Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Easytown (Easy, right?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged

File: Easytown.drh (5.6 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Easytown (+4)  
Who's still playing DROD RPG in 2022, huh?

Well, I made a little level because I felt like it. As far as I know, I didn't use anything that should require the 1.3 update in this, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I've verified this is beatable, but there's a challenge scorepoint (hinted at after the end, and also you might be able to guess it anyway) that I haven't been able to quite make yet. I got to where I had the attack and defense, but was still a bit too shy on health. May add a few additional resources here and there to make it possible if nobody else can do it, either.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-11-2022 07:25 PM]
11-04-2022 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Easytown (+2)  
Xindaris wrote:
I didn't use anything that should require the 1.3 update in this, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
The hold doesn't import into the current Steam version (but does work in 1.3).

I think you'll have to actually make the hold in 1.2.8 to avoid this problem. As usual, we can't promote 1.3 holds until the patch is released.
11-04-2022 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
I confirm that I cannot play this in v1.2.8, so I played it in v1.3.

Overall, a neat little level, which took me 30-40 minutes after being REALLY rusty, but it was relatively easy, though there weren't many choices. I didn't take the challenge scorepoint because I wasn't aware of that at first, but I will try it tomorrow (after potential modifications).
Some general comments:

11-04-2022 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Easytown (0)  
Well, I guess this might just sit in architecture forever since it'd be way too much effort for me to copy all my work into a completely different installation..anyway.

Replies to Red-XIII:

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-05-2022 12:58 AM]
11-05-2022 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Easytown (+1)  
Not bad. Final score:

I didn't get the shield until right at the end. Easily the worst thing was thinking that the scrolls in 2N2E and 2N2W were the same as the ones in 2N and 3N. An icon of some kind would really help with that.

Still working on the challenge.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 11-05-2022 02:39 AM]
11-05-2022 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Hmm, I could definitely add text to the two scrolls that notify the player of multiplier increases to clarify that those are the only two ones that exist.

Edit: Updated file in the first post with this change.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-05-2022 04:51 AM]
11-05-2022 at 04:48 AM
Red-XIII
Xindaris wrote:
Replies to Red-XIII:

Yes, that is what I meant by "choices", but again, it is just related to the fact that the level is overall small, but it is not necessarily a bad thing. Same thing for not knowing the challenge at the start, it is just my personal preference.

For 2N1E, yes, I did that room later, when WWs dealt no damage, so I went back from mud babies passage. Since DEF is not the most important aspect in this level I think that it is always convenient to do this room later (IMO).

I tried the challenge and failed miserably! I managed to get the sword and shield and open all the rooms, but the health was always very low. If it's possible, I think it would be really really tight and hard.

11-05-2022 at 10:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Red-XIII wrote:
I tried the challenge and failed miserably! I managed to get the sword and shield and open all the rooms, but the health was always very low. If it's possible, I think it would be really really tight and hard.
It is very tight...but not impossible! After a couple of failed attempts, I completed the challenge with 47 hit points to spare.

It's a neat little hold. Maybe a bit more linear than I like, but at the same time that makes it more accessible. Not much to add that hasn't already been said. In any case, this is another proof that even small RPG holds are tricky to optimize.
11-05-2022 at 01:03 PM
Xindaris
Hmm, okay.

Well--my goal all along was to make this fairly small and not too complex, and of course there's a ceiling to how hard I can make it because I need to test changes and I'm not exactly the best RPG player. So I'm alright with it feeling a bit on the easy/linear side, although I do have the opinion that it (rather intentionally) opens up a little in 2N, and a lot in 3N.

The challenge seems maybe tighter than I would like. Perhaps I can increase the size of (at least some of) the health potions in 2N2E, and also the one in 3N? Or add a potion or two elsewhere...maybe add another blue door with health behind it in the "late game" to give the skeleton key more value?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-05-2022 04:07 PM]
11-05-2022 at 04:05 PM
Red-XIII
Xindaris wrote:
The challenge seems maybe tighter than I would like. Perhaps I can increase the size of (at least some of) the health potions in 2N2E, and also the one in 3N? Or add a potion or two elsewhere...maybe add another blue door with health behind it in the "late game" to give the skeleton key more value?

Increasing the size of the potions in 3N and 2N2E seems a good idea, but at least in my case, it would have been useful to have large potions right before the wooden sword, since the goblin is quite nasty. Another help might be using medium size potions instead of tiny ones in 2N2W.
I don't know how easier the challenge might be with those modifications, but for sure it will still be tough for non-expert players.

11-05-2022 at 04:51 PM
Xindaris
Okay, I've backed up a copy of the level with the old setup just in case, but here are my changes for a new update, now attached to the first post:

-Some bigger potions in 3N, 2N2E, 2N2W.
-Extra potions in 1N1W: Three tiny behind a yellow door, three large behind a blue door.

My reasoning for the second change is (1) hopefully making that skeleton key more tempting, and (2) making 1N1W not completely pointless to enter prior to heading for 2N2W. If handing over 3 large potions for a blue is too much, I could reduce one, two, or all three to medium, I suppose. An early version (before I finished the rooms connected to 3N) actually had all large potions in 1N1E, but I thought that gave way too much health.

