Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Cannot Run Program on Windows ME
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged
icon Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
Caravel DROD: Architect's Edition Build 16.

After downloading and installing the game, I tried to run it. A message box popped up:

"Failed to Start DROD

Couldn't access DROD data. If you are running DROD from a networked location, this could be a cause of the problem. It's also possible that another application is trying to access DROD data at the same time; you may wish to retry running DROD after other applications have been closed."

I am not running DROD from a networked location. I closed all programs I was currently running and tried to restart the program, but the same message appeared. I restarted my computer and CTRL + ALT + DEL all programs except explorer, then tried to run the program, the same error message appeared.

I can't continue testing until this is resolved. >:(

I've also entered this bug in the database. -C.W.
06-15-2003 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
I downloaded and installed Caravel DROD: Architect's Edition Build 16.

Running on Windows XP Professional.

When I first tried to run it, a DROD window briefly popped up and quickly disappeared. It was much to quick to see anything, if there was anything to see. I ran DROD again, and all was fine.

While this is different than Clay's report, I put it here as they're both "installation first-run weirdness".

Anybody else have any problems at all like this? Or did anyone else have it run perfectly the first time?

06-15-2003 at 05:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
Same problem as Clayton here, except on Windows 98.

06-15-2003 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Same problem as Schik, and I'm on the same system.

06-15-2003 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I have no trouble getting DROD to run. I'm on Win XP Home edition, and I have administrator access to the machine. Might have something to do with that.

06-15-2003 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Hmm. I have Clayton's problem on my Windows 98 machine although it is networked. The data is all on the hard drive of both machines on the network though so it shouldn't be a problem - unless just the presence of a network is causing trouble, which seems highly unlikely. The other machine on the network runs DROD just fine. Maybe it's a network + Win 98/ME problem?

"Oook!"
06-16-2003 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Okay, this is the #1 bug to fix since it is holding up Clayton from testing. (Not joking--his awesome power must be unleashed!)

Could you guys see if build 17 fixes this? If it doesn't, I'll be angry. But if it does, I'll be *really* angry at Microsoft for something stupid they did.

-Erik

Task Summary:
Cannot run program in Windows ME or 98

Original Comment:
After downloading and installing the game, I tried to run it. A message box popped up:

"Failed to Start DROD

Couldn't access DROD data. If you are running DROD from a networked location, this could be a cause of the problem. It's also possible that another application is trying to access DROD data at the same time; you may wish to retry running DROD after other applications have been closed."

I am not running DROD from a networked location. I closed all programs I was currently running and tried to restart the program, but the same message appeared. I restarted my computer and CTRL + ALT + DEL all programs except explorer, then tried to run the program, the same error message appeared.

I can't continue testing until this is resolved.

06-16-2003 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Never mind. My fix in build 17 isn't good. Fortunately, I was able to reproduce the bug on a Win98 computer here. Will try to get a fix into the next build.

-Erik

06-16-2003 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Build 19's Fix isn't any good either, at least not for me.

I downloaded the update. Installed. I didn't get the message this time, and was really excited, as the music started playing and I was prompted for my name. I did so, and the window stayed black. The program stopped responding. CTRL + ALT + DEL. Now nothing at all happens when I attempt to run it. I've uninstalled DROD completely, and am going to download the full build 19 instead of the update now, but I don't think it will make a difference.

I'm sad... I need DROD.
06-16-2003 at 10:40 PM
key-smiter
Rank Points: 121
I tried the full build 19 install on my ME machine, which resulted in what seems to be a functional installation.

First time through it didn't offer to upgrade, but the second time it did. Weird . . .
06-17-2003 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
Build 19's Fix isn't any good either, at least not for me.

I downloaded the update. Installed. I didn't get the message this time, and was really excited, as the music started playing and I was prompted for my name. I did so, and the window stayed black.
Unfortunately, we have a very slow startup (which might be something else to look at). If you wait say... a full minute to be safe, is it still showing the black screen?
The program stopped responding. CTRL + ALT + DEL. Now nothing at all happens when I attempt to run it. I've uninstalled DROD completely, and am going to download the full build 19 instead of the update now, but I don't think it will make a difference.

I'm sad... I need DROD.
I understand!

-Erik

06-17-2003 at 12:14 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Re: Re: Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Unfortunately, we have a very slow startup (which might be something else to look at)...
Hmm...it starts up in just a second on my home machine. How slow is very slow?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-17-2003 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
key-smiter
My ME installation starts up in a couple of seconds, but . . .

key-smiter wrote:
First time through it didn't offer to upgrade, but the second time it did. Weird . . .

And after the third startup (and fourth, etc), when I tried accessing my "test" hold, DROD crashed.
06-17-2003 at 12:54 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
mrimer wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Unfortunately, we have a very slow startup (which might be something else to look at)...
Hmm...it starts up in just a second on my home machine. How slow is very slow?
I'll time it...

5 seconds. On the other computer, 8 seconds. The black screen is probably a little unencouraging. I just wanted to make sure Clayton wasn't shutting down DROD before it finished loading.

I'm almost certain the delay is caused by opening the databases. I think it might even be the new stream method used for opening Metakit db with a Unicode filepath. I can think of some useful things to do if this proves to be the cause.

-Erik

06-17-2003 at 01:04 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
key-smiter wrote:
And after the third startup (and fourth, etc), when I tried accessing my "test" hold, DROD crashed.
Ugh.

So now can you get the crash every time you access your test hold?

-Erik

06-17-2003 at 01:14 AM
key-smiter
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
key-smiter wrote:
Ugh.

So now can you get the crash every time you access your test hold?

-Erik

Yes. More precisely, I click on the "Where" block, select my test hold and {poof} DROD is gone.

The installation on my XP machine behaves more in accordance with design.

06-17-2003 at 01:24 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
key-smiter wrote:
Yes. More precisely, I click on the "Where" block, select my test hold and {poof} DROD is gone.
Good! I like consistency.

Russ, if you have time, could you please put drod1_6.dat, player.dat, and text.dat into a zip archive and e-mail it to erikh2000 at yahoo dot com and mrimer at hotmail dot com? These are the .dats found in the "data" directory of the installation that is crashing.

I am hoping hard that it crash me too.

-Erik

06-17-2003 at 01:37 AM
key-smiter
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cannot Run Program on Windows ME (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Russ, if you have time, could you please put drod1_6.dat, player.dat, and text.dat into a zip archive and e-mail it to erikh2000 at yahoo dot com and mrimer at hotmail dot com?
-Erik

The zip is in the mail.

06-17-2003 at 02:10 AM
ClaytonW
Guess what!? Completely uninstalling DROD and installing the full build (not the update) got it to work on my system!

I'm off to take this puppy for a spin! :D
06-17-2003 at 04:04 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
ClaytonW wrote:
Guess what!? Completely uninstalling DROD and installing the full build (not the update) got it to work on my system!

I'm off to take this puppy for a spin! :D
Woo hoo! The master is back! :glasses

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-17-2003 at 04:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Cannot Run Program on Windows ME
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com