Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS crashes during epilogue (After hold mastery)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
terrafire123
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon TSS crashes during epilogue (After hold mastery) (+4)  
During one of the Epilogue cutscenes, the game crashes. More specifically, Immediately after Beethro says the voice line "Our new home!", the screen slowly fades to black, and then the game crashes without an error (The program just turns off).
(If it helps, this is my very first time seeing "good ending" epilogue of TSS, as I just mastered the hold. Could it be related to some kind of Steam Achievement or Carvel.net bug?)

Expected result:
Game not to crash during the epilogue, and instead... unlock post-game content? Return to the main? Do something other than crash. (After showing the "Hold Mastered!" stats screen?).

Method to reproduce:
1. Take all the steps necessary to unlock the "good ending", where we see the second sky. (E.g. Master the hold)

Either:
a. Load from "Epilogue: Twice South, Septence East"
or
b. Load from "King Dugan's Dungeon: First Level: Once North, Once East, and go down the stairs."

3. The game will eventually crash during the cutscene, after Beethro says the voice line "Our new home!".

System details:
Windows 10 version 22H1
TSS, Steam Edition, Version (5.1.1.483)

drod-tss.err:
*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 5/29/23 2:08AM ***
Import Parse Error: no element found at line 1:0
Assertion error in line 1303 of DbXML.cpp: "ImportXML(info.exportedDemos) == MID_ImportSuccessful"
Assertion error in line 1308 of DbXML.cpp: "ImportXML(info.exportedSavedGames) == MID_ImportSuccessful"

(Edit: This drod-tss.err seems to be related to a demo I downloaded. It doesn't seem related to the crash, because I tried again today and no new error log appeared.)

If I can add any more information, let me know.

Edit #2: If it helps at all, the game crash happens at 9:17 on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZoJ8IvZjvo , right before it shows the hold statistics. (I even have a "Victory!" replay demo of the room Epilogue 2S7E!)

[Last edited by terrafire123 at 06-05-2023 06:58 AM]
05-29-2023 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: TSS crashes during epilogue (After hold mastery) (+1)  
The got the same lines in my drod-tss.err as in the above post when downloading a room demo off caravel net in the Steam version of TSS. (5.1.1.498)

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 6/4/23 9:02AM ***
Assertion error in line 1303 of DbXML.cpp: "ImportXML(info.exportedDemos) == MID_ImportSuccessful"
Assertion error in line 1308 of DbXML.cpp: "ImportXML(info.exportedSavedGames) == MID_ImportSuccessful"

So it's possible it's unrelated to the crash described above.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 06-04-2023 09:11 AM]
06-04-2023 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Rank Points: 1067
icon Re: TSS crashes during epilogue (After hold mastery) (+2)  
Oh dear it's the bane of my existance: save import crashes. Maybe? If it's being sad twice then not spitting out other errors it could be a problem further down the pipeline.

If I can add any more information, let me know.

Is your save data still okay after the crash?

I'd also be interested to know if this is happening when completing others holds.

The got the same lines in my drod-tss.err as in the above post when downloading a room demo off caravel net in the Steam version of TSS. (5.1.1.498)

When you restart the game, is the downloaded demo available to view?

06-04-2023 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: TSS crashes during epilogue (After hold mastery) (+2)  
hyperme wrote:
When you restart the game, is the downloaded demo available to view?
I just checked and all the demos I downloaded (they all gave the error beep and these lines) are all still available to view.
06-04-2023 at 08:25 PM
hyperme
Hmm that's actually horrifying. My current suspect is something related to Steam achievements since that looks like the common Steam-only thread between completing a hold and downloading a demo.

06-04-2023 at 09:00 PM
terrafire123
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15

File: My Test hold June Fifth.hold (977 bytes)
Downloaded 21 times.
License: Public Domain
hyperme wrote:
Is your save data still okay after the crash?

1. My save data... seems to be OK? The Steam achievement unlocks when I first enter the room in Epilogue: 2S7E, so I have all the Steam achievements.

I also have all the rooms unlocked, and can restore directly to the Epilogue room. (Also, if I press F6, I see I have a demo called "TSS: Epilogue: 2S7E: Victory!"). But when I press "Restore", it sends me to my "Furthest Save" which seems to be where the last time I saved when I closed the steam client. (My "Furthest Save" seems to not have changed locations.), and I need to manually select KDD: First Level: 1N1E".

...But I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work? I've never really understood how "Furthest Save" in this game works, because getting 100% requires skipping around and loading from old saves in order to complete rooms I didn't get the first time around.

But I think my save data is still OK.

hyperme wrote:
I'd also be interested to know if this is happening when completing others holds.

2. I created a sample hold to test if another hold had the same problem, and I didn't have any crash. (Attached file of the hold I used to test it. Though it didn't give me a "HOLD STATISTICS" screen....)

3. If it helps at all, the game crash happens at 9:17 on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZoJ8IvZjvo , right before it shows the hold statistics. (I even have a "Victory!" replay demo of the room Epilogue 2S7E!)

4. (I've also just realized that I think the drod-tss.err is probably related to a demo I downloaded, not the crash. I don't have any additional drod-tss.err logs from today, even though I tried it and the game crashed twice more.)

[Last edited by terrafire123 at 06-05-2023 07:23 AM]
06-05-2023 at 06:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
icon Re: TSS crashes during epilogue (After hold mastery) (0)  
Okay, it looks like this isn't a data import issue. (Although something slightly wrong is happening somewhere)

There is perhaps something going wrong with the Win Game screen, but that doesn't have any Steam-only code. Very perplexing.

06-05-2023 at 11:25 AM
hyperme
I made a Steam build, but wasn't able to reproduce this issue. It wasn't properly "plugged in" to the Steam system however.

Can anyone else check if this problem occurs for them?

06-05-2023 at 02:08 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I played through the whole ending from Lonely Campsite to credits on Steam and experienced no crash. This was tested with my old imported save from 9 years ago. Achievements were awarded properly, too (I didn't have them yet).

I tried downloading a demo and got the same lines in drod.err as Kieran. Agreed that it looks like these lines are unrelated to the crash.

[Last edited by Doom at 06-05-2023 03:41 PM]
06-05-2023 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
The error log entries are actually the game being touchy about something being empty. Nothing actually harmful but it's best to not do the thing that annoys it. I've done a fix for that issue.

It terms of the crash, it seems unreplicated.

06-05-2023 at 04:07 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TSS crashes during epilogue (After hold mastery)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com