I'm a little reluctant to modify things before the goblin/sword, since I kind of like the goblin setup behaving as a sort of 'surprise boss' and the mud mother actually just being a roadblock you have to clear that boss to reach. But hopefully this will overall make it feel like there are more interesting options, and bring the challenge scorepoint a little more into reach.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-05-2022 05:32 PM]
11-05-2022 at 05:28 PM
Doom
Xindaris wrote:
So I'm alright with it feeling a bit on the easy/linear side, although I do have the opinion that it (rather intentionally) opens up a little in 2N, and a lot in 3N.
Fair. A big part of why I found the level linear is that 3N1E/2N2E seemed like obvious last rooms. They're more expensive to enter, 3N1E gains value the longer you wait and 2N2E wasn't making any profit unless you got the left side gems first. Also, 2N2W is probably a bit undertuned compared to the other late rooms. There's a lot of loot in it and the monsters were doing less than 200 damage combined.

If you want the post-3N-choice to be harder, it might be worth adjusting some of these four rooms.

All of this was from the context of the challenge playthrough. I'm sure there's more routing freedom normally.
11-05-2022 at 10:49 PM
Red-XIII

File: screen.png (2.8 MB)
Downloaded 282 times.
I managed to complete the challenge!
I can confidently say that the first part (getting the sword) is the hardest. In this run, I took the shield and the ATK gems near it as soon as possible, before the sword. The middle part (western part) was also tough, had to use some of the potions in 1N1E to survive. For the last part, what saved me was using a green key to access 3N1E as late as possible, get all the goodies, and then 3N2E. Thus, I had a spare blue key which I used in 1N1W, which made A LOT of difference in beating the final enemies. Two large potions were enough, I got the scorepoint with more than 900 HP (stats attached) when taking all of the potions and with the skeleton key.
Also, I opened the red door in 3N1W and then remember it right before the end, which mean that there is some leeway now, which is good I think.
I would now rate the normal run difficulty 5.5, and the challenge scorepoint a 7.5/8.

Stats:

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 11-06-2022 04:36 PM]
11-06-2022 at 03:50 PM
Xindaris
Neat!

Uh, your post reminded me of a change I made in the most recent update but then forgot to mention: Namely, it used to be one attack and one defense gem next to the shield, but since someone mentioned defense isn't really at a premium I changed the defense to attack to slightly more encourage going that way pre-goblin fight.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-06-2022 08:14 PM]
11-06-2022 at 08:13 PM
Xindaris
I forgot that I wanted to reply a little to Doom's post:

I might consider making the monsters slightly tougher, or just adding one or two more of them, in 2N2W. But I actually do want that room (at least when taken in isolation) to be a bit "friendlier" than most other rooms at that part of the level since the player has only one opportunity to go there at all in the first place, and must cross a certain attack threshold by the time they leave to even be able to exit at all.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-07-2022 09:40 PM]
11-07-2022 at 09:40 PM
Xindaris
Update:
Tweak to 2N2W, basically just taking the monsters that used to be present and doubling each. I don't think this will actually increase the cost very much, but please let me know if this makes the challenge scorepoint unattainable.

11-11-2022 at 07:26 PM
Red-XIII

File: screen_score.png (2.8 MB)
Downloaded 180 times.
Xindaris wrote:
Update:
Tweak to 2N2W, basically just taking the monsters that used to be present and doubling each. I don't think this will actually increase the cost very much, but please let me know if this makes the challenge scorepoint unattainable.

I had a feeling that this wouldn't change pretty much anything, and it didn't. In my old run, and in this one as well, I killed all the enemies in 2N2W, get the ATK gem behind the two gray mans, and then took the gems in the south part. I also tried another route in this run, that is, avoid taking the three ATK gems in 3N1W before entering 2N2W, and fun fact, I got the challenge with way more HPs than last time, but three score points less (due to being 12 ATK weaker), see screen below.
I think this is good, because it leaves more space to optimization.

If you want to make the choice in 2N2W harder, I doubt that doubling the monsters is the correct approach. It will always be convenient to kill all the monsters to get the goody behind them.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 11-14-2022 07:00 PM]
11-14-2022 at 07:00 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
I recorded my first impressions:

Sorry there is no game sounds, I turned them all off then forgot to turn them back on for recording.
12-17-2022 at 08:54 PM
Xindaris
Hey, awesome! Thanks for doing the video and your comments during it.

It's interesting that I had the impression from several people's comments in this thread that almost nobody bothered to go for the shield before the goblin (instead saving it for the return trip from the east path out of 3N), but you seemed to see it the way I did--as essential equipment for such a hard-hitting boss.

The skipper-looking thing in 3N1E is the one custom monster in the level, an "Invinco-Skipper" with 9001 HP/DEF and 100 ATK, just basically a more variable damage toll for passing through that room than hot tiles would've been, and which slightly rewards taking more defense.

I'm kind of proud of the bomb room setup, since it's kind of a mixture of picking which things you want and coming up with a path that maximizes how much you can get before everything explodes. Maybe it'd be interesting to make a level set where every opportunity to get stuff is like that?

I think at some point between originally building 3N1W and now, I started thinking of the 3 attack gems beyond the red door as mutually exclusive from the other stuff in the room; it's clearly not true, although you have to secure the ability to come back to the room to claim both sets of things.

As for the entrance and 1N not warning the player, well...it's kind of the one "joke" or "troll" of the level that I intended (beyond the free potions that obviously aren't free). I felt like saving the warning/information about that until 2N wasn't so far in to make the redo too irritating, but still gets to be a surprise.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-17-2022 11:24 PM]
12-17-2022 at 11:23 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Easytown (Easy, right?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com