Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Linux (Continued from somewhere else....)
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Re: Linux (+1)  
Stefan wrote:
Control Center -> Desktop -> Taskbar -> Unselect 'Show windows from all desktops'. Or, right-click on the small bar beside the 'window-buttons' and select Configure Taskbar.
Yeah, I found out about that a bit later after I wrote the post. DROD's Law of Hints and Solutions prevails once again.

03-05-2006 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Linux (+1)  
A tip for KDE users:

Create a "link to application" and make it do the following:
dcop kicker kicker toggleShowDesktop (and place it on your taskbar)
It works like "show desktop" icon known from Windows. However it will fill your taskbar with "junk" if you use it repeatedly, so edit the shortcut and uncheck an option in advanced settings (sorry, I have polish language installed right now so I don't know how is it called. I should really reinstall english version.)

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-07-2006 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Linux (0)  
Errr, a "show desktop" icon is available in the panel-applet section!

With my install, it was added by default!

03-08-2006 at 12:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Ahhhh...it's so nice to be back. My installation has been fairly smooth, and I've barely needed the manual to install it (Except for anything dealing with the kernel - since the last one I used was 2.4 on x86, I figured that 2.6 on AMD 64 would be mucho different). I managed to solve a bootloader issue on my own (Which was the result of the manual telling me wrong), and I'm currently in the process of emerging KDE onto my system.

It's just like riding a bicycle - you can never forget. :)

07-29-2006 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Banjooie wrote:
Is your video card ATI? Cause I had to do some fiddling to get my ATI card to work.
It is, and I'm pretty sure that it's a combination of that along with integrated graphics still being on my system (Which, coincidently, are ATI as well). I still need to go into my BIOS to see if the integrated graphics are fully disabled, because at some points, the X server will actually attempt to load and cause my monitor to tell me that there's no signal.

Banjooie, what exactly did you have to do to get you drivers working? I know of the ATI Driver Wiki that I still need to give a shot, but was there any other information source you used, or just your hardcore Linux knowledge? :)

10-29-2006 at 08:28 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
A mostly-Linux centric question here, involving firewalls, IPv6 tunnels, and much confusion.

I'm trying to get a firewall up and running that does not interfere with my IPv6 tunnel; I cannot get Shorewall to accept traffic coming from my tunnel, or even to recognise the existence of said tunnel. I may be able to get add my own rules straight in ip6tables, but that would probably be broken down next time I make Shorewall... or would it? I'm growing confused. So, does anyone have a good tutorial for IPv6 firewalling on Linux? (Bonus points if it also explains *what* Shorewall has to do with IPv6, if anything)

What's the state of affairs on my box:
- Linux elyseum 2.6.17-2-k7 #1 SMP Fri Aug 11 20:51:38 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
- iptables/ip6tables v1.3.6
- shorewall 3.2.4
- ifconfig output:
Click here to view the secret text

What I want to achieve: a firewall that operates on both IPv4 and IPv6 traffic, and regulates inbound traffic (outbound traffic will probably be "anything goes"). Shorewall seems to do the trick for IPv4 and fills all my needs (including redirect from Internet port 80 to local port 8080). IPv6, on the other hand... my naive rules treated sit1 exactly as wlan0, but they don't help out. ping6 www.kame.net results in a nice "ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted".

What I'm wondering about: Do I even *want* to use IPv6 rules for an IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel, or should it be straight IPv4? (Which means there would be a problem in my setup elsewhere) Does Shorewall have IPv6-in-IPv4? I know it doesn't in versions 2.X.X, but I was somehow under the impression IPv6 got added in 3.X.X. Then again, if IPv6 is in, why is there a "DISABLE_IPV6" option then? (When "No", shorewall is supposed to let all IPv6 through, but it doesn't help in my case; when "Yes", it should set up some ip6tables rules to disable all IPv6 traffic, which is the case on my computer).

What works fine: The IPv6 tunnel worked without a glitch prior to setting up an actual firewall (I can fly without one, since I do have another firewall on the way to my computer, but that's not quite the same). Shorewall's rules for wlan0 also work fine, shutting down all unwanted traffic, redirecting port 80 as expected, and letting me ping the rest of the world. The problem isn't on the end of my IPv6 tunnel broker either.

What I've done before: Read the relevant parts of the Shorewall documentation and googling around, but to no avail. I've also tried other firewalls (say, Firestarter), but they don't seem to have *all* the features I require; so, while Shorewall is pretty much overkill for a personal firewall, it seems to be the program closest to my needs. That, and it should be good practice for the day when I can't stand my ISP's kinky router.

Thanks in advance if you can help me clear up that muddle.
11-14-2006 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
My 'expertise' here basically amounts to "install Firestarter and add exception rules for file sharing", so I can't be of much help beyond bumping the thread. Sorry... Trick? Jamie? Anyone?

11-16-2006 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Fafnir wrote:
Sorry... Trick? Jamie? Anyone?
Well, my expertise would be "installing iptables and configuring it by hand, whilst making sure IPv6 is off and stays off", so... next one?

np: Underworld - Mmm Skyscraper I Love You (Underworld 1992-2002 (Disc 1))

11-16-2006 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Banjooie, what exactly did you have to do to get you drivers working? I know of the ATI Driver Wiki that I still need to give a shot, but was there any other information source you used, or just your hardcore Linux knowledge? :)

Step 1: copy and past lib.2.0.so or whatever around.

Step 2: Do lots of crazy stuff involving xorg.conf, and modifications thereof.

Step 3: Discover that direct-rendering has been turned off in the process of making fglrx work better.

Step 4: Accidentally make it nigh-impossible to fix the entire shebang.

Step ?: Say screw it, reformat the whole thing, and just use the open source drivers that come with the freaking thing, and get okay FPS in WoW.

11-17-2006 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Linux (Continued from somewhere else....)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com