Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (My first contest - hope it works)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bbb
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 215
IP: Logged
icon Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (+3)  
The goal in this contest is to create a fun level which showcases backtracking problems.

Rules:
- Entries should comply with HA guidelines with the exception of backtracking problems which are encouraged.
- Entries should be completable, and all rooms in entry should be reachable and all secrets conquerable, though not necessarily in the same run.

Recommendations (which architects and voters are free to ignore or reinterpret if they want to):
- Try to have a mix of classic and novel backtracking problems.
- It would be nice to have architect's notes about the problems either as the player moves through the level or when he finishes it.
- Scripting is permitted, but unexpected scripting (tomato surprises) is often not fun.
- Feel free to have both problems that would disqualify a hold in HA, and problems which are "just" bad practice.

Scoring:
- 5 points for quality of the backtracking theme.
- 5 points for general quality of entry as a hold, though without specifically penalizing for backtracking problems.

Towards a Compilation:
- I'm not sure publishing a compilation will be possible, since one of the HA rules is overridden. If not, a compilation can be placed in Architecture.
- It may be better not to include exit stairs from an incomplete level, to keep "problems" localized to single entries. If necessary, we can add scripting later to fix that.

Miscellaneous:
- Deadline is the end of June.
- I'll open a submission thread when I get forum permissions for that. Update: Opened.
- I'll try to clarify rules if necessary.

[Last edited by bbb at 05-22-2022 05:54 AM]
05-22-2022 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
icon Re: Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (0)  
Reminder: We are about half way from opening the contest to the deadline.
06-12-2022 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
Last week for submissions!

I would appreciate if those of you who haven't submitted yet but plan to do so, indicated (publicly or privately) their intentions and if they would need an extension of the deadline.

06-26-2022 at 12:50 PM
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
I have an idea I'm working on and I should be able to finish it in time. Wouldn't object to an extension, but I think I'll be fine without it.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 06-26-2022 04:12 PM]
06-26-2022 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kalin
Rank Points: 184
I've started my entry. I think I can finish by the end of the month.
06-26-2022 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bbb
Thanks.

Deadline is coming up!
06-29-2022 at 07:42 AM
bbb
Official deadline is tonight.

Practically, I'll accept whatever is submitted until I start creating the entry compilation for voting on Monday.
06-30-2022 at 05:27 PM
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1530
Hey, does anyone know what's going on with this contest? Is bbb okay?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

07-10-2022 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bbb
icon Re: Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (+1)  
I'm dealing with the contest now. A week late. Sorry about that.

Last week was a busy week, and free time was spent on two levels of EP instead of the contest.
07-11-2022 at 07:23 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Architectural Bad Habits: Backtracking (My first contest - hope it works)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com