don't think it leads to fun gameplay (too much equipment swapping is annoying).

10-19-2023 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Elemental shields (+1)  
I'll throw in my vote for doubling effective defense if on a shield. Its true that defense doesnt suffer diminishing returns like attack and so doubling effective defense is way more powerful, but I trust architects to use it appropriately on a sufficiently hard-hitting phylum of monsters.

Although this does result in some ambiguity around accessories. If swords double attack against that phylum, and shields double defense, what should accessories do? I don't think theres an intuitive answer.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-19-2023 04:11 PM]
10-19-2023 at 04:10 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1073
I think it's broadly fine if accessories just give the double ATK effect when fighting an appropriate monster. Currently it's okay since shields don't do anything with weaknesses, but future ambiguity can always be addressed in the help content.

EDIT: A niche extra ability for shields that are strong against a monster is that they could cancel out the effect of "No enemy defense" against an appropriate monster, but without the DEF doubling. If the shield also has "No enemy defense", the two effects stack and the normal DEF boost is also applied.

[Last edited by hyperme at 10-19-2023 09:41 PM]
10-19-2023 at 04:29 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
PR

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-11-2023 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Elemental shields
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com