Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "freeze frame" mode (while watching a demo)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
IP: Logged
icon "freeze frame" mode (+2)  
When watching a demo, the up/down arrow keys make it go faster and slower, and the space bar pauses. To make it easier to study demos in which Beethro does fancy footwork, how about a "freeze frame" mode using the left/right arrow keys?

It works like this: you are watching a demo, you hit the left arrow key... the demo goes one move backwards, and ends up in a paused state (even if it wasn't paused already). You can go backwards in the demo as far as you like by hitting the left arrow again. The right arrow behaves the same way, moving the demo foward one step at a time.
12-09-2004 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: "freeze frame" mode (0)  
I think it's a great idea. Especially since I keep hitting left or right instead of up and down and getting knocked out of the demo, so in addition to the fact that the functionality will be very useful, it will also prevent that from happening :)

12-09-2004 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
Here's another random thought on demos: how about an indicator so that we know the speed that a demo is running and/or a counter that shows the number of moves made so far in the demo? I usually speed up demos to watch them, so it'd be comforting to know how much faster than reality I'm actually watching one.
12-10-2004 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
bdcribbs wrote:
When watching a demo, the up/down arrow keys make it go faster and slower, and the space bar pauses. To make it easier to study demos in which Beethro does fancy footwork, how about a "freeze frame" mode using the left/right arrow keys?

It works like this: you are watching a demo, you hit the left arrow key... the demo goes one move backwards, and ends up in a paused state (even if it wasn't paused already). You can go backwards in the demo as far as you like by hitting the left arrow again. The right arrow behaves the same way, moving the demo foward one step at a time.
Sure, it's a great idea, but Matt S. (who originally implemented the ff/rewind functionality) and I have both been a bit hesitant to do this. And with good reason -- I decided to add it today, and it took a lot longer than I expected it to. :? There are actually a lot of subtleties that need to be taken care of, such as on room transitions. The good news, though, is that I found a couple possible bugs involving demo playback. :party

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-15-2004 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If you decide it's more trouble than its worth and don't include it, could you perhaps make it so that up arrow acts like right and down arrow like left? It's a more natural configuration for me for ff/rewind and it'll prevent the aggravation of my being kicked out of demos for pressing the wrong arrow key...

(of course, if you are going to implement the "freeze frame" idea in full, never mind about this)

12-16-2004 at 12:53 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Might it also be possible to have an option to skip to a particular move in a demo? Sometimes I want to watch just the end of a long demo, but I need to wait for DROD to play the rest of it first.

12-18-2004 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
minhtuan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
All could be solved by showing the number of the moves in the demo screen, and we have hotkey to go from a particular move (e.g 325 out of 1000 moves.)
Left-right arrow while watching demo is an excellent idea!!! I wish I could have it.
04-18-2005 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
so basically demos should play like movies: a play/pause button, a "one move forward" button, and a little scrollbar to move back and forth through it. just like yer quicktime player, but with less intrusive adware :)

04-18-2005 at 06:37 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
minhtuan wrote:
All could be solved by showing the number of the moves in the demo screen
I'm adding this as an option that can be toggled on the demo screen with F7.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-30-2005 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "freeze frame" mode (while watching a demo)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com