Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Should I bother making a hold yet? (Or do I...hold out for JtRH)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Should I bother making a hold yet? (0)  
...I feel bad making that pun, but the point stands.
12-14-2004 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Should I bother making a hold yet? (0)  
Absolutely.

It depends on how fast and how large you want your hold to be though.

Looking at the progress, I can't believe JtRH will be finished before the end of March.

Can you make a hold before then?
(I hope you do.)

I can. ;) (It will not be very large hold though...)

-- Tim

12-14-2004 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I think you should have fun and make a hold before JtRH because waiting is boring and it might take a while before it's out. And you'll get better at it only by making something.

I'm personally holding back until it and trying to make some ideas for my future hold already to get a good start when JtRH is ready. But that's just me...
12-14-2004 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Why not start building now to get some ideas delved into the Eighth?

You can then release versions to test the rooms while we wait for JtRH, but when it does finally come out, you can then start a new version in JtRH and incorporate the rooms from the pre-JtRH version into it.

12-15-2004 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
I started building a hold in 1.6. with a sequel in mind for JTRH.
But I got corrupted data (DROD would not start, re-installed it and lost it all). It was huge! I have all the rooms in place, and about half the puzzles.

Now I am sad, so I will just have to build the sequel (I aint putting myself through that again!).

My question is though, can I start building the layout of the hold in 1.6, then import this structure into JTRH. Then can I add JTRH elements??

Also, can you make a room 'as big as you want'?

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
12-15-2004 at 12:43 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Any hold built in DROD:AE will be importable into JtRH, and as a general rule should work the same (though there could be exceptions involving brains in some very specific situations, so it's a good idea to replay the rooms once they're imported). Once in JtRH, you can add whatever elements you want.

Rooms in JtRH are exactly the same size as rooms in DROD:AE.

12-15-2004 at 01:24 PM
geomatrx
Cool!

I'll probably just build hold 'layout' first, then import this to JTRH. Then I'll design how each room plays.

Thanks for clearing that up.

MetDROiD Echoes
12-15-2004 at 02:30 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Just curious, are you still making that metDROiD thing or something else?
12-15-2004 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Unfortunatly, it WAS the metDROiD hold! Im really pissed off about it.

I had revised the 'door code' thing, some of the rooms moved around and everything. Had completed the final three 'levels', and was about ready to do an export of it. However, the next time I tried to open DROD, I got an hour glass, then nothing happened. My CPU was running at 1oo% and I had to end task. The data files were about 9-10 MB. I stupidly re-installed DROD without backing up these files, so when I started it up again, it just though it was a new version.

Was a little disappointed, cause the install file doesn't tell you something like 'if you are installing this over a previous version, all data will be lost! Continue?'

But obviously my fault! But this may be a helpful adition to the install file for future releases??

[Edited by geomatrx at Local Time:12-15-2004 at 02:51 PM]

MetDROiD Echoes
12-15-2004 at 02:49 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
So you have nothing saved at all? If you just had some hold file that you couldn't access because it thought you were a new person, one of the programmers would be able to "unlock" it so that you could access your hold again. But perhaps everything was lost. Sorry, man.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-15-2004 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
geomatrx
Yeah, I had a couple of holds saved, but were only about 50% of the layout done. I still got it, but were talking about 6-12 months work iv'e lost (taking into account the times when I 'dont feel like it tonight').

If I start a new layout now, in about 6 months, JTRH will be out. i can import the layout there, and start with some new puzzles/themed areas. The project is bigger than the first anyways.

Iv'e lost 2 other holds in similar fashion. Its all in the learning I guess :)

MetDROiD Echoes
12-15-2004 at 05:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Should I bother making a hold yet? (Or do I...hold out for JtRH)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com