Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A snake crash
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged
icon A snake crash (0)  
I filled a room with crumbly wall until there were only seven rows remaining at the top of the screen. I filled snakes that were three spaces long, starting from the lower left of the rectangle left open, clockwise, heads down. At about the seventh one, I put a two length which overlapped the previous snake. Said snake no longer had a tail. I tried to delete it, a box popped up, I clicked yes, and it crashed.

06-15-2003 at 05:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: A snake crash (0)  
I'm having trouble reproducing this bug. From your post, I gather that you accidentally made two snakes overlap each other, causing the first placed snake to lose its tail. But I can't get the snakes to overlap each other - the editor won't let me. Perhaps you could explain in greater detail where the snakes were placed, as I'm not sure just from reading your post.

06-15-2003 at 12:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Okay...possibly a more detail through less detail thing...Put one snake down wherever. Put another snake so that it would be a continuation of the first snake, same direction (horizontal definitely does this) and delete the snake you just placed fully. The tail of the first snake should disappear. Then, if you try to delete it, the game crashes, leaves, exits, whatever.

06-15-2003 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Hmm.. now I understand. And I got it to work. However, there is no problem if you just place the second snake and then delete it. This only happens if you delete the second snake by clicking on its head during placement. Anyway, I'll enter this bug in the database. Thanks for the explanation.

06-15-2003 at 01:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Here's how I reproduce this one:

Start an empty room.
Put a snake in the upper left corner, going down 3 squares.
Put a snake head immediately to the right of the tail of the other snake. Click on the tail of the other snake, then on the head of the new snake you're putting down.
The tail of the other one will disappear.

For any coders (myself included) wanting to look into this:

in CDbRoom::RemoveLongMonsterPieces()
the line:
if (!bIsSerpent(GetTSquare(wX+dx, wY+dy))) return true;

It should fail here and return, but it's finding the OTHER serpent.

06-15-2003 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
It is happening with other things as well.

When I accidentally placed a gate on one of the two circled gates in the picture below, DROD crashed.
[siteimage]Level Editor Bug 1.GIF[/siteimage]
I repeated this with each square of both gates, and the same happened.
I then removed the orbs they were opened by (shown by blue arrows on the picture), and this time DROD didn't crash.
Once I put the orbs back, doing anything to the gates made DROD crash again, even trying to delete them.
I tried to replicate the setup in another room, and it crashed again, but moving the position of the gates seemed to make the problem go away.
What do you think happened?

06-15-2003 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
In short, it was a bug. In build 21 there shouldn't be any more crashing for doors or orbs or snakes or anything else in the editor room. If there is, let's get it taken care of quick! :P

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-21-2003 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : A snake crash
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com